ticketed/towed away for parking in front of a garage?

Sam1

Have some neighbors that for whatever reason think that they own the parking lot and feel the need to block one of our garages. Hate to trouble the police with a menial matter like that, so are we allowed to start having their vehicles towed off when we can't get our car out? Or do there have to be no parking signs posted before going that route?

We were nice enough to leave two polite notes on their windshield, but they don't seem to care and I'm not giving them chance #3.
Is this a an apartment complex? Report them to management maybe? Doesn't really sound like you would be out of line having them towed since you have asked them twice already. It's just plain inconsiderate, you have things to do and places to go.
It is an apartment complex, we ran it by management a few months ago because of a similar issue with multiple different people blocking one of our other garages. I really don't mind to leave a note once because we come in so late and leave so early, most of them have probably never seen anyone there and they think it's vacant. But 3 times with the same vehicle has passed my tolerance level.
  • Like 1
You are a patient person to give them one chance to fix behavior that I think is completely unacceptable. If they never learned that you don't park in front of a garage, unless it belongs to you, then it's an expensive lesson when you're picking up your car from the impound.

if there is a chance to be given to someone, give the complex management a chance to remove the car, then call the tow company yourself. I don't know what the laws are in TN but in Chicago, all I had to do was show the tow company my lease agreement and I was allowed to have cars towed from "my" property.
Seems like this is a job for the complex management. They should distribute a letter to the residence regarding parking in front of the garages, and warn about towing. They shouldn't put the responsibility on you. They should call the tow company if the behavior continues.
  • Like 2
[quote name='Sam1' timestamp='1354119947' post='851936']
ok thanks, will discuss it with them first - and will also get in touch with the local towing company to see if they need any documentation first so we don't have to search for it at 5am lol
[/quote]

I would also speak to the offender. I've had similar situations at my house with my neighbors visitors. The notes got discarded and I became angry, but once we spoke in person in a civil manner the issue was resolved.

As you said earlier they may assume that your place is vacant or that you are not home during certain hours. A quick chat my resolve the matter and save you some drama.

I would just park behind them in a manner that makes it so they can't leave until you're ready to move your vehicle. Then when you're ready explain that you will continue to one-up their douchebaggery until they stop. But that's just the petty, childish side of me talking. :pleased:

[quote name='Sam1' timestamp='1354137786' post='852071']Spoke with the management here and they said to just have it towed because they tell everyone when they move in not to block the garages.[/quote]

Do this. They will not make that mistake again.
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354123759' post='851981'] I'd put up "no parking" signs, [/quote]

I'd do this but also add a sign to the effect "violators will be towed" so they know full well what the price is for playing stupid games.

Regarding your earlier notes, did you already mention they will be towed if they continued? If so, they've already been duly warned so disregard my comment above.
I had a neighbor who would let her friends park in my space in the car hold randomly. I just started parking behind them and going about my business for a few hours at a time so they could not leave until I was good and ready.

What was even worse IMO was the way some if those wonderful people treated the communal washer and dryer like it their own personal property. They'd throw a load in and leave it all night and well into the next morning. Put a stop to that petty quick too, turns out if there's one thing people don't like its doing their laundry twice because someone took their moldy azz clothes out and leaving them on top of the machines. Lucky I didn't throw it on the floor and leave the door open for the neighborhood cats to come in.

This may seem harsh but when your trying to do laundry so you'll have clean clothes to wear to work and you can't because the property managers unemployed sister has left her clothes in the washing machine from 5 at night clear through till 7 the next morning it gets real old real quick. I could understand once or twice it slipping her mind or even if she had a work emergency and had to rush out but her lazy butt was just a lazy slob.

Apartment living is great huh?
[quote name='Hershmeister' timestamp='1354164266' post='852289']
You should insist that the complex management make to towing phone call. It's their rule to enforce and keeps you out of the line of fire from your neighbor. The beef should remain between them and the management. Not you.
[/quote]

THAT'S very good advice indeed IMO.

- OS
You should insist that the complex management make to towing phone call. It's their rule to enforce and keeps you out of the line of fire from your neighbor. The beef should remain between them and the management. Not you.
[/quote]Yeah, make them be the bad guy, not you. That is not the kind of retaliation you want to deal with.
[/quote]

Problem is that they're not going to be in the office at 5am when I go in to work lol
With it being private property without being handicap or fire lane violation the company will have to do the towing the police won't be able to touch that. Talk to the management about who is there designated towing company for violator vehicles. They may be already told/authorized to tow the vehicles of people who are in violation of the complex's parking rules.
The way I see it they are messing with your livelihood. They could cost you your job and put your family out on the street in this economy. I would approach it knowing they are INTENTIONALLY trying to toss you out on the street. You have warned them plenty so I say tow them when they park there. I would even say tow them even if they are not inconveniencing you but are parking in front of your garage. A few $300 tow/storage bills and they will learn.

I would try really had to have the apartment manager have them towed. They [u]DO[/u] have a person of authority living in the apartment, usually a police officer. They let them stay there free of charge or at a reduced rate. In return the officer "watches" the place as well as serves eviction notices for the management. Might ask the management who their "coutesy officer" is for the apartment. That is what they call them around here.

I would also make sure they cannot call and have you towed out of retaliation.

Dolomite

[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1354154213' post='852192']
I had a neighbor who would let her friends park in my space in the car hold randomly. I just started parking behind them and going about my business for a few hours at a time so they could not leave until I was good and ready.

What was even worse IMO was the way some if those wonderful people treated the communal washer and dryer like it their own personal property. They'd throw a load in and leave it all night and well into the next morning. Put a stop to that petty quick too, turns out if there's one thing people don't like its doing their laundry twice because someone took their moldy azz clothes out and leaving them on top of the machines. Lucky I didn't throw it on the floor and leave the door open for the neighborhood cats to come in.

This may seem harsh but when your trying to do laundry so you'll have clean clothes to wear to work and you can't because the property managers unemployed sister has left her clothes in the washing machine from 5 at night clear through till 7 the next morning it gets real old real quick. I could understand once or twice it slipping her mind or even if she had a work emergency and had to rush out but her lazy butt was just a lazy slob.

Apartment living is great huh?
[/quote]

Been there, done that. Apartments, school dorms, and at home with my sister. I'd give a 1 hr grace period. If the machine was done (either washer or dryer) and sat for more than an hour, the stuff got tossed. It was fun throwing my sister's wet, sour clothes on her bed. :)

A friend had some fun with some knukleheads that were parking illegally at work a few years ago. He printed up some very authentic looking fake parking tickets. I think he even put on there that there was a $20 or so fine that they could pay by mail by sending a money order to a certain address. The address was some charity. They stopped parking there.