Airport Confiscations (Interesting Ebay)

GlockSpock

• Moderators
Just letting everyone here in on a little interesting tidbit. Occasionally I'll just search Ebay for "Airport Confiscations" or "TSA Confiscations". Lots of pointy objects. Reckon we could probably form a group buy and get some of the stuff pretty cheap per item. The only "confiscation" I ever bought was I believe 15 of the "Slip n Snip" folding stainless scissors. I am pretty sure I payed roughly $1 each for them.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=knife+confiscation&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=airport+confiscation&_sacat=0
Sorry, I will NOT buy stolen property. Just because it was stolen by a government agency does not make it right. In fact, to me, it makes it worse.

All of those little pocket knives, scissors, and other items stolen by the TSA and they have yet to actually catch their first terrorist. Remind me again why we put up with this cr@p?
  • Like 9
  • Admin Team
If you ever find yourself in Denver International with some time to kill before your flight, spend a little time outside of the concourse in the area that looks down over one of their two security checkpoints. The number of items you can watch TSA agents pocket in a short period of time is pretty amazing.

That said, don't try the above exercise is you're somehow still under the illusion that you're safer on a plane today than you were on September 10, 2001. You'll leave sadly disappointed and disillusioned.
[quote]How is this NOT illegal.[/quote]
It should be.
I recently saw a special where they had Ipads in baggage that didn't make it to the destination. The agenst stole them. They had locating beepers on them and found 1 at dude's house. Of course he didn't know how it got there. It was like the "to catch a predator" set ups.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
Well, perhaps this is an issue that we will just have to disagree on, but here it goes. If TSA tells you that you cannot bring such objects on a plane, and someone tries to bring them on the plane, I do not see this as stealing. I would argue that in many cases it would be best if TSA returned the items to their rightful owners, but we all know this isn't the case. Once in possession, what is TSA supposed to do? They auction them off in lots, some of which make it to Ebay (people buy the lots at auctions and then place them on Ebay).

I suppose it would be better for TSA to place photos on the internet of 10,000 SAK's being turned into scrap metal?

Post a photo of police agencies scrapping guns and then everyone cries "I'll take them! I'll buy them!". Most of those guns are probably stolen, used in crimes, etc. Edited by CZ9MM
  • Moderators
[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It should be. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I recently saw a special where they had Ipads in baggage that didn't make it to the destination. The agenst stole them. They had locating beepers on them and found 1 at dude's house. Of course he didn't know how it got there. It was like the "to catch a predator" set ups.[/font][/color][/quote]

This I have a problem with. However, on the other hand, I'm sure everyone knows about the Land of Unclaimed Baggage?
http://unclaimedbaggage.com/p/about/our_story
Guest rebeldrummer
i would venture to say that some of these items are NOT actual airport confiscation items...but rather eBay sellers trying to cash in on an opportunity to make a quick buck....just my opinion though?
[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1354122103' post='851960']
Well, perhaps this is an issue that we will just have to disagree on, but here it goes. If TSA tells you that you cannot bring such objects on a plane, and someone tries to bring them on the plane, I do not see this as stealing. I would argue that in many cases it would be best if TSA returned the items to their rightful owners, but we all know this isn't the case. Once in possession, what is TSA supposed to do? They auction them off in lots, some of which make it to Ebay (people buy the lots at auctions and then place them on Ebay).

I suppose it would be better for TSA to place photos on the internet of 10,000 SAK's being turned into scrap metal?

Post a photo of police agencies scrapping guns and then everyone cries "I'll take them! I'll buy them!". Most of those guns are probably stolen, used in crimes, etc.
[/quote]

Yeah it's funny how often you hear the phrase " play stupid games, win stupid prizes" yet when it comes down to something as simple as leaving your knife/scissors/gun/ collapsible baton/etc. at home or even in your checked baggage somehow people want some "justice".

IMO attempting to bring any of the above into the sterile area of an airport is definitely a stupid game worthy of a stupid prize.
Maybe people want the TSA/airport police/airlines to just offer to ship the verboten item back to the noodle heads house?

As with so many things in life there are enough legitimate problems that I won't give piddly little issues like this much if any thought.
I still think the TSA should sell those Post Office "If it fits, it ships" boxes to passengers and let them mail it back home. Now, they collect the items and take them to the dumpster, with my idea they collect the boxes and take them to the airport mail drop. It would go a long way to fostering good feelings with the TSA.
  • Like 1
[quote name='analog_kidd' timestamp='1354186503' post='852336']
I still think the TSA should sell those Post Office "If it fits, it ships" boxes to passengers and let them mail it back home. Now, they collect the items and take them to the dumpster, with my idea they collect the boxes and take them to the airport mail drop. It would go a long way to fostering good feelings with the TSA.
[/quote]
Job related I fly often some times. I believe there are a few airports that actually do this. I think the airport at Canton-Akron, OH, has a small station right before the TSA agent looks at your ID.
[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1354122103' post='851960']

Post a photo of police agencies scrapping guns and then everyone cries "I'll take them! I'll buy them!". Most of those guns are probably stolen, used in crimes, etc.
[/quote]

Yeah, I would think this is most certainly government theft. This stuff belonged to people. The government confiscated it and then SOLD it. That is theft no matter how you cut it. They could have tagged the item and then placed it with the crew until the plane reached destination. Seems complicated, but they could come up with a system for it. They could, as mentioned, allow people to mail the stuff home. They could also take the stuff and throw it away, but instead they are selling it. Pure and simple theft.
[quote name='Will H' timestamp='1354192447' post='852348']

Yeah, I would think this is most certainly government theft. This stuff belonged to people. The government confiscated it and then SOLD it. That is theft no matter how you cut it. They could have tagged the item and then placed it with the crew until the plane reached destination. Seems complicated, but they could come up with a system for it. They could, as mentioned, allow people to mail the stuff home. They could also take the stuff and throw it away, but instead they are selling it. Pure and simple theft.
[/quote]I agree but that would make too much sense.
I used to fly for work a lot. I know the drill. When I fly I usually wear comfortable clothes, no belt, shoes that slip off easily etc. I know what is and isn't acceptable. One time even after putting on my "flying clothes" and what not I somehow managed to let a pack of razor blades get into my pocket. I stepped through the metal detector about 3 times before I finally found them. As soon as I realized what I had done I tossed them in a trash can and the TSA agent was getting pretty snarly with me. I was just glad that they let me board the plane without further questioning. We all pretty much know what we are and are not allowed to take on a plane. If not the list is easy to find. If you choose not to do research before you fly it's your own fault. Don't walk around ignorant and try to blame it on someone else. We all dream of the day that we can keep our sidearm on when we fly but until that day, follow the rules or don't fly, there really aren't any surprises here.
I understand what you are saying, but at the same time I don't choose to walk around ignorant and blame someone else. I choose to walk around a free American. If someone or something, like the government, takes something from me I expect to get it back.
I used to fly a LOT for work. Typically 2-3 flights per week. I had to carry tools for work that included small screwdrivers, wire snips, etc. It is very easy to be in a rush to make a flight and forget about the small wire snips in your pocket. Or the Leatherman on your belt. Or the deodorant in a non-TSA-approved size that you had to buy when you ran out. Or the $300 multimeter that TSA refuses to allow on the plane.

Theft is theft. And a government search and seizure without a warrant is theft.

I'll repeat again that we were safer on airlines BEFORE the Feds got involved in airline security. Before 1968 there were NO hijackings or terrorist attacks on US airliners. Pilots were REQUESTED to carry pistols, and passengers were just asked not to have loaded weapons on the planes. Other countries had hijackings and attacks, but not on US planes. Then the Feds got involved and ensured that passengers and pilots were unarmed, and almost immediately US airliners started to be hijacked and attacked.
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team
I was in 1WTC the morning of September 11. I watched the planes go in and the buildings go down. I spent 9 months at Ground Zero looking at the devastation caused by that attack for 18 hours a day. I don't have to close my eyes to see it now. I can still smell it.

I can say for certain that I have not been as safe on an airplane as I was on September 10, 2001 when I flew with a full sized Spyderco clipped to my pocket.

If we wanted the airlines to be safe, we wouldn't use a government jobs program to do it. We'd let the airlines provide for their own security and suffer market consequences for lapses.

Security theather is okay for pacifying the majority of the population and keeping up the illusion that we care. Just don't confuse it with actually being safe.
  • Like 2
[quote name='Will H' timestamp='1354192447' post='852348']

[/quote]

Not theft at all. You have two very simple choices, willingly surrender the paraphernalia or turn around and leave. The options may suck but to call it theft is simply inaccurate.

The flat rate box idea is a good one though.
  • Moderators
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1354204425' post='852424']

Not theft at all. You have two very simple choices, willingly surrender the paraphernalia or turn around and leave. The options may suck but to call it theft is simply inaccurate.

The flat rate box idea is a good one though.[/quote]
You don't have the option to leave. Once you start the security screening, you have to complete it or face arrest.
If you have a knife with a lanyard hole or a Spyderco hole I suggest you run as large of a padlock through it as you can. I've even gone as far as chaining it to the suitcase frame and putting them in stinky shoes.

If you use a padlock, tape the crap out of the knife with masking tape so it doesn't get scratched from metal on metal contact.