Haslam Positioning College Campuses Out of Parking Lot Bill

Here's more:

[url="http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/dec/05/haslam-excluding-campuses-key-to-gun-law-deal/"]http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/dec/05/haslam-excluding-campuses-key-to-gun-law-deal/[/url]

"Ramsey told reporters in Nashville recently that enacting the law on storing guns in vehicles would only enshrine what is common practice now, meaning the concerns raised by large employers like FedEx and Volkswagen may be misplaced.
"I will guarantee you there are gun-carry permit holders that have a firearm in their car in their parking lot as we're sitting here speaking," he said. "All we're doing is making those people legal."
If the school parking lots are excluded from the law, make the schools responsible for the safety of those parking there and on their commute to and from the parking lot. Leave the schools open to unlimited liability for death, injury or rape, as well as pain and suffering. Then, tell them to pick: guns in the parking lots, or unlimited liability. Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 3
You can already have a firearm in your car at a school as long as you are dropping off/picking up or you do not have intent to go armed.

I wish the politicians would focus on cutting the criminal penalties for those with permits carrying on their persons, like local parks, 500 dollar fine signs, and inside schools.
[quote name='MississippiBoy' timestamp='1354736983' post='855331']
They already state that non-student adults can have a firearm in their car on campus, why exclude schools from this issue.
[/quote]

Why should those schools be able to terminate employees for being in compliance with that law? Especially those who take state assistance. You know, [i]your[/i] money.

Why should adult students not be able to do the same?

Why should a student or non-student HCP holder not be able to have loaded firearm kept in vehicle?

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
Guest Overtaker
[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354743284' post='855389']Why should a student or non-student HCP holder not be able to have loaded firearm kept in vehicle?

- OS
[/quote]

Better question is why should a college student or non-student HCP holder not be able to have a loaded firearm on her person?
[quote name='QuietDan' timestamp='1354737821' post='855341']
If the school parking lots are excluded from the law, make the schools responsible for the safety of those parking there and on their commute to and from the parking lot. Leave the schools open to unlimited liability for death, injury or rape, as well as pain and suffering. Then, tell them to pick: guns in the parking lots, or unlimited liability.
[/quote]
[size=4]Would have to repeal Tennessee Governmental Liability Act, (Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 29-20-101 - 29-20-407). Our Legislature, on the string to dance for the University system and all other governmental agencies has made sure that none of them are responsible for anything but cashing their checks.[/size]
[font=Calibri","sans-serif][size=2].[/size][/font] Edited by Worriedman
[quote name='Worriedman' timestamp='1354797340' post='855793']
[font=Calibri","sans-serif][size=2]Would have to repeal Tennessee Governmental Liability Act, (Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 29-20-101 - 29-20-407).[/size][/font] Our Legislature, on the string to dance for the University system and all other governmental agencies has made sure that none of them are responsible for anything but cashing their checks.
[font=Calibri","sans-serif][size=2]Tennessee Governmental Liability Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 29-20-101 - 29-20-407.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Stage a legislative attack on that aspect of the law and roll the university system.
[quote name='QuietDan' timestamp='1354797591' post='855794']
Stage a legislative attack on that aspect of the law and roll the university system.
[/quote]

I would love it if that were possible, but it is not. MTAS and CTAS are well ensconced in policy making in TN, and UT has a strangle hold on the State especially at the current time, (even though I feel their control of our Cities and Counties is a crime under the Official Oppression clause, but then who cares what I or the Constitution say?)
[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354743284' post='855389']
Why should those schools be able to terminate employees for being in compliance with that law? Especially those who take state assistance. You know, [i]your[/i] money.

Why should adult students not be able to do the same?

Why should a student or non-student HCP holder not be able to have loaded firearm kept in vehicle?

- OS
[/quote]

The correct answer is; there are no valid reasons, only politics.
[quote name='Worriedman' timestamp='1354798505' post='855800']
I would love it if that were possible, but it is not. MTAS and CTAS are well ensconced in policy making in TN, and UT has a strangle hold on the State especially at the current time, (even though I feel their control of our Cities and Counties is a crime under the Official Oppression clause, but then who cares what I or the Constitution say?)
[/quote]

Run the list of University Officials that are HCP holders or who have some sort of police or bodyguard protection and out them for hypocrisy. People love to out hypocrites. And the educators often hate to have their names in the media when it makes them look like fools, which they often are. Hammer them, hammer them, hammer them. They are not your friends and never will be. Students usually don't like them, and if they've put political pressure on legislators, a lot of the legislators won't like the University Officials either. At the very least, you find out who their protectors are, and then target them. It can't be the entire legislature.

I'm not saying that wiser heads would not disagree with points such as these, just that options are explored or explained why they're not options. I really don't mind getting shot down with the facts at the disposal of WorriedMan and others. I'm just looking for an "over, around or thru".
[quote name='QuietDan' timestamp='1354814554' post='855902']
Run the list of University Officials that are HCP holders or who have some sort of police or bodyguard protection and out them for hypocrisy. People love to out hypocrites. And the educators often hate to have their names in the media when it makes them look like fools, which they often are. Hammer them, hammer them, hammer them. They are not your friends and never will be. Students usually don't like them, and if they've put political pressure on legislators, a lot of the legislators won't like the University Officials either. At the very least, you find out who their protectors are, and then target them. It can't be the entire legislature.

I'm not saying that wiser heads would not disagree with points such as these, just that options are explored or explained why they're not options. I really don't mind getting shot down with the facts at the disposal of WorriedMan and others. I'm just looking for an "over, around or thru".
[/quote]

QuiteDan, bring it on my friend!

Was not intending to say we should not attempt everything, and, I appreciate your suggestions.

I am simply an old Contractor, been in the concrete business my whole life in one form or another. I have a house full of grand babies, and the present aroma surrounding the state of firearms ownership scare me pretty bad. Anything I know I have dug up regarding these issues was done because it interested me, along with the fact that the government wants us all ignorant.

Please do not ever take a statement of mine regarding the TCA Codes as being dismissive, I have more than likely made every argument and had them shoved down my throat before. If I come off as a know-it-it-all that is not my intention, simply is a result of my less than sweet normal disposition.

I intend for these discussions to be brain-storming sessions, I absolutely HATE to argue. If I am acting less than reasonable, let me know, I have pretty broad shoulders. Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1
[quote name='QuietDan' timestamp='1354737821' post='855341']
If the school parking lots are excluded from the law, make the schools responsible for the safety of those parking there and on their commute to and from the parking lot. Leave the schools open to unlimited liability for death, injury or rape, as well as pain and suffering. Then, tell them to pick: guns in the parking lots, or unlimited liability.
[/quote]
And all those state college and university court case defenses, and payment of the decisions, from the pockets of the taxpayer. Think this through, please. Edited by HvyMtl
[quote name='QuietDan' timestamp='1354814554' post='855902']

[/quote]

Better yet, start with public record requests for an email sent by a state university employee involving HCP permits... I believe it is a crime to lobby legislation while on the job for the government... I bet there might be some rather embarrassing emails you might find.
[quote name='HvyMtl' timestamp='1354830175' post='856044']
And all those state college and university court case defenses, and payment of the decisions, from the pockets of the taxpayer. Think this through, please.
[/quote]

Good point! And then, they'd be forced to take the path of least resistance, and the cheapest path. The People wouldn't stand for the "ethical-in-the-academics-mind" no-guns-on-campus stance if it's going to cost them MONEY. The People just wouldn't stand for it.
  • Like 1
[quote name='JayC' timestamp='1354846737' post='856207']
Better yet, start with public record requests for an email sent by a state university employee involving HCP permits... I believe it is a crime to lobby legislation while on the job for the government... I bet there might be some rather embarrassing emails you might find.
[/quote]

Do you know how to do this? That might actually be a really smart thing to do. Heck, you could probably find crap like that about all sorts of issues by doing that.