Powerball

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer
not sure how many of you guys buy powerball / lottery tickets.

here at my office, a lot of people are wanting to pool their money and get a bunch of tickets and (IF!) they win split it. Edited by rebeldrummer
Guest rebeldrummer
[quote name='gun sane' timestamp='1354122924' post='851971']
Powerball/lotto is a tax on the mathematically challenged.
[/quote]

well i will say that I agree to this statement...
i just thought it was crazy how people here at work were going crazy over it today!!!

my post was more for a fun topic than an actual suggestion.... Edited by rebeldrummer
As long as you're not spending money you can't afford I see no harm in it. If you decide to forgo a cup of Starbucks this week and buy a couple of chances at the $500M, I don't see a problem. It's the people who spend money they have no business spending that are the problem. But that's just as true of the guy who blows the rent money on beer and hookers, or buys a new gun instead of fixing his kid's teeth.
  • Like 1

I start playing when either the Powerball or Mega Millions reaches $500+ million. Which is normally once or twice a year.

I got my ticket this morning :) $10 bucks twice a year won't break the bank, and it gives me something to look forward to and dream about for a day :)

Guest uofmeet
I haven't bought a power ball ticket since it got raised to $2. However, I will play the TN one only since it is still $1, but it has to get up there for me to buy one. Still get a scratch off ever once a while for $hit and grins.....
[/quote]

Yep and the great one is that guy that is on the tv shows that won the lottery 7 times (but never seems to win a big one) is on all the shows telling people not to buy a quick pick, and the last time it was up to 400~ million, he said the same thing, and all of the jackpot winners bought quick picks.

There's no science behind it, you have the same statistical probability to win with any set of numbers you can select... But people buy into the hype, or he wouldn't reappear on the news every time the jackpot gets big.
- The revenue generated by the lottery is used to fund schooling.
- The VAST MAJORITY of the money spent on tickets come from the lower income bracket.
- Most of the scholarships the lottery funds are used by middle/upper class children.

Therefore, the poor are voluntarily paying for the more well off peoples' children to go to school. It was my understanding that this was what the current administration and generation is adamantly opposed to! The poor paying a progressive tax that benefit those who are better off than they are. Like I said, it's voluntary. It's voluntarily dumb. If you can afford it, go for it. Hard working children thank you for paying their college tuition.

If you spend only $50 a month on it. You could invest that and be GUARANTEED to get [i]something[/i] for your effort. Or just throw it away on the astronomically off chance you might become rich. Edited by Caster
[/quote]

You are absolutely correct. But every now and then when the jackpot gets super high I can't resist throwing math out the window and dreaming about what could be. I have some disposable income so a few bucks a year ain't gonna break me. Hell if I win I'll buy every member here a beer. Or twelve.
[quote name='rebeldrummer' timestamp='1354122762' post='851970']
not sure how many of you guys buy powerball / lottery tickets.

here at my office, a lot of people are wanting to pool their money and get a bunch of tickets and (IF!) they win split it.

why didnt TGO think of this earlier!!! ha ha ha...
[/quote]

Never go in with a bunch of people. If you win, guaranteed lawsuits and lost friends. Splitting it rarely goes well.
  • Like 1
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354136201' post='852053']

Never go in with a bunch of people. If you win, guaranteed lawsuits and lost friends. Splitting it rarely goes well.
[/quote]

This plus 1000. A friendly agreement to give everyone $100 or even $1000 is one thing but no way I'd pool in with anyone. It's just not neccasery and besides you'll increase your chances if everyone buys one as opposed to chipping in 10 cents a piece on just the one.
[b][color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]Big lottery winners offer advice, cautionary tales as $550M Powerball drawing nears[/left][/size][/font][/color][/b]

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/28/big-lottery-winners-offer-advice-cautionary-tales-as-500m-powerball-drawing/

[b][color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]Trial begins for Florida woman accused of murdering lottery winner[/left][/size][/font][/color][/b]

[color=#000000][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3][left]Read more: [url="http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/28/florida-woman-on-trial-for-allegedly-murdering-mega-millions-lottery-winner/#ixzz2DYPcI7L0"]http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/28/florida-woman-on-trial-for-allegedly-murdering-mega-millions-lottery-winner/#ixzz2DYPcI7L0[/url][/left][/size][/font][/color]
[quote name='rebeldrummer' timestamp='1354136403' post='852054']
i have heard of such issues....money does strange things to people
[/quote]

Not strange, it's peoples' greed and a sense of expectation. After watching a few episodes of that show about how the lottery ruined my life (or whatever it's titled), I wouldn't tell a soul I won from anywhere around. I would just grab the important stuff like the wife, the guns and laptop and move far, far away. Probably change our names in the process as well.

If I knew anyone that won, I wouldn't call them or try to contact them in any way just out of respect because they will be fighting off vampires and scumbags so much, that they'll probably just start assuming anyone that comes around at all wants something.
  • Like 1
I was in Columbus,GA this morning and had to stop and get gas on my way in to my appointment. In my work I am often in the Industrial side of town and there was a line out the door of the gas station of locals buying tickets for this thing. If I drop 10 bucks on a ticket here or there I don't really miss it. These people were literally in line praying to hit this thing and I know 10 bucks means a lot more to them. You just don't see that on the nicer sides of town.
[quote name='ShamGlock' timestamp='1354139348' post='852083']
I was in Columbus,GA this morning and had to stop and get gas on my way in to my appointment. In my work I am often in the Industrial side of town and there was a line out the door of the gas station of locals buying tickets for this thing. If I drop 10 bucks on a ticket here or there I don't really miss it. These people were literally in line praying to hit this thing and I know 10 bucks means a lot more to them. You just don't see that on the nicer sides of town.
[/quote]

The reason you don't see that on the nicer side of town is because those people got there spending their money wisely, not depending on the lotto for as their retirement fund.
I did not buy a ticket for myself, but seeing as I was going to get a soda today I agreed to pick one up for a co-worker.

He paid the two bucks I bought the ticket.

I did make him agree, in front of witnesses that if he wins he has to pay of my mortgage for my effort, LOL.

I got a payment due in a couple of days, got plans to pay it tomorrow..... with money from my checking account.
Guest rebeldrummer
[quote name='Mike.357' timestamp='1354144514' post='852115']
I got a payment due in a couple of days, got plans to pay it tomorrow..... with money from my checking account.
[/quote]

ha ha ha.....nice! i paid mine today......with money from my checking account as well