Suggestions for dealing with trespassers?

Guest Drewsett
My favorite way to deal with tresspassers is to confront them and tell them the landowner has asked me to shoot tresspassers, but he's a little crazy. I figured I'd come and warn you that I called him, you may want to leave while it's still safe to do so. I've never seen the same tresspassers twice...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1352600573' post='843480']
Hey, my house if for sale but anyone who wants to hang out until it's sold is welcome.
[/quote]

World of difference between your house and a piece of farm land. Many people rent their houses out while they are waiting to sell them. Many other people let someone else look after their "land" for them so they don't have to deal with the headaches.

I fully manage and control 187 acres of prime hunting/farm land because the owner of the property doesn't want to fool with it. Only catch is (and the OP could do the same thing) I have to keep litter up, fences fixed, and people off the property. I hunt the property and also I have full control on who I let hunt the property. It's a win win situation.

The OP could LEASE the property until it sells. That opens a whole new world of opportunities up for him. There are several options the OP could go with.

Dave S
[quote name='Sour Kraut' timestamp='1352634686' post='843639']
What about liability issues? what happends if the guys (or someone) gets hurt on a lease(or while tresspassing)? I would not think the owner is responsible but people like to sue and blame others for their idiotic behavior.
[/quote]

Depending what happened to hurt someone, yes, the owner could be held responsible. Written waivers and "Hold Harmless" agreements go along way to protect a property owner though. A written lease or written permission to hunt (providing the property is properly posted) should contain wording to "release the property owner from liablilty".

But yes, anyone can sue anyone for anything.

Dave S
I wouldn't give anyone who willing trespasses permission to lick dirt off my boots. Lease it to someone responsible maybe, but not those dirt bags. There is no excuse for trespass & illegal hunting. Either you own it, or you know the person that does. If its questionable then you go somewhere else.
  • Like 2
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1352636317' post='843645']
But yes, anyone can sue anyone for anything.

Dave S
[/quote]

And even if they do not win it still costs a lot to defend against [u]ANY[/u] suit. Even if you knew it was likely to be thrown out at the first hearing you would be stupid to not seek counsel. And that counsel costs money.

Dolomite
  • Like 1
[i]Poachers make it difficult for the rest of us that hunt. They slither onto someones property, take the game, then slither back away. My sons and I ask the owner and get written permission. I would make sure that my land was posted, then prosecute fully.[/i]
thanks for all the replies. The property is posted because I found evidence of after hours partying. There;s an old house which is secured. After I discovered evidence of trespass I then scared the crap out of a bunch of partying kids. Then I stated having a bunch of jackoffs run their dogs on the property.
Enough is enough. It's posted and the entry is chained up. Some one has driven through the back fence row to get in to hunt.
Bottom line is I am going to make a very serious effort to catch these jerks and the way I fee about it is there will be hell to pay when I do.
[quote name='Lumber_Jack' timestamp='1352655812' post='843803']
Just in case you don't know Saturday(17th) is opening day of rifle season. Any half way dedicated hunter will be there Saturday morning.
[/quote]

What he said. That would be a good chance to catch them. Always remember..."PICK your FIGHT"!

Dave S
Post "No Trespassing" signs every 100 yards on the barrier of your property. Signs must be visible from the outside of your property and not obstructed by shrubbery or trees. Post your signs at least 3 feet from the ground (to a fence in a secure manner is a good idea). Signs should be easy to read and at least contain the phrase "No Trespassing." Some signs that are available will contain a more in-depth explanation; however, this is not legally necessary. These signs can be purchased at your local hardware store or online.

File an initial complaint by reporting any trespassers to your local police station. If trespassers damage your property (for example, cut your fence to enter the property), photograph all damage that occurred. This will serve as evidence during a criminal trial if you decide to press criminal charges. Trespassing is a class C misdemeanor in Tennessee and is therefore punishable by a $50 fine or up to 30 days in jail.

Press charges against the trespasser after filing your initial complaint to the police. This will help to prevent trespassers from returning to your property. To do this, request to the officer filing the complaint that criminal charges be filed against the accused. If damage was done to your property by the trespasser, you may also wish to file a civil suit against them in small claims court. This may lead to a judgement that the accused would have to pay for any repairs needed due to the trespassing. To file a civil suit against someone in Tennessee, you need to issue a court summons against them with the clerk of the court in your district. They will then be summoned, or ordered, to appear in court and be given a ruling. If the ruling is decided in your favor by the judge preceding over your case, you may be able to collect reimbursement for property repairs.

Dave S
[list]

[/list] Edited by DaveS
Guest tommy62
Get your local Game Warden involved. Chances are that if they are hunting on posted land they probably do not have license. Fish and Game have more teeth than LEOs in these cases.
  • 3 weeks later...
I would find all their blinds and any supplies, remove them. Post signs on each side of the "road" they are creating, tire spike the road and put new barbed wire up. I would also put in motion detector IR camera's to record the entire event should they decide to break the fence, ignore the signs and get some flat tires.
  • 2 weeks later...