Is this poaching?

On my way home, I spotted a deer on the side of the road. I slowed down to see it ans saw that the antlers had been taken as well as the backstraps. Nothing else was taken and the deer was half wrapped in plastic and had been dumped. I hate to see something like this. I support hunting, but not like that. I wonder if I should contact TWRA. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?
Could be poaching but someone could have just cut the back straps and head off then dumped the carcass. I see it all the time and makes me sick. I always take as much meat as I can from the harvest. Might sound weird but I feel like I owe it to the animal not to waste it.
  • Like 5
Guest rebeldrummer
[quote name='Hunting101' timestamp='1354055300' post='851568']
Could be poaching but someone could have just cut the back straps and head off then dumped the carcass. I see it all the time and makes me sick. I always take as much meat as I can from the harvest. Might sound weird but I feel like I owe it to the animal not to waste it.
[/quote]

not weird at all....pretty normal IMHO.

OP...I would contact TWRA.
[quote name='Slappy' timestamp='1354055264' post='851567']
I would notify the TWRA for sure. That's not normal.
[/quote]

Unfortunately it is becoming normal. I'm seeing a lot of hunters who have no idea what the values of hunting mean. I seen 5 deer dumped on a dead end street. Back straps and antlers cut off. The rest thrown as close to the woods as they could get them. No respect in my opinion. I would contact the TWRA anyway. Edited by Hunting101
When I lived in Utah, there was a rash of illegal back strap harvesting from deer that were hit by cars. I had a friend who was guilty of it and he was lucky to never have been caught. Hefty fine and all...

I'm always suspicious of harvested carcasses that close to the road.
Tn does have a wonton waste law. OP, is there any chance that the backstraps and antlers could have been harvested from a roadkill deer? Personally I see nothing wrong with harvesting just the backstraps from a roadkill. At that point it is going to rot anyway. If someone can get a few meals off of it then why not. I would probably take the backstraps off of a roadkill if I didn't have the desire to process the whole deer. However, I would never shoot a deer without the intent to use all of it that I reasonably could.
There was 20 plus deer laying in this little area of the parking lot at Barkley WMA. This picture only shows a small portion of the pile. Discusting! I'll catch them...just a matter of time!

[img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/dsayre/deerpile2-1.jpg[/img]

Dave S
[quote name='Glenn' timestamp='1354136954' post='852060']
I am pretty sure it is illegal to harvest a roadkill deer without permission from the TWRA. At least thats what they told me.
[/quote]

Well sort of you just have to notify them within 48 hours of picking it up, I also believe that you can simply notify the sheriffs dept instead of TWRA if you like.

[quote] [url="http://michie.lexisnexis.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp="]TCA 70-4-115[/url] [b](c) [/b]Motorists are not required to report game accidentally killed by the operation of a motor vehicle. Notwithstanding any other provision of the law to the contrary, wild animals accidentally killed by a motor vehicle may be possessed by any person for personal use and consumption; except that, first, personal possession of a deer accidentally killed by a motor vehicle is permitted only if the person notifies the wildlife resources agency or any law enforcement officer within a reasonable time not to exceed forty-eight (48) hours and supplies that person's name and address; and second, personal possession of a bear accidentally killed by a motor vehicle is permitted only when authorized by an enforcement officer of the wildlife resources agency and the person is issued a kill tag. In deer-kill notification situations where a law enforcement officer rather than someone with the wildlife resources agency is notified, the law enforcement officer or the officer's designee shall be responsible for notifying someone with the wildlife resources agency and supplying the information relevant to the deer-kill. [/quote]
[quote name='10-Ring' timestamp='1354204325' post='852422']

Well sort of you just have to notify them within 48 hours of picking it up, I also believe that you can simply notify the sheriffs dept instead of TWRA if you like.[/quote]

Yeah. My daughter hit one on 11-1 and I called the sheriffs dept and they sent me to THP due to location and they said a call and report was all that was required and they would report to TWRA.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone
[quote name='Glenn' timestamp='1354136954' post='852060']
I am pretty sure it is illegal to harvest a roadkill deer without permission from the TWRA. At least thats what they told me.
[/quote]

Well, sort of. You don't need permission first but are supposed to notify TWRA or a LEO in case of a deer. Bear requires actual kill tag.

TN is very progressive, what with it's own roadkill law, the subject of much hooting in the press when it was enacted in late 90s.

---------------------------
[b]70-4-115. Destruction and disposal of wildlife -- Permit -- Penalty.[/b]

"Motorists are not required to report game accidentally killed by the operation of a motor vehicle. Notwithstanding any other provision of the law to the contrary, wild animals accidentally killed by a motor vehicle may be possessed by any person for personal use and consumption; except that, first, personal possession of a deer accidentally killed by a motor vehicle is permitted only if the person notifies the wildlife resources agency or any law enforcement officer within a reasonable time not to exceed forty-eight (48) hours and supplies that person's name and address; and second, personal possession of a bear accidentally killed by a motor vehicle is permitted only when authorized by an enforcement officer of the wildlife resources agency and the person is issued a kill tag. In deer-kill notification situations where a law enforcement officer rather than someone with the wildlife resources agency is notified, the law enforcement officer or the officer's designee shall be responsible for notifying someone with the wildlife resources agency and supplying the information relevant to the deer-kill. Nothing in this section authorizes possession of federally protected wildlife or wildlife protected by the state under chapter 8 of this title."
------------------

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot
Good to know. I called TWRA several months ago to ask about shooting a deer that was seriously injured by a car. The woman I talked to (the next day when it was too late) said I could shoot the deer if it didn't violate any laws against discharging a firearm, but could not take possession of the deer without TWRA permission.

ps: i didn't want possession since the deer had obviously been injured for quite some time. Edited by Glenn