I picked up a used G19 from a guy just over a month ago for $450 with an M3 tactical light and night sights(even though there starting to dim slightly). Anyways he said it had about 200 rounds through it. I checked it out, locked the slide back, and inspected everything. When I got it home and played around with it a little more and I waited about a week before I shot it. So before I took it out i wanted to clean it. It looked like it had never been cleaned. Once I cleaned and lubed it, it started making a slight anooying squeak when you rack the slide. It never did this before so is there something Im not oiling?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a couple of drops of oil on the plastic guide rod, and work the spring around to spread it out. It'll quiet down just fine. :P

You do know that, while a Glock can run bone-dry and filthy, you're supposed to oil the interface between the connector and the trigger bar (this is the most important drop of oil)... Right?

Guest sling
No.

Not just no. Hell no. It amazes me that the only lube that the range nazi's at my local range have is WD40. Take a guess who that is... ;)

If it comforts ya any my G19 i just bought brand new squeaks. Its just part of the package. :D

I had a guy bring me a 19 and a 23 one day to put a lighter trigger bar in them. I broke them down and I kid you not, the guy had been lubing them with motor oil. it was the nastiest thing I have ever seen~

Not even new motor oil, this was black used oil.

Yep. Three small drops is all that is needed.

You don't really need to oil anything. It's just the recoil spring. It's perfectly normal and will stop after a time. Too much oil on a Glock is a bad thing.
Guest sling
I had a guy bring me a 19 and a 23 one day to put a lighter trigger bar in them. I broke them down and I kid you not, the guy had been lubing them with motor oil. it was the nastiest thing I have ever seen~

Not even new motor oil, this was black used oil.

Hah! What works, works i guess.

Not just no. Hell no. It amazes me that the only lube that the range nazi's at my local range have is WD40. Take a guess who that is... :hat:

If it comforts ya any my G19 i just bought brand new squeaks. Its just part of the package. :D

Exactly. WD 40 is a dessicant, not a lubricant. It has very little lubricating properties and no real viscosity. It is not designed to lubricate during heat. It displaces water, dries up moisture and prevents rust. It has just enough lubricant to make a door hinge stop squeaking and keep it dry, but certainly not enough to lubricate anything which gets hot, especially as the result of friction.

If you want it to prevent rust while it is put away, OK, but don't use it to actually lubricate a gun. My gosh.

Guest sling

If i'm not mistaken its flammable too....:panic:

I've heard stories of pressure issues if sprayed and left in the chamber area...but those may just be fiction. Never actually seen it happen.

Yep. Three small drops is all that is needed.

Sorta

One drop on either side of the slide, in the groove for the frame rail.

A light film around the outside of the barrel near the muzzle

A light film on the barrel lugs/locking block

A light film on the inside of the top of the slide where the barrel hood makes contact.

...And a small drop on the end of the trigger bar where it contacts the connector.

(That last one is the important one that most people leave dry.)