Rossi 92 in 45colt as first/only/all purpose rifle

Tennjed

I grew up hunting on occasion and still do. When I do I have a multitude of family members with land and rifles. I am a handgun fanatic. I love shooting and collecting them. I have just never gotten around to getting a rifle. I have reached to point where I want one and feel I "need" one. (I do have a Ruger 10/22 so the rimfire rifle is covered)

I reload and my favorite caliber is 45 colt. I am considering a Rossi 92 in 45 colt with a 24" barrel. What is everyone's opinon on this as a first rifle. My primary use for all firearms is fun and hobby, but self defense is important. I am pretty sure this gun would be a hoot to shoot, but how do you think it would stack up as an all purpose gun (100-150 yard hunting, self defense, SHTF [ I know those thread are frowned upon, but this would be part of the guns role])

Should I break down and get a AR or AK? I know both of those would have higher capacity and longer ranges.
I am driving myself crazy trying to pick out my christmas present and I keep going back to the Rossi. Already reloading for 45 colt plays a big role in wanting this gun. ARs get a lot of hype and I am sure it is for a good reason.
What are your thoughts?
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Rossi 92 in 38spl/357mag, and it's a great gun. As long as your are already reloading 45 colt I wouldn't think twice about getting one as a fun gun. But as a self defense or a SHTF gun I would plan on adding a AR to the collection at some time. Just my $.02
I do love my AR. But I think there is a lot of deluded drama in some people's eyes when it comes to the poop hitting the fan.

Do you have military or other high quality training to fight with a rifle? Most of us don't and even the ones who do have a long way to go before reaching Jedi master. Do you really intend to allow yourself to be put in a position where you are repelling multitudes? Do you think you would fare well against a large group with an Ak or Ar?

The 45 colt, properly loaded will hit like a sledgehammer and will cleanly kill any animal in TN. It can be loded light with a lightweight bullet and take little bunnies or heavy and knock down black bear if you put the bullet where it needs to go. It will feed you and your family. It is handy, quick and since you handload, you should be able to get a great level of accuracy from it. You get seven or eight rounds and it's easy to top off. How long past those rounds do you think you'd be able to make it in a fire fight? I won't make it much past that. I can't say for others.

My opinion would be that it would be anincredible first rifle and would do very well for you needs. It will also draw very little attention as well. An AR or AK bring an automatic opinion to the mind of any who see it. The little lever gun is humble and unassuming.
My OL has that very rifle, a lot of fun to shoot. Her's is a "Rifleman" model, larg loop with the screw that will
pull the trigger when the action closes, we paid to much for it but She is very happy and that is what counts.
Thanks for all the info guys. As far as the 24" vs the 20", I assumed the 24" would give me better accuracy and a little longer effective range. If it is just a marginal difference I might go with the 20". What is everyone's opinion on the accuracy and reach difference? Edited by Tennjed
I have the Rossi 92 (45 Colt) in a 16" bbl, and a Winchester 94 (30-30) in a 24" bbl.

For carrying, and for hunting (mostly 50-75 yds) the 16" is significantly easier to handle, and makes a better house gun also.

The shorter carbines are just plain fun!
I doubt you'll see much velocity gain in a 24" versus a 20" barrel. It is a handgun round after all and designed for a handgun length barrel.

Were it me, I'd go with a 16" barrel. Much handier. The advantages of the longer barrel are sight radius and ammo capacity, assuming it has a full-length tube. The advantages of a shorter barrel are weight and handiness. I wouldn't factor in velocity.

I do like longer barrels in full size rifle cartridges. If I were considering a .308 Win., I'd go with a 20" or longer barrel. But not with a .45 Colt.
Personally I would go with the same gun in .357 with a 16"-18" barrel. With that length you essentially can get 30-30 performance. You can also load the lighter .38/9mm bullets for small game or juice the velocity up for bigger game. Add to that you can use .38spl or .357mag and in an SHTF scenario you can reload with 9mm bullets as well. That keeps cost, weight, and availability at maximum effectiveness while adding versatility. The .45 is a little more limited as far as hunting versatility, capacity, cost, availability, and weight.
Guest Papabear
Personally I would not go beyond a 20 inch barrel in a pistol caliber lever gun. Your not going to really gain anything velocity wise, the sight radius will be a little better but the shorter barrel is going to be much handier. Since you already load for 45 it would be a fine rifle for you. Many deer sized game have been taken with both the .357 Mag and .45 Long Colt so as long as you use good judgement in your distances I see no problem at all. As for using it as a house gun/general purpose gun I don't see any problem at all with the .45 it's a proven round and since you handload you can tailor ammo to what you want to do. Get a good cowboy action load and it will be running about 800 fps with a very mild recoil that makes it alot of fun to just plink with.
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1353765756' post='849991']
I do love my AR. But I think there is a lot of deluded drama in some people's eyes when it comes to the poop hitting the fan.

Do you have military or other high quality training to fight with a rifle? Most of us don't and even the ones who do have a long way to go before reaching Jedi master. Do you really intend to allow yourself to be put in a position where you are repelling multitudes? Do you think you would fare well against a large group with an Ak or Ar?

The 45 colt, properly loaded will hit like a sledgehammer and will cleanly kill any animal in TN. It can be loded light with a lightweight bullet and take little bunnies or heavy and knock down black bear if you put the bullet where it needs to go. It will feed you and your family. It is handy, quick and since you handload, you should be able to get a great level of accuracy from it. You get seven or eight rounds and it's easy to top off. How long past those rounds do you think you'd be able to make it in a fire fight? I won't make it much past that. I can't say for others.

My opinion would be that it would be anincredible first rifle and would do very well for you needs. It will also draw very little attention as well. An AR or AK bring an automatic opinion to the mind of any who see it. The little lever gun is humble and unassuming.
[/quote]perfectly said. I love my lever guns and are my goto guns. I grew up on a farm and I have always used a lever gun.
Guest Papabear
[quote name='Tennjed' timestamp='1354049009' post='851521']
Thanks guys. It is interesting about the differences in the 357 and 45. I reload for both. I was thinking the 45 would have more power, but now I may reconsider the 357
[/quote]

If you reload for both your in a good position. I have several carbines in .357 Mag myself but it's just the caliber I happen to be a big fan of. There are alot of loads out there that mimic a 30/30 pretty well. And having the ability to throw .38 in the mix it becomes a very versitile platform.
The shorter barrel versions are very handy. The only plus I've found with the 24 inch octagonal Rossi is the forward weight keeps it steadier when firing off hand. No significant ballistic advantage in .44 magnum that I am aware of.
A .357/.38 lever gun is on my short list, but for an all around military-grade rifle, what about a USGI .30cal Carbine.

For fun and hobby - plinking and target shooting out to 200 - 250 yards.

In capable hands (not mine) you could hunt out to 150 yards.

Self defense and hunting rounds are available from Speer and others.

If the SHTF, you've got accuracy, high rate of fire if needed, 15 / 30 round mags are readily available on-line, simple to strip and clean, just stock up on ammo and consider re-loading. Don't forget to get an M4 Bayonet in the event you run out of ammo...

It is a little pricey to shoot if you don't reload but ammo can be found at most gun stores and on-line ($22 - $28 per 50 110gr FMJ) and it is an amazing piece of American history.