Driving habits

daddyo

What is it with people who can't drive at a steady speed or judge the speed of the person in front of them? I get so tired of goobers who make bad traffic worse by tailgating and then having to slam on the brakes, causing a chain reaction because the person following them is also too close, which disrupts the flow of traffic.

And what is up with people who speed up when you are passing them?? :rant:

• Like 3
My wife always says I drive like a grandpa. I know some of you on here are grandfathers, so please don't take offense. I will preface this by saying that I have not been one much for speeding, but I have found the best way to have hassle free interstate driving. I just set my cruise about 3-4 mph below the speed limit and park it in the right lane. I rarely have to pass, and I just let all the people in a hurry, blast around me on the left. It makes things a breeze when you don't have to worry about merging in and out with people at different speeds.
  • Like 2
For many years, I rode a motorcycle. The defensive driving that is learned driving a motorcycle anticpating what someone might do, can do, etc. carries over to driving a vehicle. I can never control the other guy, but I sure can anticipate what they might do, can do, and try to position myself in such a manner to avoid the situation. Main thing is to stay cool, and never pull a gun on someone and shoot at them just to get them to move over, espeiclaly if they are woman, and her husband is a LEO in a car behind her. Where did I hear that story from??? Edited by Runco
[quote name='dats82' timestamp='1354064093' post='851660']
My wife always says I drive like a grandpa. I know some of you on here are grandfathers, so please don't take offense. I will preface this by saying that I have not been one much for speeding, but I have found the best way to have hassle free interstate driving. I just set my cruise about 3-4 mph below the speed limit and park it in the right lane. I rarely have to pass, and I just let all the people in a hurry, blast around me on the left. It makes things a breeze when you don't have to worry about merging in and out with people at different speeds.
[/quote]When I have the brood with me, that is how I do it.

I don't need cruise though. I am one of those rare folks that can pick a speed and stick to it. Which is nice since my daily doesn't have cruise. And I don't have patience.
I used to get all bent outta shape over it. Now I just pick a speed and drive it. If I get tailgated I just slow down. Sooner or later they'll take a hint. I had a guy riding my but on 96 last weekend on my way to Franklin. I slowed down to about 35 and he finally passed me. Funny, I eased right beside and turned right on downs blvd as he was stuck at the light. Idiot.
As a local truck driver, I've had to deal with traffic all day, everyday for many years. I'm not going to say that I don't get irritated from time to time, but I've learned to deal with it much better. I find that if I take my time, my stress level stays way down. But if I find myself getting in a hurry, that's when I tend to become more agitated.

With that being said, I'm always annoyed when I'm merging onto 24 east from 40 east in the morning, and the idiots fly up the left lane, only to slam on their brakes in front of you so they jump into the right lane for 440. I can never get used to that one.
  • Like 1
For me, your driving habits are an indicator of your intelligence level.

Left laners are certainly irritating and apparently totally clueless.

And it's also very clear that many drivers have no idea how to operate a turn signal. Unfortunately, from my observations, that includes many law enforcement vehicles that I would expect to set a good example on our roadways. I respect them for what they do for us but, c'mon man, is it that difficult to flip that lever and maintain a higher standard than the general public?

And cell phones while driving? Not much disturbs me more on the roadway than to see a vehicle that's all over the road only to discover someone driving with a cell phone in one hand and a cigarette in the other with young children in the vehicle. It's a sad thing when a phone call and a smoke are more important than the safety of your children.

I hate to rant but I've lost friends and family to drivers not following the rules of the road, including my 10 year old grandson killed by a tailgating 18 wheeler just last year. The driver was on a cell phone. This is a topic I'm very passionate about and I hope I've not offended anyone. Please be safe out there.

[quote name='DaddyO' timestamp='1354062615' post='851647']And what is up with people who speed up when you are passing them?? :rant:[/quote]

My wife and I always chuckle when that happens... It's a universal human truth - "Nobody likes to be passed." Irritating on the road, but hilarious how true it is.

Honestly, I don't care who I offend. If one if the things I mention happens to fit you, then you need to learn how to drive.

If you can't keep your vehicle from randomly crossing the center line, you're a moron.

If you tailgate me when I'm not the one slowing traffic, you're a moron.

If you tailgate me just because you're too dense to get in the left lane and pass me, you're a moron.

If you hang out in the left lane right beside someone who is in the right lane, you're a moron.

If you pass me in the left lane and dart in front of me when it would have been easier for both of us if you had just gotten in behind me, you're a moron.

If you make a left turn from the right lane (or primary lane, when there is a turn lane), you're a moron. Same goes for right turns from the left.

I've only scratched the surface of the idiocy that I see on the road.

We on this forum constantly harp and chide others for doing stupid things with firearms, and rightly so. But far too often poor, dangerous driving just elicits a "meh". I speak of the public in general and not necessarily here. But cars carry far more killing potential than do even the most powerful firearms.

Put it this way... If a cop spots me carrying a gun in my hand while I'm strolling down the sidewalk in town, he's going to at least stop and see what I'm up to. However, if he spots someone 5 feet from my bumper on I-40 at 60 mph, chances are he'll ignore it. Speeding, on the other hand, which isn't necessarily dangerous in and of itself, is often grounds for a blue light.

Society tends to dismiss road deaths as the "cost of doing business". Or lawmakers try to idiot-proof vehicles instead of taking the idiots out of them. We wouldn't even need to wear seatbelts if everyone would just drive like they have half a brain.

Can you tell this a sore subject for me?
  • Like 2
Well I like the left lane. That said I move over if some one is coming up behind me. I also drive the speed limit. Except for interstates, then I set the cruise for about 67. Why the odd number? Well in my truck I've found that is the point where I get the best mileage. I don't flip people off, and if I mess up and cut someone off I wave and say I'm sorry. What gets me is driving in Knoxville you dumb asses that want to run 75 in a 55, and then get bent out of shape when they are forced to slow down because someone is driving the speed limit.

And what's up with the dumb asses that won't change lanes when they see a lane closure sign. Heck if you get over at the first chance the traffic won't bottle neck as bad. Edited by dralarms
The traffic laws in this country have been dumbed down in order to accommodate the lowest common denominator. Instead of making people learn how to drive before they get a license we just make sure that the rules are really easy to follow. Apparently society thinks that everyone should be able to drive, driving is a skill and not everyone posses that skill. I spend a lot of time driving in Knoxville and Nashville. Growing up in Nashville I have noticed that Nashville traffic has gotten much worse in the past few years, it is much more congested and drivers are much more congested. I'll take Knoxville traffic over Nashville traffic any day, Knoxville traffic may be fast but at least it moves. I personally do about 9 over everywhere I go and would go a lot faster than that if I could get away with it. I use cruise control if I'm driving something that is equipped and if not I have no issues maintaining constant speed, because that was one of my dad's pet peeves that I picked up when he taught me how to drive. I can't stand that guy that passes me 8 times on my Knoxville to Nashville trip and it gets me even more when he gets in front of me and slows down, I have noticed that 9 times out of 10 that person will be on a cell phone.
And the times you're driving down the freeway in the right lane, going the speed limit or no more than 5 over, some idiot has to pass you then slow down right before exiting the interstate. Like it wouldn't have hurt him/her to wait a few seconds.

As for merging traffic when there's a lane closure. A few weeks ago a friend and i were headed down to Cullman Alabama for an atv trip, when ALDOT is repaving the 565 past Huntsville. There is a lane closure and we heed the signs early, get in the right lane to avoid the last minute merge of idiots. A few drivers try to pass the big rig in front of us and he swerves in front of them, taking over the middle of the lane. Then, my buddy is driving right behind the rig, in the middle of the road, keeping those who think they could bottleneck up ahead. Gave a big Thumbs up to the rig driver for setting those last minute mergers in their place.

I despise tailgaters though, but not much to do. I wish there was a way i could tell them ican't go any faster than the driver in front of me so back off my bumper. ( this all while driving down a curvy hill in a no passing lane). My huge hitch in the reciever makes them think twice from getting any closer though.
Bad drivers are all over the country but each area has it's own unique issues. In middle TN people don't know what a turn signal is and don't know what to do at a 4-way stop. Around Rockford, IL when getting onto I-90 they head directly for the far left lane and then, eventually, get up to speed. In Chicago it's all gas or all brakes, nothing in between. In Boston, if the street is crowded the sidewalks are available. I've seen Boston PD cruisers chasing drivers down the sidewalks of Commonwealth Ave. on more than one occasion. In northern IN highway 30 is 4 lanes with a median. In Porter and Lake counties drivers do the same speed (usually 8 to 10 under the posted limit) in both lanes and in both directions. Toronto is the most courteous place I've driven and they assume you'll drive the same. Very good traffic flow in all the Canadian cities I've driven in, except for parts of Windsor near the border.
Talking on a cell phone, maintaining a straight line, and driving above the speed limit is not that difficult. I do not understand why others cannot do the same thing. As far as habits, it depends on where I am at, city driving is around 10 over and interstate the cruise gets set to 95.
[quote name='Il Duce' timestamp='1354207583' post='852445']
Talking on a cell phone, maintaining a straight line, and driving above the speed limit is not that difficult. I do not understand why others cannot do the same thing. As far as habits, it depends on where I am at, city driving is around 10 over and interstate the cruise gets set to 95.
[/quote]

That's brave! I would be all for no speed limits on the interstate IF we had proper driver education. My 9 over routine seems to work pretty well. Most troopers that I know will give you 10 or 15, I don't know any that give more than 20. How has that worked out for you?