How many guns before you are hoarding them?

walton6467

How many guns do you have to have before people start raising their eyebrows at you and whispering behind your back that you are hoarding? I have six handguns and three long guns and all total probably a couple thousand rounds of ammo in five or six calibers.

My brother jokes that I'm hoarding guns just to get under my skin and today I saw one of those internet demotivational posters that showed a guy with a dozen long guns and a dozen or so handguns and it was called HOARDER.

What makes you a hoarder when it comes to guns? How many is unhealthy?

Uhmmm..... thats does not even qualify as collection in my group of friends just a solid start..... :hiding::tinfoil:

Besides everyone qualifies as a theraputic aid,now if I could just get a perscription... :whistle:

Guest rebeldrummer

Easy. If you have to add on to your house, you're hoarding.

Even if AFTER the add on there is just so much empty space to be filled? Doesn't that just means he can keep adding until its filled?

I know, it's a vicious cycle.....but still :)

Hoarding? I would think over 10,000 would be hoarding. And I am not even close to that number so I am good to go. :)

I wish I was close to that number does that make me a potential hoarder ? Lol

Far as I'm concerned, you can never, ever have too many guns! Ahahaha! I'd rather have a thousand guns than a thousand ounces of gold. ...No, maybe not, I could buy ten-thousand guns with a thousand ounces of gold... with room for ammo! Hmmmm.

Really, though... as long as you have time to use them and care for them, you can have as many guns as you want. If I walked into a guy's house and he had fifty rifles and shotguns in beautiful wood gun racks, I wouldn't scoff, I'd probably drop to my knees, which would be soon joined by my jaw. :D

• Like 1

If the value of the guns is approaching the value of the house they are in

-or-

If you are going though the safe and find a gun you don't remember buying

.....it may be considered hoarding. Know quite a few people like this.

Despite what everyone will say....there is a point when it gets a out of control

If the value of the guns is approaching the value of the house they are in

-or-

If you are going though the safe and find a gun you don't remember buying

.....it may be considered hoarding. Know quite a few people like this.

Despite what everyone will say....there is a point when it gets a out of control

Dammit! I may have a problem. :shake:

I would say as long as you dont have over 2 of an exact model, you are good. You are a collector, worst case.

Unless we're talking Nagants right? Out of the few people I know that know about them I'd say very few think anything of it at all. I like to collect things always have since I was a little kid.

I do think my family thought the amount of ammo I keep was weird until we went on a family range day. After they learned that we went through 1500 rounds of 22, 300 9mm, 200 7.62x39, and probably about 100-150 38/357 they started getting the idea.

It was also a real eye opener when I said I would be bringing only enough for myself and my parents on the next trip and everyone else had to buy their own. They showed up gripping and yet bragging about spending about $100 and were shocked at how little they got to shoot. They thought bullets were free or something. Now they understand why I buy a few boxes every week or so even if I'm not planning on shooting anytime soon.

I say buy as many as you can without sacrificing you or your family's quality of life and forget what anyone thinks. Haters got to hate.

• Like 1

Its not hoarding IMO when it is something that is useful.

I would say as long as you dont have over 2 of an exact model, you are good. You are a collector, worst case.

:doh: I guess I do have a problem.....but I like it! :dunno:

I consider it being a custodian of history for future generations.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

I believe guns are tools. Example, I have a large array of mechanical tools for just about anything imagineable that needs fixed for the shade tree mechanic and home owner, probably a little obessive and over the top, but nonetheless a large array of tools. Spent years buying top name tools from ebay when the price was right. Am I a hoarder of craftsman tools, no, but I am prepared for the what if (hate to borrow any tool from anyone). My guns are similiar, I have an array of guns for different situations, from simple plinking into aluminum cans, precision benchrest, to sporting clays, to squirrel hunting, deer hunting, bear hunting, home protection, CCW, CCW for winter, CCW for summer, CCW for formal occasions, and then there are the collectibles, oh by the way the handme downs too. I don't consider myself a hoarder, do you? Maybe on 2nd thoughts, maybe I need intervention. Could someone send me to Exeter, NH for intervention for maybe 2 or 3 weeks, I hear there is a good place there.

Not sure, I just need one more, maybe two and I'm good. And some suppressors, maybe some SBRs to suppress. And a new hunting rifle, and a target pistol, and a shorter shotgun, and a longer shotgun... And more Garands.

• Like 1