13-year-old shot at Cheatham County WMA range

If it's the totally unsupervised TWRA range in Cheatham County then I'm only surprised it's taken this long. As much as I get annoyed at the strict rules over at Hobson Pike, I'll take that over the idiots who hang out at the unsupervised range. Too many of them think safety rules are for other people to worry about.
  • Like 1
From what I have heard to teen will be fine.
I am a member at the range in Gallatin, we are all ROSs, first member on site is the RSO.
Good bunch from what I have seen so far, ya get some DAs in every crowd.
[quote name='RED333' timestamp='1353810073' post='850254']From what I have heard to teen will be fine.
I am a member at the range in Gallatin, we are all ROSs, first member on site is the RSO.
Good bunch from what I have seen so far, ya get some DAs in every crowd.[/quote]

I've been a member there for 3 or 4 years, and I've never seen anything crazy. Although, I did get an email about a member who recently brought a guest who got busted for bump-firing. He will be very lucky if they don't revoke his membership.
Last time I was at Norris there were a couple of guys on the last land shooting plastic bottles with a shotgun. Well after 5-10 shots the bottles went of the side and down a hill. Tired of waiting for the cease fires one would run down and throw them back up into the firing lane then return to the firing line. Well that transitioned to the guy staying 15 yards in front of the line and throwing the plastic bottles back up as they rolled down the hill. He did this while his buddy, as well as the rest of the kind were actively shooting.

Same day. A guy was sighting in his AR in 22. He set his target out at 25 yards and began sighting in his red dot. Well he apparently wasn't able to see the impacts so he just walked out to the target with the line hot. We all quit shooting, all that is except one. A guy was looking through a high powered scope and didn't notice the idiot. BOOOOOM!!!!!! Scared the crap put of the idiot but what did he do? Sat down 10 yards from his target and 15 yards in front of the line to finish zeroing his gun. He closed the line down for 5 minutes and when we mentioned he could move the target back he got upset. Later, as he walked back to the line, he said he paid his dues so he had every right to do what he did. That was his first time on the range and my last.

I like Nortis because you get to BS with people but the idiots do make it scary.

Dolomite
I posted a while back about the idiots at that range. So this happening doesn't surprise me at all.

The were 3 teenage boys there the day I went that after we called cold, they kept firing on the pistol range when folks were fixing to go down range to change targets.

Had asshats shooting across the range from the pistol range toward the left side berm.

Then another asshat shows up with an AK47 loads up a mag and doesn't even put up a target. He then proceeded to fire it like Rambo across all our 100 yard targets.

I've stopped going up there because of all that idiotic crap. I either shoot at my uncles places or Terry's now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1353854608' post='850402']
According to the news this morning, the boy was at the range with his family. As they walked out to check their targets, a woman began moving several guns from the bench when she accidentally pulled the trigger on a revolver.
[/quote]

A revolver? You really have to try hard to accidentally discharge a revolver in DA mode, not saying she didn't, I wouldn't be surprised at "some" people i've seen if they were to leave a loaded revolver on the bench with the hammer back in SA mode.
[quote name='TripleDigitRide' timestamp='1353854608' post='850402']
According to the news this morning, the boy was at the range with his family. As they walked out to check their targets, a woman began moving several guns from the bench when she accidentally pulled the trigger on a revolver.
[/quote]

If the range was cold and she picked up the gun and pulled the trigger, then they should make an example out of her.
  • Like 1
I was there a good part of the day and left just before sundown. There was an older fellow next to me and mine, a couple of groups to the left, a younger couple to our right, a couple of women to their right, and a group with a disabled vet (from what I heard) to the far right using the pistol targets. I never noticed a 13 year old boy there, but I didn't really look closely. The rangers did stop by around 2-3. The whole time we where, everyone was using proper commands. "RANGE COLD", "RANGE HOT". It was a big surprise to hear about this unfortunate accident. It must have happened right after we left. I really believe no firearms should be touched while the range is cold. I have had to make some individuals aware of the safety precautions there before. Maybe at least showing a handgun carry permit regulation should be enforced to show proof of some knowledge of firearms safety.
This is really a shame... You know, I go to a public range by Benton in the national forest. Most of the time the people there are pretty professional about stuff. Wait for people to appear unloaded, then ask clearly if the range is clear before goin' down range. Only once or twice have there been any rowdy fools.

Hopefully the kid gets better, and I really hope this doesn't get turned into some idiotic reasoning for anti-gun crap.
  • 3 weeks later...

This is why I love our FOP range.  Everyone is safe, yet chill and there is plenty of BSn with other shooters.  No one yells their head off about if the range is hot or cold.  It's like 20 years ago.  If you need to go down range it's nods and hand waves all around.  No one shoots anything they are not supposed to, and everyone is considerate of who is there for pistol or rifle.  It's like 1985 all over again.  Of course to listen to some modern shooters it's amazing we all did not kill ourselves back then.