300 Blackout as a "End of Times" caliber

I was talking to a friend yesterday about what we need to survive a while. Food, water, shelter, heat and protection.

As I was talking to him I realized that the 300 might be a perfect survival caliber and why the 223 can be problematic compared to the 300. I am not talking just an AR only but single shots and bolt actions as well.

The 300 uses less powder to launch a larger, heavier bullet with more energy. This saves powder in the long run. And because it is a larger caliber you can use a wider variety of powders to load it.

You can use ANY bullet designed for any 30 caliber rifle. It can be a bullet for a 30 Carbine or for a 300 Winmag. The 300 will be able to use it. This makes finding bullets for reloading easier.

It is easy to cast bullets for the 300. Casting 22 bullets can be troublesome and on top of that you cannot push then to 223 velocities if you do. The 300 does not push the cast bullets hard enough to be a problem in most cases. You do not need to stock up on bullets that will only work with one caliber. You can stock up on lead that will work with most calibers. Cast bullets will expand like most quality jacketed SP's or HP's.

Brass is just as common as 223 because it is made from 223. And it will last just as long. And in a worst case scenario you can pick up empty 223's laying on the ground and make 300 brass.

You can load it with 50 grain round balls at very mild velocities to hunt squirrel, you can load slow, heavy (over 200 grain) loads for use with a suppressor or fast loads for hunting larger game.

Within all useable ranges the 300 has more energy and punches a bigger hole in the targer. And does so with a shorter barrel.

With an AR any accessory or component that will work with a 223 will also work with a 300. Be it magazines, bolts, gas blocks, you name it and it will work.

I was never a fan of the 300 until I really started reading into it. And then once I got my first and started reloading for it I realized this caliber is pretty amazing. I can say that if I had to pick one caliber the 300 would be it. I would pick it over the 223 any day of the week.

Dolomite

• Like 2
Thanks for posting this, Dolomite. I've seen the cartridge mentioned several time in my travels over the Internet but never paid much attention. I had made up my mind that I would go with 5.56 NATO when I start an AR15 build but this thread has me researching 300 AAC BLACKOUT, this morning and I'm really liking what I'm finding.

Good stuff.

[sup][size=3]Only downside to a Blackout as an "end of times" rifle would be if you have to go mobile. Since it's not yet common might be a little hard to pick up along the way. Of course if you're willing to travel with the additional weight of small casting and reloading kit that may be viable. I've heard a smoothbore flintlock expressed as a true survival gun since you can make your own powder, knap your own flints, use hornet nest or paper for wadding and load any projectile that will fit down the bore. :)[/size][/sup]

[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1351855975' post='837645']

You can use ANY bullet designed for any 30 caliber rifle. It can be a bullet for a 30 Carbine or for a 300 Winmag. The 300 will be able to use it. This makes finding bullets for reloading easier.

[/quote]

Can you re-qualify this? Any 30 caliber?

It actually has already been used many times in real "end of world" scenarios across the Globe.Mostly third world countries and genocide. Most folks refer to it as the AK47 in 7.62x39! :up:

In all seriousness, it is definitley a great round for those purposes for the same reason as the x39. Only problem I can see is the gun more so than the caliber. Also if you have the resources to load with all those components then ammo is not going to be the biggest issue.

I am all about it once the supplies get going. It is still a bit harder to find than 223 and a little more expensive to make.

It seems to be a better round than 223, period, for the intended purpose and for medium game hunting.

I would rather save lead than powder for now ... the more lead and copper in each one the more it costs, and bullets are the most expensive part of the round.

Its on my go get one list, but not in a hurry. If O gets in, maybe I will snag one sooner than I can really afford, if not, in a year or 2.
[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1351886493' post='837934']
I am all about it once the supplies get going. It is still a bit harder to find than 223 and a [color=#FF0000]little more expensive to make.[/color]

It seems to be a better round than 223, period, for the intended purpose and for medium game hunting.

I would rather save lead than powder for now ... the more lead and copper in each one the more it costs, and bullets are the most expensive part of the round.

Its on my go get one list, but not in a hurry. If O gets in, maybe I will snag one sooner than I can really afford, if not, in a year or 2.
[/quote]

It costs me .06 each per loaded round, .03 for the primer and .03 in powder. That is cheaper than most 22's. You can't even buy the heads for a 223 for that.

Dolomite
[quote name='Raoul' timestamp='1351902988' post='838046']
Philosophically this sounds great. However, in a real SHTF scenario, seems to me your gonna be "living off the land". Your prey will probably be carrying .223/556 and 9mm.
It is what it is.
[/quote]

I tend to agree with this.
I agree that 5.56 will be more readily available, however so should .308; that's where I think resources should be placed if you are thinking about going the .30 caliber route. This way your not necessarily tied to the reloaders bench if the need arises to be mobile.
[quote name='trevorst' timestamp='1351942309' post='838239']
I agree that 5.56 will be more readily available, however so should .308; that's where I think resources should be placed if you are thinking about going the .30 caliber route. This way your not necessarily tied to the reloaders bench if the need arises to be mobile.
[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking as I read this thread. I have both .223 and .308 AR’s and Bolts. .308 is my
“go to” in a rifle combat/hunting round.

But then I have absolutely no intention of reloading or making bullets. As to the availability of ammo in an “End of Times” scenario I feel the same way Sgt. Mag. Plumley did about rifles… “Time comes I need one, sir, there'll be plenty of 'em lying on the ground.”

If I had to move (which I don’t see happening unless it’s a natural disaster), and I could only take one rifle it would be my 308 Panther. It can be used in any rifle application. If I had room for a second it would be my 308 Remington 700 VLS .
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1351889034' post='837951']
It costs me .06 each per loaded round, .03 for the primer and .03 in powder. That is cheaper than most 22's. You can't even buy the heads for a 223 for that.

Dolomite
[/quote]

are you casting for it? I have not tried too hard for cheap 30 cal slugs in bulk, could just be a misconception from buying the 100 round packs for way too high a price. Edited by Jonnin

[quote name='AK Guy' timestamp='1351873035' post='837799']
It actually has already been used many times in real "end of world" scenarios across the Globe.Mostly third world countries and genocide. Most folks refer to it as the AK47 in 7.62x39! :up:

In all seriousness, it is definitley a great round for those purposes for the same reason as the x39. Only problem I can see is the gun more so than the caliber. Also if you have the resources to load with all those components then ammo is not going to be the biggest issue.
[/quote]

Horse feathers. There's nothing wrong with an AR.

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1351947330' post='838272']

Might wanna qualify that, G. In a bolt gun. An AR limits the range of bullets.
[/quote]

An AR can shoot and cycle 100g-250g bullets. Or at least mine can. The only issue is with some flat point bullets.

Even if you don't cast you can still load 300 for about .13 each if you watch for sales on pulled bullets.

I have zero intention of hunting anyone to get 5.56. I am in a pretty remote area so as long as I can take game I will be fine. And I have enough land to support my and my group.

Dolomite
[quote name='nightrunner' timestamp='1351948923' post='838286']
Dolomite, would you care to expound more on the 50gr balls at low velocities for squirrel?

Can you get that low of a charge to burn reliably and consistently? And not destroy meat?
[/quote]

I need to do a little more testing. But you take a 00 buck and push it through a sizer to bring it down to size then load it using a pistol powder.

Dolomite
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1351949387' post='838289']
I need to do a little more testing. But you take a 00 buck and push it through a sizer to bring it down to size then load it using a pistol powder.

Dolomite
[/quote]

While you're pushing weird things thru your gun, these might be fun to play with. They weigh 30 grains more than a piece of 00, but are still downright cute...

[url="http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142182/hornady-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-86-grain-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-100"]http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142182/hornady-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-86-grain-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-100[/url]
  • Admin Team
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1351950591' post='838302']

While you're pushing weird things thru your gun, these might be fun to play with. They weigh 30 grains more than a piece of 00, but are still downright cute...

[url="http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142182/hornady-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-86-grain-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-100"]http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142182/hornady-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-86-grain-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-100[/url]
[/quote]
I saw some of those out at Bass Pro the other day. I had the same thought. They might prove effective on game within a reasonable range.
[quote name='Hi Point Hooligan' timestamp='1351990280' post='838570']
Well I have this crazy idea that you should have a weapon that will chamber what ever your local military/guard uses.. Makes it easy if you should have to break into the local armory and liberate some ammo...
[/quote]

And you think I don't have one or two of those?

Dolomite