got laid off

Guest nysos

Went in this morning and my company is "restructuring", so I got laid off due to what will be a lack of work. (their words)

So if anyone knows of any IT opportunities in the knoxville area, please forward them my way. Help desk, jr level server admin, system engineer, system/support analyst, etc. Edited by nysos
[quote name='Peace' timestamp='1352384531' post='841742']
Sorry. Hoping you can keep your chin up & head down. - hope you find the right next thing sooner than you can imagine.
[/quote]

Yep, I had been looking for a better position over the past few months due to my pay wasn't the best at my current position - but with bills to pay what can you do? I approached my direct manager and he had been working with me on things, but the end result for upper management is it painted a target on my back it seems like.
Hmm, you probably know there are IT specific job search sites, such as, [url="http://www.dice.com"]http://www.dice.com[/url] [url="http://justtechjobs.com"]http://justtechjobs.com[/url] and try indeed.com

Best of luck, been there.

[quote name='uofmeet' timestamp='1352392182' post='841817']
"Don't worry, Obama has your back. He is after all our savior."

[/quote]

I'll be holding my breathe. ;)

Sorry to hear that ....... been there, bought the T-Shirt, Sweat-Shirt, Pants, Hat and socks

2009 back home in Michigan. The wife was laid off first and then I got hit 3 months later ........ domino effect during the great automotive crash. We didn't even work in automotive - but just about everyone and every business was affected and suffered in some way. It really hit our state hard and many friends and family lost everything. Many people like us moved to another state just to find work. We lost our jobs, our house, our savings, life-long friends and neighbors. We lived off credit cards for a while because it took me 8 months to even find work - which thankfully was down here in East TN. It was a tough decision to leave home but at the time it was the only option we had that would keep us out of bankruptcy. It took us 1 year to sell our house back home - which was at a huge loss, but at least we sold it. We now rent because after 40 years of excellent credit, multiple home and car loans and never missing a payment - we were forced into a short-sale due to the lack of work. We were thrown into the storm of uncertainty, depression and bad credit because for the first time in our lives we were stuck. The bank had just started a foreclosure when we were offered a short sale on our home - so we decided to cut the losses and take the short sale. We've worked here in E TN now for about 3 years, have paid off all credit debt and never gave up. The state offered us all kinds of freebies if we would just give up - but we didn't feel that was an option. It's a shame that the government makes it so easy to just take handouts if you are willing to give up. It was tough to go through, but we made it by being a tight-knit family with a strong work ethic, morals and values. We knew we needed to make a sacrifice and that would require going to where the work was - so that's what we did.

We still cannot get another mortgage due to the start of a foreclosure, but now I feel like it may be a blessing at this point. With the way things are going we might be right back into the storm at any point. We take life one day at a time now ........ wondering, waiting, guessing what the future may hold for us - but being somewhat optimistic at the same time. We pay for everything with cash except for 1 car payment. It really sucks to live this way, but after the sour taste of such loss, we are really gun-shy about getting a loan on anything of major expense. We pay more for rent that I would prefer but it gives us the option to up and leave/move at any point if the need should arise. If Romney would have won I think we would have considered purchasing another home here in Tennessee a little more confidently - but now we won't unless we can pay for it in cash - which will take a while. Our priorities have definitely changed along with what is and what is not truly important. It was a harsh wake-up call but I think it prepared us well in advance for what is yet to surely come.

So, to make a long story short - My family and I personally feel your pain and wish you, your family and all the others going through the same thing now, and in the near future, the very best. It's a tough road - but you can make it. Just keep your head held high, keep your family strong and do whatever it takes to move on. I'm afraid it's just going to get a lot worse from here. Edited by FIRERESCUEO2
Thanks for the kind words.

To my regret I actually filed for unemployment today. My previous job didn't pay well enough for me to have any sort of real savings, and I will need every bit of help I can get until I start working again. Luckily my family is very supportive and is going to be there for me if I need, and I will be trying to do as many little odd jobs on the side to suppliment myself until I can get another full time position.

I do have 2 decent job leads that hopefully will work out, one of them might involve an overseas project for a period of time - but I am going to look at it as a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am not married, no roommates currently, no kids - just a dog and 2 cats. If I end up going oversees my dad has already stated he would take care of my dog for me and we would just move the valuables out of my house and put it on lockdown.

It is definitely going to be an interesting next couple of weeks...
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1352478667' post='842495']
Thanks for the kind words.

To my regret I actually filed for unemployment today. My previous job didn't pay well enough for me to have any sort of real savings, and I will need every bit of help I can get until I start working again. Luckily my family is very supportive and is going to be there for me if I need, and I will be trying to do as many little odd jobs on the side to suppliment myself until I can get another full time position.

I do have 2 decent job leads that hopefully will work out, one of them might involve an overseas project for a period of time - but I am going to look at it as a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am not married, no roommates currently, no kids - just a dog and 2 cats. If I end up going oversees my dad has already stated he would take care of my dog for me and we would just move the valuables out of my house and put it on lockdown.

It is definitely going to be an interesting next couple of weeks...
[/quote]

Pack up and move to middle TN. Way more tech/IT jobs over here than east TN; Knoxville was my hometown. East TN seems to be more gov't/defense and energy related IT where as middle TN is more education and healthcare related IT. There are tons of listings every week that get delivered to my inbox from career builder, indeed, etc. As long as you know your stuff and could move you should be very able to get a IT job down this way.
  • Admin Team
There does seem to be a lot of work in the Middle Tennessee area for good tech people. I have recruiters calling me weekly. There are a couple of LinkedIn groups that I'm a part of that seem to have daily postings.

Shoot me a note if you're interested, and I'll happily provide any info I have.
I lived in murfreesboro for college when I went to MTSU and definitely like the middle TN area, but all my family is in knoxville so I would prefer not to relocate if possible. I will definitely keep it in mind if my job hunt doesn't yield much success in the coming months.
I hit the list of unemployed in October of 2010 and was unemployed until April 2011. I went from having most of my credit card debt paid off and thousands in the bank to having nothing in the bank and $10,000.00 in credit card debt. I got hired by my employer in February and started work in April. My wife and I also have a 1 year old daughter. We were on the verge of bankruptcy when I got my first paycheck.

We had to move 400 miles away from home, but we are doing well now. Keep your head up and do not pass up good opportunities. Even if they mean moving far away from home. Heck, travel the world. You're single with no kids, so why not? Plus, that would be some good work experience for the ole resume. Edited by Seabeejason
Guest seawolf138
Sorry for your troubles Nysos. I'm hesitant to even mention this as I don't want to offend you, but my boss is looking for a couple more delivery drivers (pizza), it's obviously not the best job out there, and certainly not something you're going to want to do permanently, but if it comes down to you needing to stop the leak for a little while it's there as an option. And please, please, do not be offended, I am only mentioning this because I have seen many people come through in your exact situation...after all, "they" say it's easier to find a job while you have a job, not necessarily been my experience, but hey, "they" can't be wrong all the time can they?