Reports of voter fraud or intimidation

Figured I would put a plce up to keep track of all the reports of voter fraud or intimidation at the polling places.

I went and voted this morning. I was there as it opened and within the first 10 voters there was a person arguing that he had not voted early. Looks like someone had voted early using his name. And as I was leaving it looked as though a second was having the same issue.

I live in an area that votes almost all Republican, 71% in 2008. I cannot see it being any less this time around but if it is I know why.

Dolomite
I guess that raises a question is for those 2 you spoke of. Do you think someone used their information to vote on their behalf early or do you think it was someone trying to squeeze through and vote a second time?
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1352214453' post='839989']
I guess that raises a question is for those 2 you spoke of. Do you think someone used their information to vote on their behalf early or do you think it was someone trying to squeeze through and vote a second time?
[/quote]I would be more inclined to believe this. Unless you know someone who runs the polls you have to present valid photo Id and they check your name off the list at the precinct you vote in. I'm not saying it's impossible to happen the other way there's just to many ifs involved.
Guest Mad4rcn
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]My youngest son was told he could not cast his vote without his voters registration card. He had to come home and retrieve it and return to the polling place. [/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]I went to the same polling place and was told that I needed a card also,I told them I did not need it,all I needed was a valid approved ID. Looked me up in the register and voted.[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]My district was divided into two disticts because they said it was too large to vote in one place,guess where both districts are voting.[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]You guessed it,in the same room.[/font]
Cuomo, thorugh executive order, just allowed New Yorkers to vote with just an affidavit. No ID or anything else proving they are who they are is required.

They said they need to follow up to verify who they are later or their vote will not count. But if votes are annonymous how is this possible? I guess the person with the affidavit could vote for Obama then when questioned later he can say he voted for Romney. Two votes from a single person.

Dolomite
  • Like 1
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1352224021' post='840103']
Cuomo, thorugh executive order, just allowed New Yorkers to vote with just an affidavit. No ID or anything else proving they are who they are is required.

They said they need to follow up to verify who they are later or their vote will not count. But if votes are annonymous how is this possible? I guess the person with the affidavit could vote for Obama then when questioned later he can say he voted for Romney. Two votes from a single person.

Dolomite
[/quote]

From what I'm reading here (the actual Executive Order) I don't see anything about identification, just that he's allowing any registered voter to vote in any polling place, since the one they're supposed to use may or may not currently be functional. Or is there another one I'm unaware of?

http://www.governor.ny.gov/executiveorder/62
[quote name='BryanP' timestamp='1352227825' post='840147']
From what I'm reading here (the actual Executive Order) I don't see anything about identification, just that he's allowing any registered voter to vote in any polling place, since the one they're supposed to use may or may not currently be functional. Or is there another one I'm unaware of?
[/quote]

Dunno, but NY doesn't require any kind of ID to vote, photo or otherwise. Does that mean they have to have voter registration card? Well, that would be an ID.

How the frig does that work in those states, people just show up and claim to be themselves verbally only?

According to Wiki summary, about 20 states require no ID whatsoever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_Laws_in_the_United_States

- OS
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352228605' post='840154']

Dunno, but NY doesn't require any kind of ID to vote, photo or otherwise. Does that mean they have to have voter registration card? Well, that would be an ID.

How the frig does that work in those states, people just show up and claim to be themselves verbally only?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_Laws_in_the_United_States

- OS[/quote]

That's just crazy.

Speaking of id, voting is one of the few times that I like to use my HCP for id.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk2 Edited by Batman

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_Laws_in_the_United_States"]http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States[/url]

- OS
[/quote]

It wasn't all that long ago (last year) that we were one of those states. Do you think we were a hotbed of voter fraud right up until this election?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with requiring identification, but I don't think it's going to be a huge problem. Besides it's New York. We already know who will take NY, just like we all know who will take TN. Edited by BryanP
[quote name='BryanP' timestamp='1352229111' post='840162']
It wasn't all that long ago (last year) that we were one of those states. Do you think we were a hotbed of voter fraud right up until this election?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with requiring identification, but I don't think it's going to be a huge problem. Besides it's New York. We already know who will take NY, just like we all know who will take TN.
[/quote]

I've been voting since the 60's, seems I've always had to show something? At least voter registration card?

I don't recall ever showing up and simply being able to announce my name? Isn't our newest law only about official [i]picture[/i] ID?

- OS
I talked to a friend in Michigan that said his polling place was currently shut down because there we people vandalizing and intimidating people that had Romney stickers on their cars. I did contact a family member in that same district and they said there was a warning put out about an hour after the polls opened, saying to take any political stickers off your car for safety reasons. Maybe the Obama supporters are scared that Romney might have a chance in what is normally a Blue State. Michigan has been Blue for 20 years so it would take a pretty major shift to change that.
[quote name='Lions Fan' timestamp='1352229516' post='840169']
.... Michigan has been Blue for 20 years so it would take a pretty major shift to change that.
[/quote]

Well, he'll likely do better than most there due to his dad and being a Michigan boy and all, but yeah,Michigan ain't supposed to be even remotely in play for him. Especially after the latest "Jeep to China" debacle.

- OS
Dunno, but NY doesn't require any kind of ID to vote, photo or otherwise. [b]Does that mean they have to have voter registration card? Well, that would be an ID.[/b]

[/quote]

[quote name='BryanP' timestamp='1352229111' post='840162']
It wasn't all that long ago (last year) that we were one of those states
[/quote]

[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352229383' post='840166']
I've been voting since the 60's, [b]seems I've always had to show something? At least voter registration card?[/b]

I don't recall ever showing up and simply being able to announce my name? Isn't our newest law only about official picture ID?

- OS
[/quote]

Exactly. Prior to 2012 you only had to show a voter registration card in Tennessee. Making people show a government issued photo ID card is relatively recent.
[quote name='BryanP' timestamp='1352230019' post='840178']
Exactly. Prior to 2012 you only had to show a voter registration card in Tennessee. Making people show a government issued photo ID card is relatively recent.
[/quote]

I'm still looking around to verify, but seems that really most any ID with address on it would suffice. At least since I was a young man.

And actually, maybe it didn't even have to have address on it. Like library card, which became an issue just recently as part of the appeal on the new law.

- OS Edited by OhShoot

[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1352230447' post='840184']
I'm still looking around to verify, but seems that really most any ID with address on it would suffice, but we have always had to show something that verified address. At least since I was a young man.

- OS
[/quote]

Yes, and for most of us that would have been a photo ID - a driver's license generally. But technically you could show non-photo ID that had your name and address. It's only this year that we are required by law to show a .gov issued photo ID.

Don't worry, I'm sure voter ID laws will be used to backdoor a de facto national ID card system. ;)

Guest rebeldrummer
here is some "fun" reading....

http://michaelsnyder.mensnewsdaily.com/2012/11/thousands-of-shocking-threats-of-violence-by-obama-supporters-on-the-eve-of-the-election/

http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-supporters-on-twitter-issue-threats-to-kill-mitt-romney-on-eve-of-election

plus i also read that at one pole there was a HUGE O mural right behind the voter booths!!! thats just nuts....
[quote name='TLRMADE' timestamp='1352231205' post='840197']

Is it illegal to take a pic of your ballot?
[/quote]

Depends on where you live. Looks like you're okay in TN.

http://www.citmedialaw.org/state-law-documenting-vote-2012

It would appear that the possibility of doing so actually invalidating your vote is only if you live in Michigan or Hawaii.

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/06/it_may_be_illegal_to_instagram_your_ballot/
Guest Oaklands
One thing for sure. All the intimidation and pushing of the rules comes from the Democrat side. I hope all of you vote and I hope the rest of the country gets a little common sense in them before they pull the lever.
  • Moderators
Just got back to work from voting the first time around. Something that I was surprised was how the electronic machines work. I think I understand that different precincts use different machines, but in mine the "administrator" swiped a card on the machine to "activate it, and then you just vote. I assumed you would have to enter some unique ID that could only be used once into the machine, and then vote. In the current setup (assuming that their was a band of corrupt administration at the location), could they not allow the same person to go through line multiple times and continue to swipe the card authorizing them to vote?

Then again I suppose they take your manila card and theoretically make sure the total number of votes equals the total number of cards? Of course it is a flawed system, but it just makes me grind my teeth thinking about how flawed it actually is.
[quote name='Oaklands' timestamp='1352231504' post='840208']
One thing for sure. All the intimidation and pushing of the rules comes from the Democrat side. I hope all of you vote and I hope the rest of the country gets a little common sense in them before they pull the lever.
[/quote]
Them librawls is so EVIL!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/06/oregon-election-worker-fired-for-altering-ballots-to-republican-straight-ticket/#.UJkw3tO6X4k.reddit