Are Walmart guns different?

hlb14

[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1354626831' post='854712']
They DO NOT buy their guns directly from the manufacturer, at least not most of them. They might get a few special runs but if it is a run of the mill firearm it comes from a distributor.

Go into any Walmart and ask to see their distributor catalog. They have a catalog with every single gun they have or can get in that catalog. It used to be Lipsey's up until a few years ago but I have not really dug into who is supplying Walmart these days but it most definitely is a distributor and not directly from the manufacturers.

Dolomite
[/quote]

I was in a Walmart (I think Middlesboro Ky?) and there was a tag on the trigger guard that had a Lipsey's Exclusive on it. This was just a few months ago. I was shocked since I was thinking they dealt straight thru the manufacturer.
Guest TankerHC
I spoke with someone named Michelle at Corporate CS at Walmart this morning (I emailed them last night). This is what I was told. Like most of the products they carry firearms are purchased directly from the manufacturer. The manufacturer then uses (In most cases) THIER distributors to deliver the products. Its just how the supply chain works. That includes ammunition and accessories. As for the Special Order Catalog, there is a 2011-2012 Catalog. They are kept behind the counter at any Walmart, ask for it and they will hand it to you. So, to check, I drove over to our local Wally World and asked to see it. Sure enough, Catalog with 2 bucks in a field on the cover and 2011-2012 "Firearms Special Order" in big white block letters on the cover. I asked if I could buy one or get one and was told Walmart doesn't give them out or sell them, that each store only gets a few and they have to stay behind the counter. Then I was told they weren't doing special orders right now and asked why, the old man at the counter directed me to the Sporting Goods manager who informed me that because it is the height of the shopping season they werent doing them, give it about a week and they will start again. She said she had been trying to do them because a lot of people are coming in for special orders but the system wont allow it at the moment. I asked where I could find the 2011-2012 catalog online and she said just search for Walmart Firearms Catalog and leave out the "Special Order Part". Darned if I can find it. What I did find is two Walmart groups on their sites. You can order online for ship to store and pickup. One contains 363 firearms, ammo and other listing, the other 60 firearms.

My email was forwarded over to the proper department for a responce. Ill post the response when (if) I get it.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/hunting/guns,-rifles-ammunition/4125_4155_1088608/?_refineresult=true&facet=category%3ARifles&povid=cat4155-env230387-moduleB090112-lLinkFC1Guns

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?tab_value=all&search_query=guns&search_constraint=4125&cat_id=4125_4155_1088608&pref_store=1710&ss=false&ic=16_0 Edited by TankerHC
I have stood right in front of a manager as they called the distributor to see if they had a gun in stock I wanted to buy. The manager did not call the firearm company to have one shipped, they called the distributor. And when the distributor said they didn't have it the manager told me it couldn't be ordered. I was told by the manager that I could go to distributor's website and see what was in stock. He said that he could order anything listed on the the distributor's website.

Things may have changed since they started using Sports South but I suspect it is the same way just with a different middle man. And if you want to see what Walmart can order then go to the Sports South website and do a search. I bet you could order anything on their website except maybe pistols.
[url="http://www.internetguncatalog.com/Default.aspx?tabid=179"]http://www.internetg....aspx?tabid=179[/url]

There is probably a different supply chain for guns ordered by Walmart and guns ordered through Walmart for a customer. I know the managers have no clue what guns are coming in until they open the boxes to log them in.

As far as who they place the order with I bet you could call 5 different stores and get 3 different answers.

Dolomite Edited by Dolomite_supafly
[quote name='TankerHC' timestamp='1353812128' post='850270']
This came up so often on other Forums a while back I decided to call several manufacterers and just ask. WHat I was told by all of them, the answer is NO. However, Remington support and Mossberg told me that at some points, Walmart will request some models (597, 702) to have some metal parts replaced with plastic, parts that are not signifanct and do not affect operation. [/quote]

So you are saying that Remington and Mossberg could be different at Walmart, at some point. That is similar to what I have heard, that sometimes parts are made from plastic instead of metal to lower cost on specials, but I don't think I would let that scare me away. I wonder what kind of parts in those cases.
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1354655665' post='854900']
I have stood right in front of a manager as they called the distributor to see if they had a gun in stock I wanted to buy. The manager did not call the firearm company to have one shipped, they called the distributor.

There is probably a different supply chain for guns ordered by Walmart and guns ordered through Walmart for a customer. I know the managers have no clue what guns are coming in until they open the boxes to log them in.

As far as who they place the order with I bet you could call 5 different stores and get 3 different answers.

Dolomite
[/quote]

Again, I didnt get my info from a store manager. I spoke to corporate this morning. They buy all their guns directly from the manufacturer. The manufacturers distributers deliver those guns to the stores.

I would say that it's more than likely that regular stock comes directly from the manufacturer.
Special orders are prolly gonna come from a distributor due to the shorter shipping and ordering times.

Now, do I get a cookie? :)

Edited by strickj
[quote name='atlas3025' timestamp='1354656414' post='854906']
So you are saying that Remington and Mossberg could be different at Walmart, at some point. That is similar to what I have heard, that sometimes parts are made from plastic instead of metal to lower cost on specials, but I don't think I would let that scare me away. I wonder what kind of parts in those cases.
[/quote]

Without an exact description of the same model rifle that was changed to suit WalMart, I still call urban legend.

It would actually cost manufacturer more in time and disruption of process line to make a "cheaper" one.

- OS
[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354670709' post='855016']

Without an exact description of the same model rifle that was changed to suit WalMart, I still call urban legend.

It would actually cost manufacturer more in time and disruption of process line to make a "cheaper" one.

- OS
[/quote]

Yup. I'm thinking total BS.
[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354670709' post='855016']

- OS[/quote]
Remington told me directly that they did in the past make guns specific for Walmart and that in in one particular case aftermarket stocks world not fit. We had an 870 that an aftermarket stock didn't fit. The gun came from Walmart. That being said, I doubt since they revamped their gun sales that applies anymore. I thing they area using normal supply chains since fewer sites are carrying guns now.Back when they first started selling guns they had basically the same guns at every store. It would be no different than the Talo guns that are made different in specific runs. Talo specs a gun and they run them in specific numbered runs. If Talo does it on a regular basis, why wouldn't Walmart?
[quote name='AK Guy' timestamp='1354673274' post='855037']
Remington told me directly that they did in the past make guns specific for Walmart and that in in one particular case aftermarket stocks world not fit. We had an 870 that an aftermarket stock didn't fit. The gun came from Walmart....
[/quote]

Ah, Smith. Didn't know that was you.

You've told this before, and the claim stands unique on whole web, not any other report I can find of that. Not one.

Perhaps you had a stock that was out of spec, rather than the shotgun?

- OS
[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354675218' post='855062']

Ah, Smith. Didn't know that was you.

You've told this before, and the claim stands unique on whole web, not any other report I can find of that. Not one.

Perhaps you had a stock that was out of spec, rather than the shotgun?

- OS[/quote]
Uh, another guy said he was told the same thing by some manufactures.
I know your sole source is the internet, but I was told that directly from Remington. Now they could have given bad information but it is what it us. I was also told by the former #3 at Ruger that they didn't make "Walmart specific" guns but did make Walmart speced guns from time to time. The 10/22's were not different.
It is also true that Talo does this all the time and Ruger makes distributor exclusives as a rule. Distributors also make special request on a regular basis for specifically speced guns.
Your telling me that Walmart in their heyday, which sourced more guns than any distributor, couldn't or didn't spec their own guns? Even when that was their and is their mo on everything else they stock on their shelves?
And since your getting real close to calling me an agenda liar, I've worked at Walmart and the gun industry. I don't care if they do or not. I'm a big Walmart fan and am glad to see them back in the market.
BTW - you do know that the Marlin 336"w" standards for Walmart? Its was sourced for Walmart as a more affordable option and then they kept it in their catalog.
[quote name='AK Guy' timestamp='1354676158' post='855072']
And since your getting real close to calling me an agenda liar, I've worked at Walmart and the gun industry. [/quote]

Not real sure what your agenda would be.

But since you're intimated something that I had no intention to do, that will prod me to mention that one reason my credence level is low on this matter with you is because in the same previous thread about this you claimed that you knew for sure that WalMart Winchester White Box was made in China. Which of course is patently and laughably false, unless you'd also like to claim that Winchester is blatantly flaunting US import embargoes.

[quote]BTW - you do know that the Marlin 336"w" standards for Walmart? Its was sourced for Walmart as a more affordable option and then they kept it in their catalog.[/quote]

That may or may not be true. No source from Marlin has ever confirmed it, and even the most exalted gurus on MarlinForums.com don't seem to know. Certainly you have been able to buy a W model from any number of retailers for many years. It and the A denote birch instead of walnut stock (the A also had a cap instead of barrel band)

Even if it was a WalMart only rifle at it's release, that is simply a distributor's exclusive. It wasn't pretending to be a 336c. Ruger distributes a "Wally Special" 10/22 also, and it's actually a quite sought after model, being the only source for it. But it's not pretending to be any other model either. And of course in both cases, the specs for fit of standard modifications are the same as the rest of their same model variations.

- OS

[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354678323' post='855095']

Not real sure what your agenda would be.

But since you're intimated something that I had no intention to do, that will prod me to mention that one reason my credence level is low on this matter with you is because in the same previous thread about this you claimed that you knew for sure that WalMart Winchester White Box was made in China. Which of course is patently and laughably false, unless you'd also like to claim that Winchester is blatantly flaunting US import embargoes.

That may or may not be true. No source from Marlin has ever confirmed it, and even the most exalted gurus on MarlinForums.com don't seem to know. Certainly you have been able to buy a W model from any number of retailers for many years. It and the A denote birch instead of walnut stock (the A also had a cap instead of barrel band)

Even if it was a WalMart only rifle at it's release, that is simply a distributor's exclusive. It wasn't pretending to be a 336c. Ruger distributes a "Wally Special" 10/22 also, and it's actually a quite sought after model, being the only source for it. But it's not pretending to be any other model either. And of course in both cases, the specs for fit of standard modifications are the same as the rest of their same model variations.

- OS[/quote]
I made claims only what was told to me by people much higher in the industry than I and said as much. I have knowledge only what I was told in person. I've been wrong before and I've been right. This won't be the last for either.
As in depth as your Jedi google foo may be, I'd rather trust industry people who make their living dedicated to that field and are privy to information beyond your or my forum memberships.
Again that does not make for fact but does give credence to the question.
I have never claimed inferoirity or superiority of the product and have no agenda other than to contribute to yet another unsolvable internet conjecture.:D

Guest TankerHC
Walmart corporate called me about 30 minutes ago rather than Email. This is what he told me.

Almost all of Walmarts guns come directly from the manufacturer. If certain guns are not available from the manufacturer, they come from their Distributor. They have one distributor. There distributor is Sports South. Sports South acts as the distruboter for firearms Walmart cannot get directly from the manufacturer. Also, Sports South also prints up and distrubutes their Special Order Gun Catalogs. All Firearms that Walmart sells are held in two central located large warehouses (East and West) except for those that need to come from a distributor (He wouldnt tell me where the warehouses are). All Special Orders come from Sports South and are distrubted all over the country.

I asked if Sports South might sell me a Walmart Special Order gun catalog. His answer was that as far as Walmart is concerned you are more than welcome to cal and try and get one, But the catalogs are supposed to be specifically for the stores only. But tey dont have a problem if you can get one.

Now thats right from the horses mouth. The guy at Corporate who is responsible for Firearms sales and distribution for Walmart. Im going with that. Everyone else can believe what they want.

[quote name='strickj' timestamp='1354667526' post='854991']
I would say that it's more than likely that regular stock comes directly from the manufacturer.
Special orders are prolly gonna come from a distributor due to the shorter shipping and ordering times.

Now, do I get a cookie? :)
[/quote]
[quote name='TankerHC' timestamp='1354828193' post='856020']
Walmart corporate called me about 30 minutes ago rather than Email. This is what he told me.

Almost all of Walmarts guns come directly from the manufacturer. If certain guns are not available from the manufacturer, they come from their Distributor. They have one distributor. There distributor is Sports South. Sports South acts as the distruboter for firearms Walmart cannot get directly from the manufacturer. Also, Sports South also prints up and distrubutes their Special Order Gun Catalogs. All Firearms that Walmart sells are held in two central located large warehouses (East and West) except for those that need to come from a distributor (He wouldnt tell me where the warehouses are). All Special Orders come from Sports South and are distrubted all over the country.

I asked if Sports South might sell me a Walmart Special Order gun catalog. His answer was that as far as Walmart is concerned you are more than welcome to cal and try and get one, But the catalogs are supposed to be specifically for the stores only. But tey dont have a problem if you can get one.

Now thats right from the horses mouth. The guy at Corporate who is responsible for Firearms sales and distribution for Walmart. Im going with that. Everyone else can believe what they want.
[/quote]

Where's my cookie?

:)

Edited by strickj
[quote name='TankerHC' timestamp='1354828193' post='856020']

[/quote] here is that catalog if its on the Internet it must be true hehehe but it does not list Walmart any wear on its web site as sellers or dealer http://www.internetguncatalog.com/ Edited by ted
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='ted' timestamp='1354851159' post='856259']
here is that catalog if its on the Internet it must be true hehehe but it does not list Walmart any wear on its web site as sellers or dealer [url="http://www.internetguncatalog.com/"]http://www.internetguncatalog.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Never seen that site before, big company, read on there they have been in business 100 years and are giving up to half a million dollars to Ducks Unlimited this year in matching funds. Sports South must be pretty huge.
[quote name='hlb14' timestamp='1353770737' post='850032']
For example, the name brand tires you buy at costco, Sams or Walmart are not the same as the tires you get at a retailer. They are cheaper and made in special runs so the discount chains can buy in bulk at a cheaper rate.
[/quote]

This is true. You can still of course buy some of the same tires you can buy anywhere else, but Walmart also has certain models that are Walmart only. I actually have some on my truck that are goodyear. They are nowhere on the goodyear website and any search you do for them takes you straight to the Walmart website. We have quite a few like that. Of course, you get what you pay for and they are cheaper, but you do lose some quality. My source? I've worked there for the last 5+ years.
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='dieewigeteufel' timestamp='1355138425' post='857694']
This is true. You can still of course buy some of the same tires you can buy anywhere else, but Walmart also has certain models that are Walmart only. I actually have some on my truck that are goodyear. They are nowhere on the goodyear website and any search you do for them takes you straight to the Walmart website. We have quite a few like that. Of course, you get what you pay for and they are cheaper, but you do lose some quality. My source? I've worked there for the last 5+ years.
[/quote]

Thats the same with a lot of things. Not with Wally World guns, your getting the same guns your getting anywhere else unless they are running some sort of promotion. I mean, seriously, I have spoken with Manufacturers reps, and the Corporate HEAD of Firearms Sales and Distribution at Walmart. If those people cannot be believed and people are more willing to believe Webposts and Facebook, then nothing can really be said. Im sure the guy that "Read it on the Web", worked in the warehouse at Walmart, or worked behind the Sporting Goods counter, knows far more than those people. And I can see where a Company like Ruger would be more than willing to have their rep risk sales by telling people "ME" that the guns are the same guns while simultaneously selling an inferior product.
[quote name='TankerHC' timestamp='1354852143' post='856268']
Never seen that site before, big company, read on there they have been in business 100 years and are giving up to half a million dollars to Ducks Unlimited this year in matching funds. Sports South must be pretty huge.
[/quote]

Funny I linked the Sports South website in post #53.

Dolomite
[quote nTankerHC' timestamp='1355143880' post='857710']

Thats the same with a lot of things. Not with Wally World guns, your getting the same guns your getting anywhere else unless they are running some sort of promotion. I mean, seriously, I have spoken with Manufacturers reps, and the Corporate HEAD of Firearms Sales and Distribution at Walmart. If those people cannot be believed and people are more willing to believe Webposts and Facebook, then nothing can really be said. Im sure the guy that "Read it on the Web", worked in the warehouse at Walmart, or worked behind the Sporting Goods counter, knows far more than those people. And I can see where a Company like Ruger would be more than willing to have their rep risk sales by telling people "ME" that the guns are the same guns while simultaneously selling an inferior product.
[/quote]

Well, I didn't mention firearms. I'm speaking directly about tires.
  • 2 weeks later...