Stones River TWRA Range

I went to the Stone River shooting range for the first time today. I had read a few things about the range before I went and learned a few things but I learned a few more details that I would like to share with you and for anyone seeking info on the range. BTW: the TN Gov site does a horrible job with such a lack of info.

Some important details to know about this range:

1) Cash or checks only, NO CARDS
2) No ammo is sold there, but targets are sold.
3) You can rent rests and scopes if you need them. No gun rentals.
4) They are still inspecting every weapon and they want a case or bag per weapon.
5) No Concealed Carry
6) Only water is allowed on the range
7) Still only one target per lane, and you have to use the push pins they provide.
8) Many who work there seem crabby. I have read a lot about a certain woman who works there as a range officer. She was there today, and yes, she is loud and "Confident", but she is also very helpful and gives a ####. I observed her being helpful with many people today.
9) Shotgun ranges only with Slugs, no Shot.
10) It's busy
11) Not many "stores" in the immediate vacinity. Get your food, water and ammo before you get there. Edited by Nashville Slim

I've been there a couple of time and yes, it is VERY busy much of the times (weekends, etc). I am pretty sure I know the woman you are speaking of and I too think she is very helpful...really, I thinks most of the RSOs there do an excellent job.

Personally, when it comes to outside ranges I like CHMR and love Montgomery County Shooting Complex (although both, for me, are a bit of a drive, especially MCSC). :)

[quote name='Nashville Slim' timestamp='1353854708' post='850403']
On the other hand; If this range were a private business, it would be out of business in a matter of weeks. The "Customer" experience was pretty awful.
[/quote]

A few more facts...

All the RSO's are volunteers, and get no compensation for the hours they work
All the RSO's are shooters.
Stone's River is the busiest range in the state, and gets lots of newbies, doing lots of stupid stuff.
It is the best facility I've been to in the state

I'm on my third annual membership there. If it was a private business, they could pay a staff, and maybe even open the 50 yard range. I almost always go on Fridays, and have had quite a bit of time to talk to some of the RSO's. That place gets insane on Saturdays and Sundays because of the large volume of shooters. With all that insanity, they manage to keep the place pretty safe.
  • Like 8
[quote name='Nashville Slim' timestamp='1353803947' post='850197']
I went to the Stone River shooting range for the first time today. I had read a few things about the range before I went and learned a few things but I learned a few more details that I would like to share with you and for anyone seeking info on the range. BTW: the TN Gov site does a horrible job with such a lack of info.

Some important details to know about this range:

1) Cash or checks only, NO CARDS
2) No ammo is sold there, but targets are sold.
3) You can rent rests and scopes if you need them. No gun rentals.
4) They are still inspecting every weapon and they want a case or bag per weapon.
5) No Concealed Carry
6) Only water is allowed on the range
7) Still only one target per lane, and you have to use the push pins they provide.
8) Many who work there seem crabby. I have read a lot about a certain woman who works there as a range officer. She was there today, and yes, she is loud and "Confident", but she is also very helpful and gives a ####. I observed her being helpful with many people today.
9) Shotgun ranges only with Slugs, no Shot.
10) It's busy
11) Not many "stores" in the immediate vacinity. Get your food, water and ammo before you get there.
[/quote]

Reminds me of Hawaii. Gag.
Guest AmericanWorkMule
If you have to go to a range, it is better to be at a safe place like this than be shot and killed by a newbie or an experienced idiot like in Cheatham County

[quote name='Nashville Slim' timestamp='1353854708' post='850403']
On the other hand; If this range were a private business, it would be out of business in a matter of weeks. The "Customer" experience was pretty awful.
[/quote] Edited by AmericanWorkMule
[quote name='AmericanWorkMule' timestamp='1353860395' post='850439']
If you have to go to a range, it is better to be at a safe place like this than be shot and killed by a newbie or an experienced idiot like in Cheatham County
[/quote]

It would be bad politics to have a shooting there. It's a Hunter Education Center as well. The strict rules there can be a pain in the butt. I DO understand why they have them. It's not the only place I shoot. It's the only one that's a five minute drive.

[quote name='RobertNashville' timestamp='1353862081' post='850448']

I guess I'm also unsure of the purpose for the thread in the first place???? :shrug:
[/quote]

Yeah. Doesn't look like it has the potential to overtake the mother of all Stones River bitch threads :)... the one where Tim showed up and explained why all the rules are there in the first place. They put more lead in the berms than any other range in the state with an all volunteer staff, and nobody gets shot (usually).

• Like 1
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1353856701' post='850415']

A few more facts...

Stone's River is the busiest range in the state, and gets lots of newbies, doing lots of stupid stuff.

I'm on my third annual membership there. If it was a private business, they could pay a staff, and maybe even open the 50 yard range. I almost always go on Fridays, and have had quite a bit of time to talk to some of the RSO's. That place gets insane on Saturdays and Sundays because of the large volume of shooters. With all that insanity, they manage to keep the place pretty safe.
[/quote]

Ditto been an annual member for 2 yrs now and I have always found the RSO' s to be helpful and that includes the female RSO in
question. Great place to go especially for new shooters and gangster wannabe's .
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1353856701' post='850415']
A few more facts...

[/quote]

Would have to disagree there. Montgomery shooting complex is a hands down better facility than Stone's River.
[quote name='AmericanWorkMule' timestamp='1353860395' post='850439']
[/quote]

It's funny you mention that. I was just at a local range last weekend and I was out changing my target at the rifle range when some kid started shooting. I didn't even KNOW until I came back to the bench and the father started apologizing profusely. I wasn't even angry but now my girlfriend won't let me go shooting there anymore. Too bad she can't stop me, lol.

Not very long after this I was sitting down at the bench zeroing my new hunting rifle when these two guys took, of ALL the open benches, the one on my left. I didn't let that bother me until I nearly went deaf when this.... person.... started popping off rounds RIGHT next to my ear with his AK pistol and nailing me with his brass. He was so close I didn't dare move until he stopped shooting (YES, THAT FKN CLOSE). His muzzle was literally one inch forward on the line in front of my head and one foot to the side. Some people are EXTREMELY inconsiderate (or perhaps his way of showing off his new AK).

It was an awful day.

[u][b]Word of advise: Take your ear plugs out if you're downrange and make sure parents are watching their kids.[/b][/u] Edited by Daniel
[quote name='Tempest455' timestamp='1353869782' post='850487']
Would have to disagree there. Montgomery shooting complex is a hands down better facility than Stone's River.
[/quote]

I love Southside, but...

Fixed target stands. You have to change lanes if you wanna shoot at a different range.
If it rains, you're screwed. Stones River has concrete walkways, and the rest is gravel.
MUCH better shooting benches at Stones River.
Sound absorbing material at Stones River. Doesn't ring your ears as much.

With all that said, I would rather shoot at Southside if it wasn't a gazillion miles away. I like being able to pull my truck up to the firing line. I can make it to Gallatin Gun Club in less time.
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1353870659' post='850493']
I love Southside, but...

Fixed target stands. You have to change lanes if you wanna shoot at a different range.
If it rains, you're screwed. Stones River has concrete walkways, and the rest is gravel.
MUCH better shooting benches at Stones River.
Sound absorbing material at Stones River. Doesn't ring your ears as much.

With all that said, I would rather shoot at Southside if it wasn't a gazillion miles away. I like being able to pull my truck up to the firing line. I can make it to Gallatin Gun Club in less time.
[/quote]

I guess I'm speaking specifically about the 400 yard range. You are correct, the 100 yard sucks. However, the 400 yard benches are great and so is the concrete if you want to shoot prone.

Not sure what you mean about rain at MGSC?
  • Like 1
[quote name='Tempest455' timestamp='1353874290' post='850511']
I guess I'm speaking specifically about the 400 yard range. You are correct, the 100 yard sucks. However, the 400 yard benches are great and so is the concrete if you want to shoot prone.

Not sure what you mean about rain at MGSC?
[/quote]

I haven't shot the 400 yet. Stones river is all concrete and gravel. No mud. Probably not a big deal with the 400, since I won't be walking to a 400 yard target.
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1353874600' post='850514']
I haven't shot the 400 yet. Stones river is all concrete and gravel. No mud. Probably not a big deal with the 400, since I won't be walking to a 400 yard target.
[/quote]

You don't walk, they provide a golf cart.
[quote name='Tempest455' timestamp='1353884632' post='850564']
You don't walk, they provide a golf cart.
[/quote]

I, WON'T walk. 100 yards is it for me. I figured they either provided something, or you use your own vehicle. Same deal as stones river with the 200 yard targets. Golf cart.
Where do I start with this? For those of you that don't know, I am the manager at Stones River Hunter Education Center. I will try to keep my personal opinions about this type of thread to myself and just state facts.

Lets start out with numbers. Stones River Range is only open Friday, Saturday and a half day on Sunday. In 2011 we had 15,992 shooters use this facility. That is an increase of 12.5% from 2010. 2010 was up 12.5% from 2009.

How do these numbers compare to other ranges in the area? Cheatham Range has about 2500 shooters a year and opens every day at noon till sunset. Montgomery Co. Shooting Complex has about 5000 shooters per year and are open the same days as Stones River. John Sevier in Knoxville has about 4500 shooters per year and are open more than Stones River. Bartlett Range has about 2200 shooters per year and is open more than Stones River. Add all those up and Stones River is busier than all of them put together.

What about safety? I challenge every person that reads this to go to what ever range you go to and just sit down and watch what everyone else is doing. Without a doubt you will see someone do something that is unsafe. Stones River has been open for nine years and we have had one person seriously injured and that person shot theirself. I HATE RULES. I HATE ENFORCING RULES. I wish I could tell everyone to goto the range and just use common sense. But common sense is very uncommon. Therefore to be fair to everyone I enforce all the rules here equally to everyone. Whether it is me or an RSO the rules are enforced. I think what we are doing here is working. We have an increasing number of people including women and children using this range. That is because they feel safe here. A range without rules is a range doomed to fail. It is only a matter of time. Look at Cheatham, no supervsion and a thirteen year old boy is shot. It took twenty years but it happened. How many close calls do you think have happened there before this?

Let me go through Nashville Slim's important details as he calls it.
1) We only take cash or check no cards. This is true. We check in a person to goto the range about every 70 seconds. Sometimes we do it faster. We have the ability to take cards but it is so hard to do and time consuming. This is what happens when you put government in charge of something. Private business has had this figured out for years. So we don't take cards. Again, look at the numbers I think what we are doing is working.
2) We do not sell ammo. It is not the range's intent to compete with local business. We send alot of people to the local gun stores to buy ammo. We do sell two very simple targets just for those that come to the range and don't bring their own. We do this as a courtesy to the shooters. It is not our intent to make money on targets.
3) We do not rent guns. The state considers guns to be a very sensitive item and they don't want to rent guns. Again support local businesses and buy a gun. Everybody needs one, two or ten.
4) We do inspect every weapon every time to make sure the gun is unloaded and the barrel is clear. If TSA stopped checking bags and a bomb blew up an airplane people would want TSA back checking bags. Why do you complain about us checking guns? We have found dirt dobber nests, plastic bullets, muzzleloaders that have already been double charged, etc, etc, etc in guns. These guns are nothing more than a bomb that is going to blow on the range. This is why we check guns. We do require guns to be in a case but you can have as many guns in a case as the case will hold.
5) We do no allow concealed carry on the range. We do not allow shooters to draw from a holster on the range. Why you ask? Would you like to be in the lane beside someone doing double cross draws from shoulder houlsters? Or someone trying to get a .38 special out of their wasteband without sweeping the line? I can go on and on here. NO CONCEALED WEAPONS.
6) We allow you to have water on the line. We are in TN where the summer heat and humidity is miserable. You need something to drink then. EPA doesn't want any food, drink or tobacco on gun ranges because of the possibility of lead ingestion. We allow water against EPA rules. We don't allow sugar drinks on the range because I don't want to clean up the mess when you spill it.
7) We only allow one target per lane on the pistol range. The rifle range can have multiple. The reason for this is simple. If you post a taget off to the side of the provided backing and place your target at 5 yards and the person in the lane next to you has his target at 17 yards you will shoot thru your target and hit his. I know this has boogled some of your minds but that is the way the angles work. We only use push pins( we provide them for you) at Stones River because the shooter has to pickup their taget frame and move it to change the distance they are shooting. If we allowed staple guns the frames would get full of staples and they would cut the shooters hands up. This rule is to protect the shooters.
8) We need volunteers. You think you can do better come and help out. Otherwise don't complain about how someone else who is volunteering their time so you have a place to a safe place to shoot treats someone who is complaining about everything.
9) This is a rifle and pistol range not a shotgun range. If you want to shoot a shotgun here, bring slugs.
10) Yes we are extremely busy, just look at the numbers. To date our one day record is 216 shooters in one day. We have had as many as 502 shooters in one 3 day weekend. An average weekend is 325 shooters.
11) We are located 8 miles from Mt. Juliet, 4 miles from Lavergne and 6 miles from Hickory Hollow. There are two Academy Sports, Dicks sporting goods, at least three privately own gun stores and a WalMart store with 8 miles of the range. I can't tell you how many restraunts are in that area. Too many to count. I guess some people just can't be pleased.

I have a suggestion for anyone that does not like the rules at Stones River, go somewhere else. Go to Cheatham range. There are no RSOs and you can shoot while people are down range and they can shoot while you are down range. Better yet, buy you some land and build your own range then you can do whatever you want. Just look at the next thread about Royal Blue range. Every rule we have is for a reason, to keep you safe while you are here. Do you want this range to close? Why can't you be appreciative in the fact that a state agency has seen the need for people to have a safe place to shoot and that it is provided to you for a minimal fee and there are people willing to volunteer their time to keep you safe?

I am at Stones River Range most everyday it is open. I will be glad to talk in person to anyone about this range. I have been here for eight years. I have attended the NRA range school and consider myself to be one of the most knowledgeable people in the state on gun ranges. If you have a suggestion come see me but don't think you can just make a statement and walk away. Be prepared to give facts for your comments and be prepared and open to what I have to say in return. Don't leave here and hide behind a computer to make critical comments. We are always open to suggestions.

@ mikegideon Please stop in sometime and introduce yourself. I would like to meet you.

@ JWC It has been discussed to give people that buy hunting and fishing licenses a break on range fees. But the idea behind that is to get more people to buy licenses to increase revenue. I agree with you.

Hope this helps clear up so many misconceptions.
SRHECMANAGER
  • Like 6
Nice to have you and hear from "the other side' I do have to agree with a few of the gripes though. I've been there several times and some of your RSO, unpaid or not have serious issues dealing with the public. Some of them are great. I've had some that were very helpful....then I've had some that had no business being around another human being. if they don't like what they're doing perhaps there is another position they can help out with that doesn't involve dealing with the public.
  • Moderators
My wife and I have been to Stones River a couple times when we have visited the Nashville area. We have enjoyed it every time. We had no issues with the rules or the staff.

Quite simply I think a lot of y'all in middle TN are spoiled and unappreciative of what y'all have. Come out Memphis way and see what it is like to not have anywhere to shoot rifles or outdoors at all unless you have land or join a very pricey private club. I would love it If we had a range like Stones River in the Memphis area.
[quote name='Chucktshoes' timestamp='1354490174' post='853937']
My wife and I have been to Stones River a couple times when we have visited the Nashville area. We have enjoyed it every time. We had no issues with the rules or the staff.

Quite simply I think a lot of y'all in middle TN are spoiled and unappreciative of what y'all have. Come out Memphis way and see what it is like to not have anywhere to shoot rifles or outdoors at all unless you have land or join a very pricey private cAgreed!lub. I would love it If we had a range like Stones River in the Memphis area.
[/quote]I said "Agreed!". For some reason it did not display the first time. Edited by mcurrier
Well I was at this range back in June/July and it was hot!! I am a big guy and the heat tends to get to me. The RSO(a lady). Checked on me every so often to see if I felt ok. And gave me a bottle of water.. I don’t know her name, but it was very nice of her.

Another time I messed up my AR (it was my fault) and the RSO’s helped me out with it. They did not have to, but they did.. So again another thanks to them.

I could go out in the woods and shoot.. But it never is a good idea to go alone. I find myself having to go alone due to my work schedule. So, it is nice to shoot somewhere that if something did happen, they could help you out if you were in trouble.. Matter a fact that hot day that I was talking about, someone I think had heat stroke and the range folks called the EMS.. if this guy had been out somewhere by himself…well you get the idea..

And I know that sometimes some of the older guys that work at the range seem to be crabby and mean.. But I believe that these guys take safety as the number one priority and sometimes you have to be stern to get your point across..