So let me get this right......

Guest Gen. Patton

Guest Gen. Patton
I'm in a restaraunt with my daughter minding my own business and I am pestered by someone who has a problem with me exercising my 2nd Amendment right to carry open or concealed and I'm an a-hole for feeling slightly angered and harrased? Wow!
Everyone on here, I hope, knows the difference between someone who has a ligitimate question and is genuinely looking for an answer to it and someone who's being sarcastic, nasty, and confrontational, right? Had the spirit of the conversation been one of posing a general question I would have had no problem answering it. And had I been pacing in a circle talking angrily to myself or twirling my gun on my finger like Billy the Kid in the middle of the public then I would deserve to be bothered or harrassed because my behavior would give a reasonable person a cause to be concerned for their safety. But since nothing approaching that kind of behavior was exhibited, as a matter of fact quite the opposite was being exhibited at the time, I don't see how I owe anyone an explination as to why I have a gun on my hip, especially when that person's facial expressions, tone of voice, and mannerisms, indicate that they are attempting to disturb or harrass and not pose a serious question.

He didn't have a right to disrupt me and my daughters quiet enjoyment of our meal simply because he dosen't like guns and I think I was more than patient with him given the situation and what he was trying to do. And seeing that this "Yankee Boy" was a visitor to our state I think it would behoove him to read up on our laws and customs so that he could govern himself accordingly instead of going around pestering people because the state of Tennessee dosen't work like his neighborhood at home. He has no right to make me feel unconfortable because he dosen't like seeing my gun on my hip and if he does I certainly have a right to make him feel just as uncomfortable.

And I don't take my gun in church with me; it stays in the trunk of my car while I'm inside and I re-arm as I'm leaving and headed home so please don't assume that since it's Sunday and I have a suit on and I'm armed that I'm in church catching the holy ghost with my gun on my side. Edited by Gen. Patton
  • Moderators

[quote]And I don't take my gun in church with me; it stays in the trunk of my car while I'm inside and I re-arm as I'm leaving and headed home so please don't assume that since it's Sunday and I have a suit on and I'm armed that I'm in church catching the holy ghost with my gun on my side.[/quote]

Then I would like to make the motion that you start going to church back home you Yankee :stick:

Would you go to church without your wallet?
Would you go to church without your car keys?
Would you go to church without your cell phone?
Would you go to church without your shoes?
Would you go to church without your pocket knife?

For me, a firearm concealed is just another tool or piece of gear.

I look at it like this. For someone that always wears your seat belt, would you drive to church on Sunday morning without it on?

Don't take this the wrong way. You have every right to do as you wish, I'm just letting you know that you don't have to explain things to us to we won't assume you are doing a bad thing.

• Like 1
Why don't you wear your gun to church? Bad things can happen in church just like they happen at Wal-Mart. What's to say the LORD didn't put you in that place and time to stop someone? That is how I have always looked at the wearing a gun to church issue.

As to the person making a scene, I would have simply told him that I was breaking no law and he needs to mind his own business.
Guest Gen. Patton

[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1352471536' post='842412']
Then I would like to make the motion that you start going to church back home you Yankee :stick:

Would you go to church without your wallet?
Would you go to church without your car keys?
Would you go to church without your cell phone?
Would you go to church without your shoes?
Would you go to church without your pocket knife?

For me, a firearm concealed is just another tool or piece of gear.

I look at it like this. For someone that always wears your seat belt, would you drive to church on Sunday morning without it on?

Don't take this the wrong way. You have every right to do as you wish, I'm just letting you know that you don't have to explain things to us to we won't assume you are doing a bad thing.
[/quote]

I used to carry in a IWB tuckable holster but I figured that in the event that I need the weapon it probably woun't be in the middle of church and if it's in a tuckable holster with my shirt tucked in it would take more time to reveal and draw so I just stopped and started leaving it in my car.

Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='Spiffy' timestamp='1352471898' post='842421']
Why don't you wear your gun to church? Bad things can happen in church just like they happen at Wal-Mart. What's to say the LORD didn't put you in that place and time to stop someone? That is how I have always looked at the wearing a gun to church issue.

[/quote]

I can't argue with that.
[quote name='Gen. Patton' timestamp='1352472218' post='842425']
I used to carry in a IWB tuckable holster but I figured that in the event that I need the weapon it probably woun't be in the middle of church and if it's in a tuckable holster with my shirt tucked in it would take more time to reveal and draw so I just stopped and started leaving it in my car.
[/quote]

Well, here's what I would do.

Lets try a little test.

Wear your gun IWB tuckable holster and time your draw.

Then...

Put your gun in your car trunk and time your retrieval.

Whichever one is the fastest is what I'd go with. Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 6
  • Moderators
[quote]I used to carry in a IWB tuckable holster but I figured that in the event that I need the weapon it probably woun't be in the middle of church and if it's in a tuckable holster with my shirt tucked in it would take more time to reveal and draw so I just stopped and started leaving it in my car.[/quote]

To be honest, you could live your life like the majority of Americans do: Unarmed
Statistics say that you would be ok, generally.

And I don't know what type of church you go to, but [b]something[/b] is better than [b]nothing[/b]. I would even go as far to say that California style carry (empty firearm, loaded magazine in pocket or on weak side) is better than nothing.
Guest Oaklands
[quote name='BrasilNuts' timestamp='1352472477' post='842431']

Lets try a little test.

Then...

Whichever one is the fastest is what I'd go with.
[/quote]

+1
  • Moderators
[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lets try a little test.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wear your gun IWB tuckable holster and time your draw.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Then...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Put your gun in your car trunk and time your retrieval.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Whichever one is the fastest is what I'd go with.[/font][/color][/quote]

Winner!
Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='BrasilNuts' timestamp='1352472477' post='842431']

Lets try a little test.

Then...

Whichever one is the fastest is what I'd go with.
[/quote]

If you all are gonna continue to argue down my position with common sense and logic then I'm just not gonna talk anymore!
Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='BrasilNuts' timestamp='1352472674' post='842432']
Roughly how old was the man that confronted you?
[/quote]

I would say older than 40 younger than 60.
Should have asked the twit if he makes a habit out of poking snakes with short sticks.

I've only ever been confronted a time or two in the manner you describe. I just tell them that for the life of me, I don't remember asking them a damn thing. I told one lady at a Redbox if she didn't like it, call the cops. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to chew your butt out for wasting their time calling in a "non-crime"

Pissants. They ain't worth the elevated blood pressure you get from attempting to deal with them. "F" off is easiest and usually the most expedient.
I used to wear tucked in shirts to church, but when I started to carry I saw that my wardrobe was going to have to change. Now I carry OWB with a nice shirt untucked over it. (think Charlie Sheen in 2 1/2 Men)

It is very comfortable, makes for a pretty quick draw and as far as I know I have never been made.

I wanted to see just what I could get away with dressing like this so I went to a get together at a friend house a while back, most everyone there was a gun guy, wearing all the gear I had concealed.

Towards the end of the night I got my friends attention and lifted my shirt.

I had my Glock 17 with 3 extra OWB mags and 3 30 round AR mags OWB.

They couldn't believe I had been there all night and no one had noticed I had all that.

As far as the Yankee goes I think if I ever have any one come at me like that and few polite words doesn't make him back off I will threaten to call the police and if the threat doesn't work I'll call.
Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1352473832' post='842448']
Should have asked the twit if he makes a habit out of poking snakes with short sticks.

I've only ever been confronted a time or two in the manner you describe. I just tell them that for the life of me, I don't remember asking them a damn thing. I told one lady at a Redbox if she didn't like it, call the cops. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to chew your butt out for wasting their time calling in a "non-crime"

Pissants. They ain't worth the elevated blood pressure you get from attempting to deal with them. "F" off is easiest and usually the most expedient.
[/quote]

I was tempted to get hardcore on the guy but my daughter was there and since I was probably the only one of us with a gun I think I had a bit higher responsibility to stop, if possible, the situation from going too far. Sometimes a little verbal jujitsu is all that's need to get the point across. But if it didn't work and I felt like I needed to get my daughter to safety then his ass most definately would have gotten his sinuses cleared with a nice long splooge of pepperspray to the facial region:

"There you go a-hole! Aren't you proud of me? I didn't even have to use my gun! You should get some tissue and a losenge because that noise you're making sounds nasty. Oh see you're dripping all over the floor now! Somebody's gonna have to clean that up." Edited by Gen. Patton

[quote name='Gen. Patton' timestamp='1352472218' post='842425']
[/quote]

I disagree, having it even in a crappy tucked in holster is better than not having it at all... while certain situations would pose a problem you never know how things might go down and it gives you choices in those situations.

Second, get a better holster, who cares if some sheeple notices the weapon because your jack blows open, or it becomes uncovered (or heaven forbid you carry it openly)... It's there in case you need it, it's like somebody getting mad at you because you have a pocket knife to open boxes on your person :)

Guest Gen. Patton
I REALLY hate having to disarm at all anywhere. Not only is the safety thing an issue but every now and then I forget to go to my trunk and re-arm myself and just hop in my car and ride out unarmed! Not cool at all! I hate when that happens!
Guest Gen. Patton
But if by some chance someone did have a firearm in church and it accidently discharged what then? That would be really messed up and I bet a person would probably have to change churches afterward! LOL! People would be scared to sit next to the guy. His whole pew, the pew in front of him, and the pew behind him; all empty! People are standing in the aisles and against the wall rather than sit by him. Am I wrong for thinking that would be funny as hell?