.45 cans and host pistols

Guest tbone

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting a .45 can for my next purchase. Right now I am leaning toward an Osprey .45 a Lilberty Miranda. Do any of you haven any expierence with these or other similar cans. Also, I am looking for the right host pistol. I want to keep my overall length short. I am thinking 1911 commander or officers. Or perhaps a M&P 45 or 45 C. Thanks in advance for any ideas that you have.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the SWR
I run a gemtech blackside on a usp tactical with out a LID. Had a friend run it on his usp compact .45 with no probs. Only thing about going short and light is you need to run an ablatitive. ie...ultra sound/wire pulling gel, certain oils, water or piss to get best suppression. Gemtech Blackside is a "wet can" Ultra sound gel gives you about a 8 = 10 rnds of great suppression then slowly gets louder until about 15 rnds. The blackside is about 2 inches shorter than the osprey, providing you get the model without the LID. FYI: Suposedly runs well on 1911's, no personal experience though with the 1911. Edited by Static_USMC
Thanks for sharing. I had not considered the Gemtech. However, I am really wanting to keep it dry, and that is kind of steering me away from the Gemtech. I had not considered the Ti-rant. I will give it a look also. Here is the second part of the question. Where is the best place to get sights, (for either the M&P 45 or 1911)? Also, any expierence with the best place to get threaded barrels? I have heard good things about Bar-Sto, what about Storm Lake? Are there other sources that some of you have been satisfied with? Thanks in advance.
[quote name='tbone' timestamp='1352769865' post='844583']
Thanks for sharing. I had not considered the Gemtech. However, I am really wanting to keep it dry, and that is kind of steering me away from the Gemtech. I had not considered the Ti-rant. I will give it a look also. Here is the second part of the question. Where is the best place to get sights, (for either the M&P 45 or 1911)? Also, any expierence with the best place to get threaded barrels? I have heard good things about Bar-Sto, what about Storm Lake? Are there other sources that some of you have been satisfied with? Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

I use Storm Lake and got mine at cheaper than dirt. I got my other SL barrel off a forum because it is pretty difficult to find a Pro size threaded barrel. Not sure about the sights because Im just running factory. You adapt and learn to shoot "through" the suppressor so Im in no rush to buy higher sights.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='RWF' timestamp='1354846916' post='856209']
sorry i do not remember the brand but the wife and got to shoot one that had all the suppresser body below the standard 1911 sights. looked funny at first but after shooting it loved it. and it was a dry can.
[/quote]

Sounds like you shot an Osprey...
[quote name='Capbyrd' timestamp='1355172971' post='858015']
If it was a kinda squared off shape then it was an Osprey. If it was round, it was a Maxim style from YHM but those have been discontinued I think.
[/quote]
kinda squred off