Cannon 24 gun Safe at TSC VS Field and Stream 16 gun Dick's

Guest 270win

I have narrowed down my safe choices to a Cannon 24 gun safe with the electric lock at TSC and also a Field and Stream 16 gun safe from Dick's Sporting Goods.

Have folks had problems with the electric locks on the Cannon? If there are not problems with the electric, I would like the Cannon because it is roughly the same price as the 16 gun safe at Dick's. The safe at Dick's has a dial lock on it.
Of course I will admit that I would like to sell you a safe over Dicks or TSC but if not I will let you know the biggest difference over the two locks your are talking about. The lock on the Cannon is a basic electronic lock that is fairly dependable, We do alot of the service work for Cannon and they stand behind the lock for a certain amount of time and will send us out to repair or replace a defective lock, matter of fact just replaced one last week for a customer. The mechanical lock on the Stack on is a lower quality mechanical lock and not the same quality as the Cannon. Security wise the Cannon is the better safe and if the Cannon was the same price that would be my choice. Hope this helps with your decision.

TSH
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
[quote name='av88tor' timestamp='1353475042' post='849042']
Of course I will admit that I would like to sell you a safe over Dicks or TSC but if not I will let you know the biggest difference over the two locks your are talking about. The lock on the Cannon is a basic electronic lock that is fairly dependable, We do alot of the service work for Cannon and they stand behind the lock for a certain amount of time and will send us out to repair or replace a defective lock, matter of fact just replaced one last week for a customer. The mechanical lock on the Stack on is a lower quality mechanical lock and not the same quality as the Cannon. Security wise the Cannon is the better safe and if the Cannon was the same price that would be my choice. Hope this helps with your decision.

TSH
[/quote]

That's good customer service right there!

I purchased my Cannon from the Safe House about three years ago and I went with the mechanical lock...my thinking was that there was slightly less chance for a problem and/or if a problem occurred, it would be easier to find someone to work on it but I really don't know if my reasoning has any merit or not!

I also worry about a massive EMP from a North Korean or Chinese Nuke and/or massive solar event and didn't want to have my firearms inaccessible in when our electronic society broke down. ;)

I kind of figure as thin as the Cannon safe is at TSC that if the electric lock broke and I could not get a lock smith to help that I could get in that safe with the right tools. I know that it is not a bank quality safe, just good enough to keep your average meth head out of it.

How hard is it to change the lock from an electric lock to a dial lock if i wanted to change that down the road?
More important than the electronic lock what is the fire rating on the Cannon safe? If not at least 60 mins you might want to reconsider. Gander Mountain has a big selection of safes at most locations. They only sell top quality safes (don't think I saw any Cannon's there). No I don't work from Gander Mt but I did buy my safe there. At first I was shopping for price until I looked into how safe's are built and where they are built. I paid more for one made in the USA. Elec locks are great... the only way to go.
[quote name='razorback2003' timestamp='1353520910' post='849177']I kind of figure as thin as the Cannon safe is at TSC that if the electric lock broke and I could not get a lock smith to help that I could get in that safe with the right tools. I know that it is not a bank quality safe, just good enough to keep your average meth head out of it.

How hard is it to change the lock from an electric lock to a dial lock if i wanted to change that down the road?[/quote]

My safe with an electronic lock came with a key, in the event the electronic lock malfunctions.
Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1
Okay since the subject of top quality American built safes came up, if you would like to drop by our showroom I can show you the largest selection of gun safes in Tennessee. Promotionial ad over back to the regular scheduled post already in progress..........
  • Like 2

Might I suggest to the OP; what kind (quality, size, etc) depends on a lot of factors. I didn't buy the most expensive safe out there because when I looked at the variables I didn't think I needed one. Those variables included but were not limited to...
[list=1]
[*]Overall cost
[*]That my local FD station is less than 4 minutes response time away (don't ask me how I know this). :)
[*]I have a pretty good multi-layered monitored security system, including fire monitoring and a four-legged hall monitor...no one is going to get into my house without tripping the alarm (and the alarm has multiple ways to send out a signal to the monitoring company) and the police here seem to respond pretty quickly (again, don't ask how I know this).
[*]We also have a pretty good Neighborhood Watch group here and I actually know some of my neighbors!
[/list]

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I picked up the tractor supply cannon 24 gun safe over the weekend. It took a fridge dolly to move it. The electric lock seems to work. I know it is not as thick as the good Liberty or Fort Knox, but to keep the avg thief or child out of it, I think it will work. I don't know how Cannon came up with with saying the safe holds 24 guns, but i'd be lucky to get 10 in the safe at most.