Ex Felon Arrested After Shooting Intruders

Hadn't seen this posted yet. Pretty interesting Topic & add to the fact that it happened in KomiFornia.

[quote=FoxNews]
Authorities arrested a California homeowner after he shot two people who allegedly broke into his home Wednesday morning.

Jerry Rasmussen, 60, woke up sometime after 2 a.m. to find two intruders in his Fair Oaks home, according to [url="http://fox40.com/local-news/stories/fair-oaks-homeowner-shoots-intruders/"]FOX40[/url][img]http://global.fncstatic.com/static/v/all/img/external-link.png[/img]. One of the intruders died, and the second suspect fled to a nearby hospital.

Sacramento County Sheriff's spokesman Jason Ramos said deputies arrived at the home around 2:30 a.m. and found the first suspect dead from a gunshot wound. Police later learned the second suspected intruder had gone to a local hospital seeking treatment for his wound, [url="http://fairoakscarmichael.news10.net/news/crime/107011-update-man-arrested-after-shooting-intruders-fair-oaks"]according to a report by News10[/url][img]http://global.fncstatic.com/static/v/all/img/external-link.png[/img].

Deputies said they arrested Rasmussen because he is an ex-felon in possession of a firearm, FOX40 reports. He was taken to Sacramento County Jail and is expected to appear in court Friday.

Police are further investigating the incident, but believe burglary was the motive.
[left]
[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Read more: [url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/07/california-homeowner-arrested-after-shooting-alleged-intruders/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz2Bffv5sNe"]http://www.foxnews.c...e#ixzz2Bffv5sNe[/url][/background][/left]

[/quote] Edited by xRUSTYx
Just one of many examples of why I think a felony conviction should not preclude legal firearm ownership forever.

If someone is a danger to society he should still be IN JAIL. If he is no longer a danger to society and has served his sentence then I think his rights, including 2A rights should be restored.

Someone who once committed a felony should not, in my opinion, forever lose the right to defend his life with the best tools we have available (which right now is a firearm...maybe someday it will be ray-gun). Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2
[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1352413016' post='842063']
Just one of many examples of why I think a felony conviction should not preclude legal firearm ownership forever.

If someone is a danger to society he should still be IN JAIL. If he is no longer a danger to society and has served his sentence then I think his rights, including 2A rights should be restored.

Someone who once committed a felony should not, in my opinion, forever lose the right to defend his life with the best tools we have available (which right now is a firearm...maybe someday it will be ray-gun).
[/quote]I fully agree with you!
Once you have completed your sentence you should no longer have it affect your rights. The only exception to this is if the felony was violent in nature. There are so many laws now that are felonies that should not be. I say reserve the harshest of penalties for those who have a record of being violent, not those who were caught smoking a bit of pot.

Dolomite
  • Moderators
[quote]
[color=#282828]Once you have completed your sentence you should no longer have it affect your rights. The only exception to this is if the felony was violent in nature. There are so many laws now that are felonies that should not be. I say reserve the harshest of penalties for those who have a record of being violent, not those who were caught smoking a bit of pot.

Dolomite[/color]

[/quote]

Yes. For example ,when I was in high school a few idiots went around bashing mailboxes. Now, I remember once when my father and I had to fix our mailbox because someone had backed their vehicle into our mailbox (didn't know if it was purposeful or an accident). Mailbox bashing isn't a laughable thing. But just because someone did something in high school does not mean they do not have the right years done the road to protect their family as well as themselves just because they did something stupid.

But....it sounds so great when a politician says "I'm keeping guns out of the hands of criminals!" doesn't it?

Since I've never had reason to I've never researched how easy it is to get your rights "restored" or whatever it is called. In an example such as is being discussed, is it easy for everyday citizens without a lot of money to get their rights restored if it can be shown that they are living lives as a law abiding citizen?[list]

[/list] Edited by CZ9MM
It isn't too difficult to get your rights restored, but that does not include firearm rights. Getting your gun rights back after a felony is well-nigh impossible in Tennessee. Restoration of rights generally means voting and serving on a jury.

Diversion is always an option for first-time offenders. All non-violent or non-sex related felonies are eligible for it in Tennessee, though the judge could deny your request. That happened recently in Memphis. A young guy, maybe 20, was speeding through a neighborhood and struck and killed a man as he was going to check his mail. He was charged with and pled guilty to one of the lower homicides, reckless or maybe negligent, can't remember, then the judge denied his petition for diversion. So this 20-year old guy, who committed what was really a horrible accident more than anything, is a felon for life. Forget gun rights, just try and get a job! Edited by Stegall Law Firm
[quote name='deerslayer' timestamp='1352427921' post='842201']
I have no sympathy for the guy. He committed a crime and became a convicted felon. Then he committed another crime and is now going back to jail. Looks like he didn't learn the first time.
[/quote]

I have a hard time agreeing with this statement. It as if you are stating that we should accept and abide by whatever laws the government puts on us without questioning anything. That could get to be a dangerous proposition.

[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1352497241' post='842682']
"No, officer, I don't own any guns. The intruder came at me, I wrestled the gun from said intruder, and only used it to protect my life." ;)
[/quote]Nice idea but I don't believe "ownership" of a firearm a prerequisite to being in "possession" of one nor being charged with being in possession of one. ;)

[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1352499493' post='842721']
Nice idea but I don't believe "ownership" of a firearm a prerequisite to being in "possession" of one nor being charged with being in possession of one. ;)
[/quote]

I doubt there's a jury out there that would be willing to convict in such a situation. I'm not a gamblin' man, but that's a chance I'd take all day.

So someone makes a mistake when they are younger, either gets in the wrong crowd or the ever present " mommy and daddy don't pay him/her enough attention, he/she feels the need to act up". Serves their time and sentence and is corrected as a outstanding citizen. Should he/she be kept from owning a firearm to keep his/her family safe? I think not. Once a person is not deemed a threat to society and released, then all their rights should be restored.

I have a relative that was sent to prison for a violent crime( rape) do i think he should be given his gun rights back? Absolutely not. He committed a violent crime and who knows, he might "snap" at something.

It really should be looked at as a case by case basis. Just don't group these former felons into one group.
[quote name='10-Ring' timestamp='1352494325' post='842638']
I have a hard time agreeing with this statement. It as if you are stating that we should accept and abide by whatever laws the government puts on us without questioning anything. That could get to be a dangerous proposition.
[/quote]

Despite all the hypothetical sob stories about young kids making small mistakes and being railroaded by the justice system and unjustly ruined for life, it is more difficult than many would have you believe to be convicted of a felony crime. I know of many criminals who were charged with serious felonies and plea bargained down to a misdemeanor or got diversion with a clean record after X years of clean living, often because it was their first offense. One must use such incredibly bad judgment or have such bad intent that I have no problem with them being disarmed for the rest of their lives, which is, for all practical purposes, part of their sentence. I also don't care if they are non-violent. Bernie Madoff wasn't violent, but affected more people than any violent thug could.

I am not stating that we should accept and abide by any laws government puts on us without questioning anything; I'm saying that criminals shouldn't have guns.
I think if someone is convicted of a felony and are going to permanently lose all of their rights and drastically decrease their ability to get a good job by 100%+ for the rest of their lives we should just have a spare room in the back of the court house where you put a slug through their head the instance they are convicted. While I dont think all felons should just be running around with guns I do think you should be able to regain your rights after say 7-10 years of sentencing after a review from the courts(Non Violent felons). Hell there is no telling how many people on this forum that have committed some type of crime throughout there life that had they been caught would have ended up with a felony conviction or loss of gun rights at a minimum,only difference between them and the criminal is the criminal got caught imo.
  • Like 1
A lot of members here keep calling him a criminal! No one here knows "what he did", or "when he did it"! Also, he's not on parole, nor on probation! His time has been paid!
[quote name='CCI' timestamp='1352519954' post='842909']
A lot of members here keep calling him a criminal! [/quote]

[font=georgia, serif][b]crim·i·nal[/b]

[i]n.[/i]
One that has committed or been legally convicted of a crime[/font].

He is a criminal. Also, he won't be an [i]ex-felon[/i] until he's dead. Edited by deerslayer
[quote name='~48_South~' timestamp='1352519033' post='842902']I think if someone is convicted of a felony and are going to permanently lose all of their rights and drastically decrease their ability to get a good job by 100%+ for the rest of their lives we should just have a spare room in the back of the court house where you put a slug through their head the instance they are convicted. While I dont think all felons should just be running around with guns I do think you should be able to regain your rights after say 7-10 years of sentencing after a review from the courts(Non Violent felons). Hell there is no telling how many people on this forum that have committed some type of crime throughout there life that had they been caught would have ended up with a felony conviction or loss of gun rights at a minimum,only difference between them and the criminal is the criminal got caught imo.[/quote]

Yep. If I had got caught during my 18th year I'd be felon for sure. I'm a lot different now from those days. This guy was defending his own. Not using the best tool available would be stupid.

• Like 1