Recon on Pistol Caliber Carbine

GoneBallistic

Ok. I am looking for input on a magazine fed pistol caliber carbine. Caliber isn't that important, though .45 is preferred. I have little experience with different models, however I have shot an HK USC that I really liked. My price range is $1000 +-. I know there are a lot of you out there who have or had a PCC and I would really appreciate your input. GO!!!
[quote name='Papabear' timestamp='1354115353' post='851887']
I have a Beretta Storm in 9mm takes the 92 mags. I like it alot had it several years with no problems. Pretty accurate gun and I like the build quality.
[/quote]

They also make a .45ACP Storm Carbine. Runs around $850-$900.

[quote name='GoneBallistic' timestamp='1354109015' post='851838']
.... My price range is $1000 +-
[/quote]

Get three Hi-Point carbines and use the rest for mags/ammo, outfit your own squad for the coming meltdown! ;)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 3

[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354151087' post='852160']
Get three Hi-Point carbines and use the rest for mags/ammo, outfit your own squad for the coming meltdown! ;)

- OS
[/quote]I hear good things about the hi-points but damn they are ugly. I can't get past the looks.

[quote name='rcrespo106' timestamp='1354159461' post='852247']
I hear good things about the hi-points but damn they are ugly. I can't get past the looks.
[/quote]

Think of them as ugly old dawgs that you love anyway.

Besides, the newer tactical ones aren't as fugly as the original Planet of the Apes model like I have.

[img]http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/images/ts995_off.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hi-pointfirearms.net/images/995Carb_ov.jpg[/img]

- OS
Yeah I like to tell myself that I value function over form but the look and feel of a Hi-point are hard to deal with even though I've heard quite a lot of good about them. I have a friend who has one that I hopefully will get to shoot this weekend. I am still considering Kel-tec but as far as I know they don't make a .45 so thats a con from my perspective. Anyone ever shot a Kriss?
i have shot one vector. It was the normal carbine and the only way to describe it was that it "felt different". I would find someone's to shoot before you buy one since i was on the fence whether i liked it or not. They are priced around $1670 with msrp around $1895. The H&K USC's can be found as cheap as $1569 with msrp around $1883.

The vector has 30 round mags that are made from extending glock mags. The USC has 10 round and aftermarket 20 round mags. There are other mags if you do the conversion to ump.

The conversion to UMP is around 2-3k and imho isn't worth it, but they have 25 round mags after conversion. Cheaper guns include the Beretta Storm CX4 and the Thompson.

I watched several videos of people shooting them and it seemed like it would be a lot easier to keep on target for follow up shots. Did you find that to be the case John? I would LOVE to shoot one but I don't know of anyone who has one. That being said, anyone who has a Kriss in East TN and wouldn't mind to let a Marine run a few mags through it, please feel free to PM me. I'll bring my own rounds and clean it for you. :up:

How about a custom built direct impingement AR in your desired caliber?

http://www.rmwxtreme.com/

He's not much on building websites but he does good gun work. There are some 10mm videos on YouTube I've seen but haven't searched other calibers he's made. Would be worth a phone call or email for sure.
[quote name='GoneBallistic' timestamp='1354163170' post='852284']
Yeah I like to tell myself that I value function over form but the look and feel of a Hi-point are hard to deal with even though I've heard quite a lot of good about them. I have a friend who has one that I hopefully will get to shoot this weekend. I am still considering Kel-tec but as far as I know they don't make a .45 so thats a con from my perspective. Anyone ever shot a Kriss?
[/quote]

Hi-Point does make a .45acp. There were several at the gunshow last weekend, here in Knoxville. Here is a link... http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/carbines_45caliber.html
[quote name='Steelharp' timestamp='1354156441' post='852219']
Ballistics wise, the 9mm through a carbine length barrel is equivalent to a .357 magnum. Seems reasonably useful.
[/quote]

I chronographed some WWB through the Bushmaster, and I got about 50 more fps than my Glock 34. The 16" barrel would probably benefit from a load with a slower powder, but I doubt it would make solid .357 velocities.
[quote name='Jon_L' timestamp='1354659346' post='854931'] I hear they're coming out with a Saiga-9... http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2012/10/04/saiga-9-carbine/ [/quote]I hadn't seen that but it looks pretty interesting!! [quote name='c.a.willard' timestamp='1354660489' post='854939'] Just because you can't have a pistol caliber carbine discussion without including it. The sub2000 available in 9 or 40 and well under your budget. [/quote]Yeah I would really love to shoot one but I don't know anyone who has one. I have shot a Keltec pistol or two and didn't care much for them. I would definitely be willing to give it a fair shot though.
[quote name='GoneBallistic' timestamp='1354675973' post='855070']
I hadn't seen that but it looks pretty interesting!! [color=#ff0000]Yeah I would really love to shoot one but I don't know anyone who has one[/color]. I have shot a Keltec pistol or two and didn't care much for them. I would definitely be willing to give it a fair shot though.
[/quote]

Where are you located ? There are several on the board.
[quote name='GoneBallistic' timestamp='1354675973' post='855070']
I hadn't seen that but it looks pretty interesting!! Yeah I would really love to shoot one but I don't know anyone who has one. I have shot a Keltec pistol or two and didn't care much for them. I would definitely be willing to give it a fair shot though.
[/quote]

I have the 9mm Beretta/Sig config. Love it. Beretta 30 round mags work great, and unlike Glock happy sticks they're even molded so to fit as natural extension of the existing grip.

[img]http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/C89282.jpg[/img]

- OS
[quote name='Jon_L' timestamp='1354659346' post='854931']
I hear they're coming out with a Saiga-9...

[url="http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2012/10/04/saiga-9-carbine/"]http://www.gunsholst...aiga-9-carbine/[/url]
[/quote]

There is great lust in my heart for this one.