Football Vols have hit the skids

Glenn

It was just announced that Louisville's Charley Strong has turned down the offer from TN. It appears we will have to settle for another low tier coach, which may mean the end of TN as a football school for a long time to come.
[quote name='babelt' timestamp='1354758113' post='855499']
Gruden, Gruden, Gruden!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Gruden is smarter than that. The situation would have to be perfect to attract him away from his current gig. UT is far from perfect. They need to find an interim coach that can get them above .500 in order to attract a top tier coach.
I'll do it for two years for minimum wage plus $100,000 per win, what could be more fair?

I figure I can make 400K just letting them play sandlot football, could probably get them to 7 and 4 with a bit of actual strategy as long as it doesn't rise to current confusing levels.

Or hire Ken Sparks to get them to 8 and 3 by his second year.

- OS
Y'all need to relax a bit. There are more than 3 coaches that can win at UT. Gruden was a pipe dream. Gundy wouldn't leave his alma mater, and Strong just got paid 4 million and only beat 1 ranked opponent.

Personally I favored Larry Fedora to begin with, but we'll see. Plus maybe they'll talk to Greg Roman, he would be phenomenal.

[quote name='strickj' timestamp='1354766111' post='855584']In an interview, Fat Phil said that he would take the position if they offered :)[/quote]

Darren Rovell sports buisness reporter for ESPN, says Hart should hire Phil for a 1 yr deal and wait for more coaching free agents.

I personally think UTs collective head would explode if that happened.

He also says Dave Harts problem is he never fired or hired a coach in 12 yrs at Fl State. Not sure I agree with that either. We went hard at Charlie Strong, he got 4 mil to stay put. We can't pay an unproven coach Saban money.

• Like 1
[quote name='laktrash' timestamp='1354805583' post='855836']Bottom line is nobody wants the mess we have here

petrino would be good , but you can't trust him[/quote]

I don't think we have a mess honestly. All you have to do is be a good recruiter and you'll win. It's not like we at NCAA sanctioned.

I think we have some problems at the top. Jimmy Cheek being the main one. It was decided the UT was going to become a more academic school and now it's hard to get players here.

I would hire Jim Tressell, he's sat out long enough.

[quote name='laktrash' timestamp='1354805583' post='855836']
Bottom line is nobody wants the mess we have here

petrino would be good , but you can't trust him
[/quote]
[quote name='Lumber_Jack' timestamp='1354805865' post='855842']

I would hire Jim Tressell, he's sat out long enough.
[/quote]

Petrino had an affair and lyed to cover it up. Gee who else can we name that has done the same thing? :shrug: He wasn't the first 50 something to go after a 20 something and he won't be the last. Put a morality clause in the contract and give him a chance.
As far as Tressell, I think he is still under surspention and UT would have to show cause to hire him. Since UT is still under probation because of numnuts Kiffin I don't know if that would fly.