Looking at the Glock 23. Like / Dislikes please?

Newman

Truly enjoy my XDS but interested in the G23 .40 cal.

I have shot the .40 about 25 rounds or so but would like to hear Glock users thoughts including likes and dislikes.

I do like having a full finger grip and the more rounds. Just need some additional assistance with you guys that have has more time with the Glock and the .40

Thanks

Newman Edited by Newman
I have a G23, I love it. I've never had a single problem with it yet.
It is more accurate than I am at the moment. It has ate any ammo I've put through it. Although I've NEVER shot steel case in it.
It's easy to disassemble and clean and put back together. If you plan to shoot lead through a Glock you will need to change the barrel,
as the stock Glock barrel is not suited well to shoot lead. You can also change the barrel in the 40 cal Glock to shoot 357 Sig and even 9mm.
Seeing haow they have made MILLIONS of them, I say parts are going to be available for them for just about ever.

The down side to the G23? Well it cost more to shoot than 9mm.

I say get it, I don't think you will regret it.
I also am not a .40 fan. Fine round and has a place but it is a compromise. It does some of what a 9mm does but not the best parts. Some of what the .45 does but not the best parts. All that and it comes at the cost of less rounds, more cost, more recoil, and less inherent accuracy of the 9mm. If I want small and fast - 9mm. If I want heavy and limited capacity - .45

That being said I think the G19 is about as perfect a sized gun there is. It's compact enough to carry easy, yet large enough to shoot like a full size and in a 9mm you are still getting 15 rnds.

Just my .02 Edited by AK Guy
  • Like 1
Guest rebeldrummer
It's a great gun. Size wise, the 19 and 23 are the same so that's not something to consider.

AK guy is right however in regards to it being a compromise.
However sometimes that is not always bad. ... it really all depends on what you prefer

Shoot one. Feel the recoil. Decide yourself.
Guest hi im drummer03
[quote name='Newman' timestamp='1353987536' post='851142']
Yes I would go between an Xds and the 23 for my edc
[/quote]

First i would give you a heads up on the size difference carrying.I have a Shield and a Glock 27.The Glock 27 i have nice holsters and Shield a cheap holster.Although when i carry my 27 its bulky and big compared to the smaller Shield (XDs as well).So i would cautious you in the size difference.

I have had each compact and sub 9mm and .40 in Glocks.(19,26,23,27) The jump between the 19 and 23 is noticeable.Its like that anytime you compare a 9mm and 40,so its typical comparison.

Heres my Pros and Cons of 23.

Pros: Simple design like other Glocks.
Low maintenance
Interchangeable parts
Convert to 357 or 9mm with other barrels

Cons:You can make this smaller as a 27 you can make bigger
Not as aggressive grip as your XDs
Overwhelming feel compared to other Compacts and subcompact
Harder to conceal compared to others
My only Glock is a 23 and it's also my only .40. I initially had no interest in Glocks or .40s, and then I shot my friend's G22 and I couldn't believe how comfortable it was to shoot, and of course it was also very accurate. Next thing I knew I was standing in my favorite LGS one day when a guy traded in an almost new G23 gen 4, and I was able to get it for a very good price. It's not quite as smooth a shooter as the G22, but I like it. I recently picked up a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for it but haven't had a chance to try it...figured that was a lot cheaper than getting a G19 and allows me to shoot lead if I want to.
Have a glock 23 ( still) was my first handgun on advice i recieved from a Tullahoma PD officer. Still like shooting it. Luckily i stocked up on ammo when i first got it. It's harder to conceal i agree, but a dependable gun. I use mine mainly as a winter carry and when out on the atv, Keepmy shield 9mm as my EDC and as a back-up pistol.

Have 2 13 round magazines, and one 22 round magazine ( i got tired of reloading all the time at the range).

If you find a good deal on one, get it. Never hurts to have another caliber. But it costs more to shoot than a 9mm.
  • Like 2
I own a 23,cant go wrong
but when comparing Glock to other brands adding in night sights and
maybe the 3.5# trigger bar which IMO are all much needed add ons for a Glock
so now your in the 650-700 dollar zone and in that price range you now IMO have to consider
SIG and a few other hand guns... Edited by SonnyCrockett
I owned a 2[sup]nd[/sup] gen G-23 for many years, carried it on and off duty with no problems at all but didn’t think to highly of it. The size difference between the G-22, G-23 and G-27 convinced me to purchase a G-22 and G-27 with the G-23 becoming a safe queen. The G-23 is a good pistol and will serve you well if that’s your end decision but as a recommendation I would suggest the G-19 or G-36.

Most people going from a Glock to an XD are typically very happy with their decision from what I've heard. I'm afraid going the other way may not be to your liking.

As far as the Glock 23, it is exactly the same as all other glocks. This model simply designates .40 cal in a compact frame. So if youre looking for a Glock that is a compact .40 then that is the one for you.

Top to bottom: Full size, compact, and sub-compact.
[img]http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz31/EdgecrusherXES/Glock%20Info/glock_17_19_26.jpg[/img]

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting a larger caliber than 9mm in a compact frame. .40 cal is hard to hold onto and I would ONLY get it in a full size frame (which also helps handle recoil besides giving you more to hang onto). Full size guns are easy to carry now days with the availability of holsters made by Crossbreed, Galco, and the like so do not let that scare you into thinking that you [u]must[/u] have a compact gun.

Make sure you rent out the Glock 23 at a local range to see if you like it before you buy it. There are many options out there that I personally would... consider... first. Such as... anything but a Block. ^_^

• Like 1
I own a 23 and a 27. I'm not a really big guy and I didn't carry the 23 very much at all the first few years that I had it, matter of fact I didn't like carrying it and that is why I bought the 27. A good holster and belt solved that problem. I open carry at work in the summer, I'm standing and sitting about 50/50 and moving around quite a bit. The 23 is comfortable for me to carry all day. The 27 I forget is even there. I can comfortably conceal the 23 in public this time of year under a light jacket. In the summer I'll just tuck it under my Tshirt if I'm going into a store or something, a close look would get me made but most folks probably never notice.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest D.B. Cooper
I own a G22 and love it. It's my bedside gun. I've been considering a G23 or G27 for carry for a while and waffle back and forth between the two. Any pros and cons between the two? (The fact that it's a Glock is neither a pro or a con, so let's not get into that).
  • 3 weeks later...

I own a Glock 23 Gen3 RTF2 with Truglo ns and 3 mags. I also have a 357 Sig Lone Wolf barrel. I have a Model 33 Gen3 in 357 Sig and have a 9mm Lone Wolf barrel. So between these two guns I can shoot 3 calibers. One could get 9mm barrel for the Glock 23 and be able to shoot 2 calibers. The Glock 23 gives you more options than the Glock 19. You will need a Glock 19 mag. The Glock 23 will hold 9mm rds but tends to misfeed last 9mm rd in 40 mag.