So let me get this right......

Guest Gen. Patton

<p>[quote name='Gen. Patton' timestamp='1352477500' post='842483']
But if by some chance someone did have a firearm in church and it accidently discharged what then? That would be really messed up and I bet a person would probably have to change churches afterward! LOL! People would be scared to sit next to the guy. His whole pew, the pew in front of him, and the pew behind him; all empty! People are standing in the aisles and against the wall rather than sit by him. Am I wrong for thinking that would be funny as hell?
[/quote] A negligent discharge can be prevented by more training. If you have a quality handgun in a quality holster that covers the trigger the gun will not fire unless something pulls the trigger.

Also I carry a glock 23 every Sunday in church with a tuckable holster. My draw is MAYBE a second slower than with an untucked shirt draped over. Again it's all about what you train for. The only thing you have to watch out for is the huggers. I dodge them when I see them coming haha. Edited by maroonandwhite
  • Moderators
[quote]But if by some chance someone did have a firearm in church and it accidently discharged what then? That would be really messed up and I bet a person would probably have to change churches afterward! LOL! People would be scared to sit next to the guy. His whole pew, the pew in front of him, and the pew behind him; all empty! People are standing in the aisles and against the wall rather than sit by him. Am I wrong for thinking that would be funny as hell?[/quote]

Negligent discharges are never funny. Outside of pure mechanical failure (which is practically nonexistent I would imagine), all negligent discharges can be prevented.
Guest cardcutter
My father used to tell me that the 2nd hardest thing a man ever learns to say is " That is none of your business.". You would be surprised at how hard it is for some folks to say. This sounds like a perfect time to tell the yankee. " I cant possibly see how this is any of your business!".

BTW the hardest thing most men will ever learn to say is " That is none of MY business." Edited by cardcutter
  • Moderators
[quote]Also I carry a glock 23 every Sunday in church with a tuckable holster. My draw is MAYBE a second slower than with an untucked shirt draped over. Again it's all about what you train for. The only thing you have to watch out for is the huggers. I dodge them when I see them coming haha.[/quote]

My family and my wife's family are all huggers. I got in the habit a long time ago of "hugging low". This forces in most cases the other person to "hug high".
Guest Oaklands
I don't know what the guy actually said to you as it isn't listed in the op, so it would be hard for me tell you what I would have said. If he sat down after I did, I would tell him he could move somewhere else. It is my right to carry and I have a permit to do so. Let's end this discussion now so I can enjoy my meal with my child.

If he smarted off again, I would let him know that if someone were to come in causing trouble, I would be sure to point out to the perp that this guy here has a real problem with anyone carrying a gun and would like to talk to you about it. Also, if someone starts to shoot your way, I will make sure I don't do anything to protect you.

Any more comments then I would have to tell my son to cover his ears.
[quote name='monkeylizard' timestamp='1352473352' post='842444']
My response to people like that is one I picked up from someone here on TGO (I'd give credit, but I don't recall who posted it).

When asked why I'm carrying a gun: "[b]You mean you don't? I sure hope your luck holds out.[/b]"

I suppose with a jerk like you dealt with that might not be enough, so one could add. "[b]Let me get this straight. You feel uncomfortable and your solution to that is to confront the guy with a gun? Let me know how that works out for you. By the way, odds are that I'm not the only one in this restaurant with one."[/b]

As for church, I figure that's actually the place I'm most likely to need it. I'm more likely to get caught up in the middle of someone else's domestic problems there.
[/quote]

My response would be something like "blow it out your ass, yankee boy". I am more than done with libtards right now.
  • Like 2
[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1352478742' post='842498']
My family and my wife's family are all huggers. I got in the habit a long time ago of "hugging low". This forces in most cases the other person to "hug high".
[/quote]
[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1352479151' post='842503']
Haha I just am not a big hugger anyways. It took me a while to show everyone that but I think they are catching on.
[/quote]

Maybe you should have offered the guy a happy hug.
In sales, I was taught to create an "elevator speech" on what I did for a living in the time it takes for an elevator to get to your chosen floor... maybe 15-30 seconds. You practice the spiel until you get it perfect.

It's a good idea to have pre-planned spiel that you can give anyone anytime should they ask about handgun carry. I have one for a neutral situation, one for a mildly confrontational situation like this one, and one should I be questioned by law enforcement. I even practice them on occasion so I don't inadvertently say something stupid if provoked.

Further, I have two very personal stories I can tell in 30 seconds or so that would end most hostile conversations. The first one begins, "I've only needed to have a gun once..." and the other one begins, "My sister called to tell me my cousin had been murdered..."

I have never been in this situation. Knowing me, I would probably say something like. "Mr. you seem a little crazy. I am starting to feel threatened by your presence." :)

As for the carry in church, I refer to Luke 22:36
[i]He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."[/i]

Edited by Scwrod
I can't stand someone poking their nose around what obviously isn't their business. I've dealt with morons like you describe before. Usually I reply with: Did you wear your seatbelt on the way here? Why? Same reason I carry. Next.

Or sometimes it's fun to put on a fake bronx accent and say loudly: "You ain't the boss o' me." Edited by Volphin
Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='Oaklands' timestamp='1352480119' post='842510']
I don't know what the guy actually said to you as it isn't listed in the op, so it would be hard for me tell you what I would have said. If he sat down after I did, I would tell him he could move somewhere else. It is my right to carry and I have a permit to do so. Let's end this discussion now so I can enjoy my meal with my child.

If he smarted off again, I would let him know that if someone were to come in causing trouble, I would be sure to point out to the perp that this guy here has a real problem with anyone carrying a gun and would like to talk to you about it. Also, if someone starts to shoot your way, I will make sure I don't do anything to protect you.

[/quote]

What the guy said was posted in the thread "[url="http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/54335-the-big-question-concealed-or-open/"]The big question - concealed or open?[/url]" , the thread has been closed but is still available.
On the church thing...there was a church shooting here in Knoxville a few years ago. Two killed, seven wounded. Food for thought.

As far as the a-hole goes I would have told him to mind his own business. Edited by Garufa
Guest Gen. Patton
[quote name='Oaklands' timestamp='1352480119' post='842510']

[/quote]

I was tempted to be like that but no. In the event that I have to kill someone I want there to be so much fodder for my defense lawyer to throw at the D.A. that they are more likely to not press charges. That's my best chance of getting out of jail quickly after an event of that magnitude. If I don't have a chance to think about all of that because someone is putting my or a loved ones life in danger then that is what it is, but I'm always vigilant of the legal aftermath of my actions. That's just how I operate.
Last night was a first for me, I carried both the Glock 23 and my 9mm shield. No reason, just simply because i could. In wal-mart in Fayetteville last night. Nobody noticed, nobody cared. Glock was OC, shield was CC.

Before i got into guns, i would occasionally see people ( mainly older men) carrying openly. Never though to ask why, guess since being raised in the south i was taught to respect other people's business and keep my nose out of theirs.

One thing this population needs to learn is mindin their own business instead of confronting someone for something they know nothing about. But i guess that would be asking a bit too much...
  • Like 1
Wasn't this guy, was it??

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqpjWnQjC5s&feature=g-hist"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqpjWnQjC5s&feature=g-hist[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlMiXeIwH7s&feature=g-hist"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlMiXeIwH7s&feature=g-hist[/url]
[quote name='Gen. Patton' timestamp='1352470546' post='842399']
I'm in a restaraunt with my daughter minding my own business and I am pestered by someone who has a problem with me exercising my 2nd Amendment right to carry open or concealed....[/quote]

No one else has mentioned, but don't get all carried away with the 2A hayride here. The fact that you can carry open or concealed here is a privilege granted by the TN Legislature. One you pay for. That privilege is already a 2A infringement.

I'll also posit that it's more likely that open carry will be banned as an option in TN than that unlicensed open carry will be enacted.

- OS

Gen Patton,

I believe this second thread may be in part a rebuttal to the response I wrote in the other thread. First of all allow me to apologize for coming across as a smarta$$ naysayer, perhaps I spoke out of turn.
Your post here reads a lot differently from the one I first read which made no mention of any kind of hostile negative attitude on the part of the man in the restaurant. I still disagree with getting two words away from violence especially in front of impressionable children (you had mentioned initially his, but made no written issue with "handing out an ass whoopin" in front of your own).

I realize how frustrating situations like this can be and I'm glad everything worked out for you and once again apologize if my response was a bit harsh, it sounded to me like you had made an biased assumption that the man was out to cause problems, which seems not to be the case in light of the information give above. Hopefully there are no hard feelings on your end as there none on my end.

Of course my reply should probably be taken with a grain of salt as I am one of those low down dirty asshat Yankees and thus apparently devoid of both common sense and common curtesy as we all(Yankees that is) apparently are.
But hey at least I won't ever question anyone right and desire to carry. :)

[url="http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/witnesses-describe-shooting/nS3cd/"]http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/witnesses-describe-shooting/nS3cd/[/url]

This was around Atlanta...

This is the one that was in Knoxville in 2008 that Garufa mentioned.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoxville_Unitarian_Universalist_church_shooting"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knoxville_Unitarian_Universalist_church_shooting[/url]
Guest Gen. Patton
@DaveS- I was open carrying but only because I was wearing a suit and my jacket was off and I had not yet bought an inside tuckable IWB holster.

@TrickyNicky-I don't discriminate on locality of birth; There good and bad people both in the South and up North. The only reason that I even mentioned the "Northern" thing is because as the guy and his family rode away I noticed that his licence plate was from Illinois and coincidently, if my memory serves me correctly, is the only state in the union with absolutely no provision for CCW. As for the "two words" thing I wasn't saying that 2 more words would have unleashed my inner Tazmanian Devil or anything lol! When I said it was going to "another level" it meant that verbal jujitsu wasn't working and it was time let him know that if he continued to behave in a way that made me and my daughter feel harrassed and uncomfortable that he would be dealt with and whatever happned after that would just happen. I was going to give him the option of leaving, again, or me and my daughter were going to leave and he wasn't going to like what I did on the way out the door. I like giving people options so that if I do end up doing something to them I can do so with a clear conscience. I would hate to have to subject my daughter to that kind of experience but I didn't exactly put us in that position, the blow-hard with a problem with guns did. Edited by Gen. Patton