How to safely purchase on Armslist

GoneBallistic

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this thread so if this is incorrect, moderators please move. :) I'm interested in a firearm on Armslist. I have never bought a firearm like this so I have no idea how to do this safely, legally and not get burned. Anyone with experience or advice please share! It's a good deal and if its legit I don't want to miss it. Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a local buy, meet at your local gun store (with their consent of course)

If distance go by feedback and your gut as to if you want to do biz with the seller

Pay with a USPS money order. Get a pic of the serial # of the firearm before sending (I do this to ensure they have not just copied the pics from somewhere else).
  • Moderators
Take someone with you (either or both armed if legally possible), meet in a public area (well lit) area, talk to the person on the phone before you meet them, keep it within state lines (as out of state transfers require an FFL), stay away from the NFA (that rhymes, no further explanation needed), and if it is so cheap than you consider taking off work to buy it before someone else does (it is probably stolen).

In all seriousness, I have done many FTF deals for many items (firearm related as well as various other things), I have never not once got burned. Exercise caution and use your instinct, and you should be fine. I also usually like to Google any email addresses/phone numbers that someone gives me in order to lookup whatever I can about the person. Say I am emailing a guy with gunguy123@gmail.com, and I Google "gunguy123@gmail.com, and all I find is bad stuff on some forum talking about how he ripped someone off, perhaps I steer clear of him. Use your brain, use what resources you have (Google for research and a friend for backup) and you don't have (much) to worry about.
  • Moderators
[quote]Pay with a USPS money order. Get a pic of the serial # of the firearm before sending (I do this to ensure they have not just copied the pics from somewhere else).[/quote]

I would personally be very afraid to try and purchase something via delivery option over something such as Gunlistings or Armslist. Something on TGO, sure! But often times classified sites don't really have a feedback system and are easily duped.
  • Moderators
[quote]First I would ask for a lot of picture of the weapon. I always use a USPS M/O you dont have to wait for it to clear. If you worried about the sale have them send it through a FFL dealer.[/quote]

I would be sure to ask for some random "specialized" photo. Such as, "Can you send me a photo up close of the grips", or "Can you disassemble the gun and show me a picture of the rifling?". I have done this many times when someone is trying to sell me something. This way you'll know whether they simply pulled photos of the gun from another site/post and are trying to rob you.
  • Moderators
[quote]This is not local by the way. West Coast. So from what I'm getting from you guys its FFL or nothing for out of state?[/quote]

100%

Since it is over Armlist, I would consider this your only option for greater insuring that you don't get ripped off: Find a reputable FFL in the area (via the internet). Call him and ask if it is ok if he would do the following for you: Ask him if he will essentially hold onto a firearm someone local to him will bring him. See if he will allow you to verify with him that it is what you are expecting, and see if you can send payment to him. Essentially, see if you can have someone sell it via an FFL as consignment. That's the best idea I have. Otherwise I would be afraid of getting ripped off. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea?
[quote name='GoneBallistic' timestamp='1355169511' post='857974']
This is not local by the way. West Coast. So from what I'm getting from you guys its FFL or nothing for out of state?
[/quote]

The only legal way for an out of state transfer is through a in state FFL.

And if it to good to be true it is.

Like other have said do your research so you don't get scammed
[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1355170867' post='857991']
100%

Since it is over Armlist, I would consider this your only option for greater insuring that you don't get ripped off: Find a reputable FFL in the area (via the internet). Call him and ask if it is ok if he would do the following for you: Ask him if he will essentially hold onto a firearm someone local to him will bring him. See if he will allow you to verify with him that it is what you are expecting, and see if you can send payment to him. Essentially, see if you can have someone sell it via an FFL as consignment. That's the best idea I have. Otherwise I would be afraid of getting ripped off. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea?
[/quote]yeah I'm working on this right now. It's a REALLY good price and that kinda makes me nervous...but I guess going through an FFL pretty much eliminates getting scammed right? I guess it's possible that the dude didn't do his research to see what comparable guns were going for. Edited by GoneBallistic
[quote name='GoneBallistic' timestamp='1355177628' post='858076']...but I guess going through an FFL pretty much eliminates getting scammed right?
[/quote]

Not at all. You have to send money first. Then he send the goods. All the FFL does is provide a mailing address and fills out some forms. They are not responsible for what is or what is not shipped and the condition it is in.

Many people do this all the time, just being realistic since you are asking valid questions.
I make sure to speak with the person on the phone to hash out the deal. I [u]ALWAYS[/u] write the phone number on my hand. And if I can I write a plate number on my hand as well. Doesn't do much to prevent but will help investigators catch who the last person I was with.

I will also ask if they mind meeting at a local LE and have the numbers run. That will speak volumes as to the trustworthiness of the person. I have never actually met at a police station but just ask the question.

I always ask, if selling, if the person is allowed to own firearms or verify their HCP. And if not HCP then at least a TDL.

This is all for a face to face meet. I will not buy a gun out of state sight unseen. The chances of being ripped off are too migh for me.

Dolomite
[quote name='GoneBallistic' timestamp='1355177628' post='858076']
yeah I'm working on this right now. It's a REALLY good price and that kinda makes me nervous...but I guess going through an FFL pretty much eliminates getting scammed right? I guess it's possible that the dude didn't do his research to see what comparable guns were going for.
[/quote] You are making me nervous with what you are saying. Some red flags are going up here. Make sure you get some real good confirmation you are dealing with a honest person. Talk with them on the phone and ask for more pictures of different parts of the firearm. This is looking fishy to me.
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1355177852' post='858078']
Not at all. You have to send money first. Then he send the goods. All the FFL does is provide a mailing address and fills out some forms. They are not responsible for what is or what is not shipped and the condition it is in.

Many people do this all the time, just being realistic since you are asking valid questions.
[/quote]What I was thinking about doing was the consignment thing mentioned by CZ9MM. This would make the purchase from an FFL if I am understanding it correctly.
[quote name='Runco' timestamp='1355182702' post='858124']
I just move on.
[/quote]This is the option I am leaning toward. The price is about $400 under the average used price of about $1650. Here is the link if any of you want to have a look. [url="http://www.armslist.com/posts/710138/fresno-california-rifles-for-sale--kriss-vector-new-put-50-rounds-threw-it"]http://www.armslist....rounds-threw-it[/url] Edited by GoneBallistic
Just sold my M&P 15 today on armslist. I personally like early evenings and walmart parking lots. Particularly near the automotive section. For me it is well lit camera monitored. The auto area has few enough vehicles not to attract unwanted attention while still being in a very visible location. I always text the persons contact info to my wife and write down a plate number. This post reminds me i still need to respond to the emails that hit my inbox while i was out selling it. Edited by c.a.willard

Just sold my M&P 15 today on armslist. I personally like early evenings and walmart parking lots. Particularly near the automotive section. For me it is well lit camera monitored. The auto area has few enough vehicles not to attract unwanted attention while still being in a very visible location. I always text the persons contact info to my wife and write down a plate number. This post reminds me i still need to respond to the emails that hit my inbox while i was out selling it.

So do you have actual personal email addresses from these buyers or does it go through Armslist so nobody has anyones real email?

i notice you're in Lebanon so just a heads up on local meets ... the lebanon gun shop encourages people to meet there for  private sales, they provide a bill of sale and run the numbers on the gun/s to make sure they arent stolen and they dont charge for the service .. i try to meet there for transactions whenever possible 

is you scroll down to the bottom of this page http://www.lebanongunshop.com/policies-services-i-55.html it's under Individual Sales

Edit: lol sorry i got confused the OP isnt in Lebanon .. but yeah that's still my advice find some place similar but close lol 

Edited by JoeJ615