Are Walmart guns different?

hlb14

Are the guns manufacturers provide to the big box stores like Walmart any different from the ones available at other gun retailers? Specifically in this case are Colts any different? I'm not knowledgable enough to be able to handle the gun and know if anything is off right away. Thanks
They order from the same distributor as any other dealer. And the distributor grabs the gun Walmart ordered just like they would for any other dealer. The Colt you get is the same exact gun as you would get from any other dealer.

Anyone who has told you Walmart guns are inferior is an idiot. That was a rumor started by crooked, lying dealers to try to boost their own sales.

Dolomite
  • Like 2
If I was a dealer I would make the claim or fuel the rumor mill the box store ones are special or are of lesser quality. Because i want you to buy from me. Think about it from the manufacturer side. They must be the same, or they would run the risk of alienieting the customers or open themselves up to some liability.
[quote name='Runco' timestamp='1353769847' post='850021']
If I was a dealer I would make the claim or fuel the rumor mill the box store ones are special or are of lesser quality. Because i want you to buy from me. Think about it from the manufacturer side. They must be the same, or they would run the risk of alienieting the customers or open themselves up to some liability.
[/quote]
For example, the name brand tires you buy at costco, Sams or Walmart are not the same as the tires you get at a retailer. They are cheaper and made in special runs so the discount chains can buy in bulk at a cheaper rate. Edited by hlb14
Think about it from the manufacturer side. They must be the same, or they would run the risk of alienieting the customers or open themselves up to some liability.
[/quote]

This, plus think of the extra investment to build two sets of parts, doesn't make a lick of sense.
  • Like 1
I heard that they microchip the guns, use RFID, and scan your face when you are purchasing the firearms. They put the data in a special database that is sold for marketing purposes. An extra copy is delivered to Feinstein and the Brady group so that when they come for the guns...they will know exactly where to go. Bloomberg machines serve double duty to track all owners in real time. The gun's receivers are made from grade BB chinese pot metal and the wood made from a 2x4 soaked in dioxin.

But other than that they are 100% like any other gun sent via a distributor.
  • Like 3
[quote name='hlb14' timestamp='1353770737' post='850032']
For example, the name brand tires you buy at costco, Sams or Walmart are not the same as the tires you get at a retailer. They are cheaper and made in special runs so the discount chains can buy in bulk at a cheaper rate.
[/quote]
Just curious what evidence do you have to support your tire claim?
[quote name='I_Like_Pie' timestamp='1353772933' post='850043']
I heard that they microchip the guns, use RFID, and scan your face when you are purchasing the firearms. They put the data in a special database that is sold for marketing purposes. An extra copy is delivered to Feinstein and the Brady group so that when they come for the guns...they will know exactly where to go. Bloomberg machines serve double duty to track all owners in real time. The gun's receivers are made from grade BB chinese pot metal and the wood made from a 2x4 soaked in dioxin.

But other than that they are 100% like any other gun sent via a distributor.
[/quote]

All true.

Wally's Ruger 10/22 receivers are assembled from recycled sardine cans in Taiwan, barrels are formed from ground bamboo impregnated with epoxy and unsmelted iron ore in Malaysia, all assembled by current descendents of Nazi war criminals in Argentina.

And all the ammo sold there is actually rebranded Chinese manufacture. Even the Russian stuff.

- OS
  • Like 1
[/quote]

In addition to this, Walmart buys in huge quantity, way more than any LGS ever could. I've compared Winchester & Savage hunting rifles several times because I have exported, then imported them into countries where I have worked. I didn't want to go to all that trouble for junk. There was zero difference in Winchester and Savage long guns. I want to help support the LGS, especially since some are friends, but if I can save a considerable amount at Wally I have to go with them.
Cherokee Slim
[quote name='nightrunner' timestamp='1353769421' post='850016']
I am of the understanding that walmart gets some special edition cheaper guns. I dont think colt does that but i think marlin does.
[/quote]
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1353770658' post='850030']
There are some less expensive models only available at Wal Mart. I believe the Marlin 30AW is such an example. Other than that, being the same make and model, the Walmart gun rolls off the same assembly line as the one at Joe's gun shop.
[/quote]

There are various dealer exclusive models made by various firearms companies. Marlin, Remington, Mossberg, Ruger etc have done it for many years for sale through various outlets. Marlin's Greenfield stuff and the 30AW (which combined a couple of features of the 336A and 336W) the Wally 10/22 special (20" stainless model, which is actually a quite desirable rifle), etc etc.And certainly not just Walmart either, just look at Ruger's dealer exclusives for the 10/22, Mark III, 22/45, etc on site. They vary by stock and sight configs primarily, but as gregintenn says, the basic components of the firearms are the same. And with same warranty as any others.

- OS Edited by OhShoot
  • Administrator
[quote name='OhShoot' timestamp='1353777301' post='850067']
All true.

Wally's Ruger 10/22 receivers are assembled from recycled sardine cans in Taiwan, barrels are formed from ground bamboo impregnated with epoxy and unsmelted iron ore in Malaysia, all assembled by current descendents of Nazi war criminals in Argentina.

And all the ammo sold there is actually rebranded Chinese manufacture. Even the Russian stuff.

- OS
[/quote]

It really does none of us any good to propagate rumors like this. You and I both know that's all a bunch of crap. Except for the Nazi war criminals part. That's true.
  • Like 3
[quote name='hlb14' timestamp='1353775000' post='850057']
I've been in the automotive business for almost 15 years now, having worked with various reps from several manufacturers, where the $$ is saved is the tread patterns, which are more noisy and don't wear as well.
[/quote]

Every tire I ever bought at walmart was just ####ty. They would get round places in them.
Guest TankerHC
This came up so often on other Forums a while back I decided to call several manufacterers and just ask. WHat I was told by all of them, the answer is NO. However, Remington support and Mossberg told me that at some points, Walmart will request some models (597, 702) to have some metal parts replaced with plastic, parts that are not signifanct and do not affect operation. This is only when they want to offer a lower cost model in a sale or something along those lines, other than that, they are all the same. Ruger says they are ALL the same no difference. The general consensus is that none of them do anything like that except in rare circumstances when a sale for a low cost model is offered, and then even thats rare. Ruger gave the best answer "If we did that we would have to have a seperate manufacturing line, that wouldnt be cost effective, so everyone gets the same guns".

While I was on the phone with the Ruger rep, I also brought up another myth. That the pre polymer trigger guard 10/22 models are the better models. The fact is, they are exactly the opposite. There were changes to some parts, most notably the trigger guard. But it wasnt to save money. Over the years Ruger had recieved a lot of complaints about bent metal trigger guards. So, they switched them to a polymer. One reason being that the polymer they use is ten times stronger than the metal, you would have to use a hammer to break it (In most cases) and concerning cost, it cost them .2 Cents to manufacture a metal guard, it costs them 10 cents for the polymer. Edited by TankerHC
In some cases the Walmart models are actually fancier models than sold elsewhere....The "Wallyworld" special 10/22 model is a prime example. In the 90's they were stainless with the pepper/green laminate. In the 00's they were deluxe sporter models with 22" barrels.....only place you could buy them was Wal mart. the 2000's models in particular sell for quite a premium now on the used market.
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='I_Like_Pie' timestamp='1353819817' post='850339']
In some cases the Walmart models are actually fancier models than sold elsewhere....The "Wallyworld" special 10/22 model is a prime example. In the 90's they were stainless with the pepper/green laminate. In the 00's they were deluxe sporter models with 22" barrels.....only place you could buy them was Wal mart. the 2000's models in particular sell for quite a premium now on the used market.
[/quote]

And their prices are usually better on what they carry. Last night I was looking at our local store, Colt LE6920, $939. Those go for up to $1200 some places, exact same gun. Marlin 336, $299. Not too much cheaper but certainly cheaper than most places.