Yeager responds to Coward claims

TLRMADE

Ha, I think the 670-1 Gods are more forgiving nowadays. Just an observation from the last time I was in a chow hall.

:surrender:  Sadly true, although they're making noise about chaptering now that they don't need the numbers.  Personally, I'm looking forward to cutting some of the dead weight

LOL. I seen a lot of it too when I was over there. I actually seen one company try to administer a PT test over there. It was ugly all the way around.

When I was in I passed something up the chain about 1996 as far as modifying the body fat/ PT standards. What promted me was I had a soldier who was overweight, not by much but still overweight. We taped him and he came in a few % points over. We put him on the program and he did good the first month but failed to show improvement the second consecutive month so he was processed out. He always scored above 270 on his PT test and could almost carry a hummer himself. Really big guy that did work out, cared about his career and was a positive member in my squad. What I got in return was a lazy guy who literally weighed 135 pounds and scored ~200 on a PT test. He had to have help carrying a single bag of LSS. I watched him and another 140 pound soldier drop and bend a MK19 because they couldn't carry it between them.

What I suggested is let their body fat dictate whether their PT score was passing or not. If you came in over weight and taped 1% over on your body fat you needed to score a 220+, 2% 240+, 3% was 260+, 4% was 280+ and 5% required a 300+ in order to pass. Soldiers would not be able to know what was passing until after the PT test so they would try their hardest if they knew they were going to come in over weight. Unlike my 135 pound goober who would do the minimum on his pushups and situps then barely make the run to pass our 200 minimum to stay out of the company level remedial PT program.

I wrote saying it would be self correcting for those who were truly out of shape but would allow people, like my soldier, to remain an asset to the Army.

In the end my overweight soldier just gave up. He got a few article 15's for not showing up for his mandatory PT and was booted out about 8 months after his first weight in.

Dolomite

Regarding 670-1 and APFT failures

No sh*t!, there I was.................!!!!!

I am the First Sergeant of a Brigade HHC, so I'm sure you can feel my pain!  (Field Grade Officers outnumber the Privates)

During 10+ years of GWOT, the Army has turned a blind eye to many things; Uniform and grooming standards, NCOES requirements, APFT, etc. etc. etc.

The good news?  The Army is getting smaller. And with that, more selective on who they allow to remain in service (Active AND Reserve/NG)

We no longer need every mouth-breather that is willing to sign on the dotted line.

Word from the top? The SMA has issued the official "You'd better check yourself, before you wreck yourself"

-Grooming standards haven't increased; but we are back to enforcing the standards we abandoned 10 years ago.

-Can't pass your PT test? Be prepared to get discharged.

-600-9 No Go?  Same thing; Make the tape, or get out.

** We are back to requiring a PT test on Zero Day at all NCOES and MOS producing schools.   We were allowing students to bring a 705 from their unit to meet the -APFT requirement (which you KNOW were getting pencil whipped by some) but those days are over!

-Got a really good 240 gunner that is a complete f^ck-tard anywhere but outside the wire?  * You know the guy; broken moral compass, APFT failure, writes bad checks, can't get his security clearance, doesn't want to go to WLC, total failure in garrison and on the FOB/COP....but rocks the 240 like Tactical Jesus?  Guess what? The Army is back to the mindset that a Warrior outside the wire needs to be a solid Soldier inside the wire. (go figure)

The list goes on, but you get the point...

/Standards Rant

That was how things were when I was operation seargeant that trained OBC back in 97-99. Everybody checked in by Monday night and the a piss test was at 4am on Tuesday followed by a PT test.

Before I worked with the OBC's I always thought officers were good guys other than a bit misguided. But the training classes were always an experience. That first Friday was like a frat party and we ALWAYS had at least two get the boot each class for alcohol related incidents. And we always had at least one piss hot for drugs and not marijuana either, opiates and cocaine. One of the funniest was a LT that butt naked in his truck idling outside his BOQ. He was stinking drunk and had no clue where his clothes were. He never found any of his stuff.

Dolomite

One of the funniest was a LT that butt naked in his truck idling outside his BOQ. He was stinking drunk and had no clue where his clothes were. He never found any of his stuff.

Dolomite

Now THAT is the way to party!

Speaking of OBC....I taught Military Science for MTSU's ROTC program for a few years prior to going down to 20th Group.

Talk about overpaid Babysitting...I wanted to choke those little bastards on a daily basis!!!!!  

1. Yeager is a douche

2.  The 1911 is a perfectly acceptable carry gun, although i prefer my 229 SAS

3.  Pie  mainly because well its better

4.  Standards Rant (I agree with almost all of it except for the tape process.  the fact is that the tape test is not an accurate measure of body fat.  I personally believe that before a  Soldier is processed out they should receive a more accurate method of measuring.  A good time for this would probably be at their mandatory meeting with the nutritionist.  The only reason the Army continues to use the tape method is because it is significantly cheaper than other methods.  It would not be cost effective to use the more accurate methods for every Soldier that is over screening table weight.  It would however not be terribly expensive to do for only Soldier who tape over.

5.  Yeager is a douche

• Like 1
I'm the OPS SGM at a BDE. Our Division Commander was with us this past weekend. He gave us the green light
to start out processing for all the above items. They have even streamlined the process and made templates
up for the packets to include the statements. It's just fill in the blank.

In the old days if you failed tape then you went to get tested with calipers at the Hospital or by the Master Fitness Trainers.

BTW I like Pie and HHC 1SG position sucks. Edited by R1100R

Haha, this is probably the only thing I've seen a near unanimous agreement on this board.

Maybe those on this board think so or maybe most just choose not to engage in the discussion.

Anyway, 4,213 students went though TR last year so "douche" or not it seems he's doing okay and I'm glad for him and his staff.

Edited by RobertNashville

In the old days if you failed tape then you went to get tested with calipers at the Hospital or by the Master Fitness Trainers.

But that option is not even available to Soldier today.  The sole definitive method is the tape test, which out side of being mathematically inaccurate as a form of measuring body fat is also prone to human error.  i have personally seen a Soldier with 7 % less body fat (Hydro static test) than what the tape test said they were. 

But that option is not even available to Soldier today.  The sole definitive method is the tape test, which out side of being mathematically inaccurate as a form of measuring body fat is also prone to human error.  i have personally seen a Soldier with 7 % less body fat (Hydro static test) than what the tape test said they were. 

I have too. We had a POS sergeant that had it in for one of his soldiers. The sergeant was coming up on his way out for not moving up. He had been an E-5 for over 10 years and his career was over. 

His soldier was a good kid, a body builder and was a bigger guy so he always came in over the weight. Well the sergeant taped him and the soldier came in like 4% over. When I seen the results I I called BS. The sergeant taped him again in front of me and literally choked the soldier then had the tape falling off his waist. I told the platoon sergeant about it and we scheduled the soldier for a water test and actually had a body fat well under 10%.

That is what sucks about the tape method. People measure differnently by different people. I would like a mothod for the men similar to what they do for the women. Just a few more measurement points can only make it more accurate.

Dolomite

Maybe those on this board think so or maybe most just choose not to engage in the discussion.

Anyway, 4,213 students went though TR last year so "douche" or not it seems he's doing okay and I'm glad for him and his staff.

I deal with a lot of big egos. Some folks need those egos to do what they do. As I said earlier, Yeager's personality doesn't bother me. He has some pretty good credentials as a trainer. His internet videos are one thing. It's much more important how his students feel about him after they complete a class.

I deal with a lot of big egos. Some folks need those egos to do what they do. As I said earlier, Yeager's personality doesn't bother me. He has some pretty good credentials as a trainer. His internet videos are one thing. It's much more important how his students feel about him after they complete a class.

Yuup - I've taken two formal two-day classes and quit a few of his alumni (free) classes and will take at least one from him this year. As this point I've trained with some of the most recognized trainers/places in the country and don't spend my money at places where I don't think I'm getting my money's worth.

I'm the OPS SGM at a BDE.

BTW I like Pie and HHC 1SG position sucks.

The HHC in a standard line Battalion isnt that bad. You are one of 4 or 5 ISGs, and deal with a Company and Battalion Commander, and the CSM.

I could do that job standing on my head.

The Brigade HHC ISG gig?  YES! It truly sucks the big one!

So, I am the First Sergeant, herding cat over no less than 10 Master Sergeants, about a million SFC, AND the Ops Sergeant Major, plus the Brigade CSM.

That's just on the NCO side...

Add Full Bird Colonel, 3 LTC, about 6 or 7 Majors, and then there is the COC (pronounced "COCK") which is my Corp of Captains (about 15-18 strong)...

Morning formation wants me to kill baby pandas  :rant:

Depends on the battle field.

BTW, Yeager probably uses instructors like every other training sight out there. Other than maybe a safety brief you probably aren't going to see him. Robert?

Dolomite

Actually I've trained under him in one class and I've met/spoken to him every time I've been to Camden for a class and/or alumni weekends although I wouldn't be surprised if he trains as a guest trainer at other schools more often than he does at his own (seems to work that way in post graduate classes as well...I had more classed at my university with actual Ohio State University professors than most students of Ohio State who, supposedly, have that professor as their instructor :) ).

I'm sure many of his trainers train for other schools or their own schools as well; whether that's true for every one I don't know...I see some of them more than others for whatever that means.

Edited by RobertNashville