more fuel efficient car

looking for some suggestions guys. i need a more fuel efficient car, i currently have a 01 silverado and get about 15-17mpg gotta be better than that. i need something that can get at least 25mpg on the highway, preferrably more but at least 25mpg. must have some get up and go, enough for some passing power, would be nice if it had the capability to hit high 13s in the 1/4 and would be nice if it had an aftermarket to support it performance wise. probably looking for a v6 or 4cyl. def. auto trans. also it has to look nice. suggestions? needs to be about $10k or less

looking at

buick regal gs or gsx

pontiac grand am

pontiac grand prix or gtp

chevy impala

chevy monte carlo

chevy cavalier

chevy cobaltLS

VW jetta

honda civic

honda accord

BMW 3-series or 5-series

any other suggestions?

Edited by nightrunner
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a '97 gtp and like it pretty well. The wife drives it (mostly interstate) and gets around 26-7 mpg. Paid around 3k for but had add almost another grand when I first got it (tires, wheel bearings, alignment, ect.) It is fun to drive but the quality is not quite what I thought it should be.

Guest betobeto

buick regal gs or gsx

pontiac grand am

pontiac grand prix or gtp

chevy impala

chevy monte carlo

chevy cavalier piece of crap

chevy cobaltLS Pie

VW jetta

honda civic

any other suggestions?

If you want a Truck buy a GM make. When looking for a car and going american made go with Ford. Please don't get a Jetta they are pieces of crap and very exspensive to fix. Honda is a good car but not cheap to work on either.BMW LOL wait til something goes bad. You won't be able to fix it$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I personaly think your best bet is a Ford Focus. There are pleanty of them so parts are cheap. Not a GM made car and they get 30 mpg+

My two cents

Guest Verbal Kint
BMW LOL wait til something goes bad. You won't be able to fix it$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No offense, but are you talking from your butt or personal experience?

I've owned 3 late-80's / early 90's BMWs (both 3- and 5- series cars), and have had no issue with maintenance. During that same time, my father has owned another 4 of the same model BMWs.

The parts were/are readily available, and do not cost near as much as the the uninformed may believe. You can find cheap parts to replace most "major" issues at any salvage yard, and Autozone carries all the minor fixes. The up-keep on a BMW is no different than that of your chevy, ford, GM cars... when you use common sense and don't go running to the stealership everytime something goes wrong.

BMWs are built rock solid. The engines last forever in those cars, and the overall quality is very good. I'd buy a BMW before I ever owned another Ford again, and I'm a huge mustang fan!

Guest VandyZ

I got my mother a Nissan Versa, and have yet to see under 30 mpg. It has tons of features, well made, nice driving, lots of room. Really I couldnt find a new car for under 16 grand that even comes close to all this. It had a funny look / clown car appearance at first, but it has really grown on me. Very satisfied.

Guest canynracer

Go with the Civic, not only efficient, but 500,000 miles.....

or as Verbal stated, a an older 3 series. Maintenance is not bad at all, I used to specialize in them, keep the oil changed, and normal12-15k tuneups, it is bulletproof.

Guest tlondon

I have a '05 Honda Civic and commute 80 miles one way (160 round trip) 5 days a week. (clarksville to murfreesboro) I get about 36 to 38 miles to the gallon. does me fine on passing and merging and stuff like that.

i dont not want a truck unless i can get a gm and get 25+mpg, not likely

there are no ford cars or dodge cars that i like, so they are out. i am primarily a gm guy but i am willing to consider others.

nissan doesnt really have anything that interests me, nor toyota.

and as far as hondas being hard/expensive to work on, i know better, at least on the mechanical aspect for civics, when i was in high school a couple of years ago, i witnessed several motor swaps and a couple of motor builds for those cars, not hard to work on.

Hm... sounds like your mind is already made up.

Get a Corvette. My dad has an '02 and he gets 26-27 city and over 30 highway. At 80 mph the engine is turning over something like 1400 RPM. How much are C4s going for these days?

i dont like C4s really dont like the TBI or crossfire injection that they have. i would def. take a C5 though. but i dont think the insurance companies would be too nice to me on a vette for a 20yr. old kid.

just wanting some other suggestions of maybe a car that i dont know of or have forgotten about that gets good gas mileage and looks decent and has a little pep

hi,

i vote another 'thumbs up' on the bmw 3 series from about '96 up.

good performance and gas mileage[25/ 27 mpg]. and lots of classic styling and comfort.

also, you won't see yourself coming and going on every street corner.

take one for a test ride before you count it out.

some of the late 80's / early 90's vettes are a good buy also if you're into the ego trip and don't mind riding on a 'buckboard'.

just my opinion ----- good luck with your decision.

bob

Guest TNDixieGirl

If you like Honda's, try the Accord as well. It has everything you described in your first post, but a sportier look than it's baby sister (although she gets better mileage). Keep the oil changed and regular maintenance, and you'll have it forever. I've bought nothing but used Accords for the last few cars and then trade up for a newer model every so often. 265,000+ miles on the last trade-in.

pennyscar1.jpg

Are you trading your truck for it? Do you have enough value in the truck to cover the diff ( I assume it's paid off, but you never know)? If you are paying cash, you'd have to go many, many, many thousands of miles at 15-17MPG to make the diff.

Just something to think about.

Guest sling
If you like Honda's, try the Accord as well. It has everything you described in your first post, but a sportier look than it's baby sister (although she gets better mileage). Keep the oil changed and regular maintenance, and you'll have it forever. I've bought nothing but used Accords for the last few cars and then trade up for a newer model every so often. 265,000+ miles on the last trade-in.

+1 :panic:

I love my 05 Civic. Cheap to replace parts. Like dixie said, treat her good and she'll love you forever. :rofl:

Guest canynracer

I just traded a 95 accord White, 2door, that had 480,000 miles on it.... I got 360 miles on a full tank, 350miles if I drove a little faster (most of the time)

it was still running like a top, everything worked. just wanted a change

Guest nraforlife
How 'bout one of these? I saw it on the 6 o'clock news. It's pretty awsome. I was a bit shocked to learn the price was $33,000. That seems about twice as much as they should be selling for. The local dealer can't keep them in stock, and has a waiting list of 15-20 people.

http://www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com/

16k max

Take a look at the Pontiac Sunfire if you're not against a 2 door. Mine gets about 33 MPG highway and high 20's city. It's got enough pep to move you around. Sure you could find a slightly used one if not a new one for around 10-12K

def. not against a 2door. see cavalier on OP

My wife's 02 Grand Am gets around 30 mpg. It has a 2.2 Ecotec 4 cyl. We have had a lot of problems wth it though. just last year her timimg chain broke, and we paid $2,900 for repairs (Used Ecotec engine 24,000 miles on it, and the labor). I have had to replace the brake calibers on the front, the driver side window assembly, the theft system installed in the car is now acting up, and a few other small things.

I would not reccomend one of these to anyone.