300 Blackout as a "End of Times" caliber

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1351950591' post='838302']
While you're pushing weird things thru your gun, these might be fun to play with. They weigh 30 grains more than a piece of 00, but are still downright cute...

[url="http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142182/hornady-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-86-grain-round-nose-soft-point-box-of-100"]http://www.midwayusa...oint-box-of-100[/url]
[/quote]

I have some 86 grain FMJ's I need to push to the limit.

Dolomite
I been itchin' to try these half jackets,

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/222789/hornady-bullets-30-carbine-308-diameter-100-grain-short-jacket-box-of-100

THis is probably the best caliber i have ever worked with. I'm seriously considering another swing at an AR build. All NEW components this go 'round.
I would make sure to do a pistol length gas system. Then use a "cheap" adjustable gas block to meter your "favorite" load so it cycles.

I also believe this caliber is much more versatile than the 223. My gun will cycle with subs and supers. And with subs, when I get a can, it will be as quiet as my 22lr AR with a can.

Dolomite Edited by Dolomite_supafly
A bit off topic but i can't seem to get a clear understanding of this. If I were to start reloading, could I reload for .300BLK and 7.62x39 using the same bullets? If I could then I could have two platforms, 3 calibers sharing several components, and the ultimate in all round versatility.
[quote name='AK Guy' timestamp='1351995890' post='838630']
A bit off topic but i can't seem to get a clear understanding of this. If I were to start reloading, could I reload for .300BLK and 7.62x39 using the same bullets? If I could then I could have two platforms, 3 calibers sharing several components, and the ultimate in all round versatility.
[/quote]

Yes, I have shot a lot of .311" jacketed bullets down a .308" bore without issues as long as you work up accordingly. And a .308" bullet can be fired out of .311" bore without issue other than accuracy issues.

That is the reason why most AK's over here shoot like crap anyways. The commercial ammo generally uses .308" bullets. I have measured a lot of them and I have yet to find one that uses the correct .311" bullet.

Dolomite

[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1351996574' post='838638']
Yes, I have shot a lot of .311" jacketed bullets down a .308" bore without issues as long as you work up accordingly. And a .308" bullet can be fired out of .311" bore without issue other than accuracy issues.

That is the reason why most AK's over here shoot like crap anyways. The commercial ammo generally uses .308" bullets. I have measured a lot of them and I have yet to find one that uses the correct .311" bullet.

Dolomite
[/quote]

I thought that was what you had found. Now that I think about it, I could actually have 3 platforms that all use the same bullets. AR (.300), AK, and a .308 bolt gun and still have the 5.56 as backup. Interesting. :)

I agree with the versatility of the 300 BLK (or in my case, the 7.62 Wilson Tactical) over the 5.56. My goal is to have barrels and bolts in ALL except the most absurd rounds for maximum flexibility.

As far as 5.56 and 7.62x51 being more available when the fit hits the shan, let's take a ride in the Wayback Machine to November of 2008 and the couple years after. Which rounds could NOT be found nearly anywhere? I remember all too well.

Take it off my enemies, you may be saying? I hope to not get into too many firefights, but if I do, I really, REALLY hope it is not with any military units. And the local hooligans and meth-heads may or may not be carrying a common military round.

I decided years ago that it would be best to have what I need [i]before TSHTF[/i]. And I prefer rounds that offer more versatility and utility than the 5.56. That's why I'm a huge fan of the 6.5 Grendel. And I soon hope to have a barrel or two in 7.62x40 WT and, yes, even in .300 Blackout. As much as I love the Grendel and its longer range, I also like the cheaper .30 cal bullets and the ability to make cases from cheap 5.56.

Am I saying I won't have a rifle in 5.56? Of course not. As a matter of fact, that's what I keep beside my bed at night. Remember, maximum flexibility.

As a local radio personality says, "That's my opinion. Feel free to make it yours."

Will

Edit: He he... Just noticed who posted just before me. No offense meant to Hi Point Hooligan when I mentioned hooligans. Edited by Clod Stomper

[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1351994507' post='838613']
I been itchin' to try these half jackets,

[url="http://www.midwayusa.com/product/222789/hornady-bullets-30-carbine-308-diameter-100-grain-short-jacket-box-of-100"]http://www.midwayusa...cket-box-of-100[/url]

THis is probably the best caliber i have ever worked with. I'm seriously considering another swing at an AR build. All NEW components this go 'round.
[/quote]

You need to do another AR. I think you should do something like Dolomite, since you two are charter members of the weird ammo club :). I would be hunting a differen't gas block. I'm betting there are some different designs that are less prone to lead fouling.

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352043931' post='838853']
You need to do another AR. I think you should do something like Dolomite, since you two are charter members of the weird ammo club :). I would be hunting a differen't gas block. I'm betting there are some different designs that are less prone to lead fouling.
[/quote]

If I do build another AR it will eat nothing but lightweight, superfast stuff. Like 85-110g loads. An 85g Tokarev bullet over a greedy charge could get close to 3K. Also, 110g V-max or Ballistic tips are particularly nasty too.

[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1352049099' post='838907']
If I do build another AR it will eat nothing but lightweight, superfast stuff. Like 85-110g loads. An 85g Tokarev bullet over a greedy charge could get close to 3K. Also, 110g V-max or Ballistic tips are particularly nasty too.
[/quote]

I got lots of 110 Vmax's, in the box and loaded. The 125 Noslers are sexier.
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1352049314' post='838908']
I got lots of 110 Vmax's, in the box and loaded. The 125 Noslers are sexier.
[/quote]

If we're going for sex appeal, I'll stick to the 85g. We have more in common. Shorter and quicker.
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1352049099' post='838907']

[/quote]

What would you change about the second build to facilitate super fast stuff? I assume you would use a different twist barrel?? I would like to hear more as I'm currently gathering parts for my second blk.
Slow twist is paramount. I have not seen one damn thing to support this caliber's need for a fast twist. I am using a bolt rifle with a 1/10 twist and at 50 yards, I am shooting a sub 1/2" group with over a dozens loads ranging from a 110g FMJ up to a 247g cast bullet. No oblong or yaw can be seen, it's cuts a perfect circle in the paper.

I DO know that this accuracy has much to do with the very well made barrel I sourced from Dolomite. I also know that the more common faster twists will not do this well. Especially with shorter lighter bullets. I had a 1/8 barrel on my first build and despite cycling issues, the accuracy was abysmal. If I were to take on another build [which I am not convinced I will, but thinking about it....] I will go with a 1/10 heavy or bull profile 16" barrel with a carbine gas system. I will keep the sledgehammer heavies for my bolt rifle and feed the AR a steady diet of lights.
  • Admin Team
When I got my 9" AAC 1:8 upper, I planned on shooting heavy stuff exclusively. But, I've shot enough 110gr and 125gr stuff now that I'm getting pretty comfortable with the lighter stuff.

I've yet to have the chance to really stretch it's legs, but have been plenty impressed at shorter ranges.
I'm currently planning a 300 Blackout AR build and wanted to stick to a slower twist rate barrel (1/10). So my two questions
1. My intended use is for lighter weight rounds ie 90-150 grain. but how poorly will the heavy subsonic rounds perform in that twist.
2. does anyone know where i can find a AR barrel in that twist rate. Mainly all the ones i have been seeing are in the 1/7 to 1/8 rates.
[quote name='Hi Point Hooligan' timestamp='1351990280' post='838570']
Well I have this crazy idea that you should have a weapon that will chamber what ever your local military/guard uses.. Makes it easy if you should have to break into the local armory and liberate some ammo...
[/quote]

Heh, I have this crazy idea that the guys who are in the local military/guard (or cops) would probably want those supplies for their own use, would likely be guarding their stores (or would have already carried them off) and would almost certainly object to me breaking in and liberating some of their ammo stock. As those guys are probably better trained and equipped than me, I don't think I want to try that - and if someone has managed to eliminate those guys, I don't think I'd want to antagonize them, either.

In other words, I really don't think what the military/guard/cops use matters all that much. Further, sort of along the same lines as what DaveTN was saying, if I find myself 'liberating' ammo from someone who no longer needs it then chances are that the same individual will be considerate enough to provide a weapon that will fire the ammo they are carrying. One stop shopping, in other words - and no need for me to worry about having this or that caliber, beforehand.

I also have a similar attitude to what Dolomite is saying. I live rural. I have no intentions of 'going mobile' (except, as DaveTN said, in a natural disaster) - I think I'd rather die defending my home than live wandering around in the 'wilderness' (with a thousand other guys who had the same plan), sleeping in the mud, eating rats and so on. My plan, then, would be to avoid all those people who have all that .223 (or whatever other) ammo - not 'hunt' them. With that attitude, I can see the value of what Dolomite is saying - one could stock up on just about any .30 bullets whenever they found a good price.

In my case, though, I really don't see a need for such a thing. Also, I really don't have any 'black rifles' (the closest thing I have is an SKS) nor do I really have any desire for them. I have several firearms and various amounts of ammo for them. However, if things really got sparse, I truly think that I would be able to cover my centerfire firearms needs with my .38/.357 and .44 Mag guns - especially since I now have a .44 Mag lever action. I figure that - along with the ammo I have for my other firearms (including rimfire for smaller game) - as long as I make sure I keep plenty of ammo/reloading supplies for those two caliber families on hand then it really doesn't matter to me what guns/ammo anyone else is using. To me, true preparedness and self sufficiency would include having the ammo I need, not relying on other people to die and leave me their ammo. Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
For me the ease of casting 30 caliber bullets, over 223, is why I chose it. Another reason is you cannot push a cast .224" bullet fast enough to operate an AR without leading issues.

The casting thing goes along with my 9mm, 38/357, 44 and 45 caliber bullets I cast. If I run low on 30 caliber bullets I just melt down some other calibers. This cannot be done with 224 with intent of shooting out of an AR.

Right now the ONLY bullets I buy are for my 223. Every other caliber I shoot I cast for. So for me the only limiting factor is primers and I have enough to last me a while.

For me to shoot the 300 I do not need to buy bullets. This eliminates one more thing I need.

Dolomite
  • Like 1
I just got my 300 AAC 9" uppper and have been very impressed both suppressed and unsuppressed. I got the YHM Phantom 7.62 can that works on my 5.56 rifles and the Blackout. I have never been a reloader, but I'm considering getting into reloading so I can shoot this round more without breaking the bank. The Blackout is suddenly becoming my most expensive hobby.

I picked the Blackout mostly for the ability to send a large round out of a standard AR quietly. I have not done much bench rest shooting, but looking forward to checking the accuracy in the next couple of weeks.
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1352148577' post='839502']
For me the ease of casting 30 caliber bullets, over 223, is why I chose it. Another reason is you cannot push a cast .224" bullet fast enough to operate an AR without leading issues.

The casting thing goes along with my 9mm, 38/357, 44 and 45 caliber bullets I cast. If I run low on 30 caliber bullets I just melt down some other calibers. This cannot be done with 224 with intent of shooting out of an AR.

Right now the ONLY bullets I buy are for my 223. Every other caliber I shoot I cast for. So for me the only limiting factor is primers and I have enough to last me a while.

For me to shoot the 300 I do not need to buy bullets. This eliminates one more thing I need.

Dolomite
[/quote]

That makes perfect sense, as well. Even if you didn't cast, though, I imagine the ability to stock up on 'whatever .30 caliber bullets are on sale while they are on sale' would be an advantage.

In my case, I don't cast (not yet, anyway) although the .38/.357 and .44 families would likely be good candidates for it. I figure I can buy a whole lot of reloading supplies for those, couple of calibers for what getting into something like a 300 Blackout would cost. Still, I certainly see where you are coming from. Edited by JAB
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1352148577' post='839502']

Dolomite
[/quote]

This just about sums up the doctrine of my religion. Amen, brother!