Polish Tantal AK-74

Guest Voodoo_1
Arsenal (Bulgarian)

Vepr (no longer in business)

Vector (Russian)

Valmet (Finnish)

Tantal (Polish)

Some of the cheaper versions (which aren't necessarily 'bad') are the Romanian models imported by Century... These generally have poor fit, luckily that doesn't matter much which AKs

Might I add Armory USA (Lancaster Consulting) to the list. This is the AK I'm looking at for a future purchase.akmb1_6.jpg

The 1.6mm heavy duty stamped receiver is about as close as you can get to being a milled receiver like on higher quality russian AKs. This is a 7.62 x 39 cal. rifle.

Molon, you are absolutely right about the Century Rommy. They are hit or miss as far as getting a good one.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide with going with a 5.45 cal. AK instead of a 7.62 cal. I'm personally going 7.62 to purchase cheap bulk russian (Tiger) ammo and for the power of the projectile. Saving the 5.56 cal. for the AR.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,

I just ordered it and 5 extra Polish steel 30 rounders... I'm going to get some Bulgarian polymer mags too, eventually, since they're cheaper.

The gun & 5 mags = $750 shipped.

The 2-week wait for it to get here will probably just drag by... But it'll give me a chance to square away a case or two of ammo.

Guest Voodoo_1

Congrats on your new Tantal! Sounds like you got an excellent deal with the rifle and the extra mags. You will be so excited that you will definitely need at least a case of ammo to run thru it. Have fun when it comes in and let us know how she does.:up:

I know what you mean by dragging by. It's going to be tough.

So, are you going to leave the factory furnature on it or switch out to a folding stock or anything???

I dislike under-folders on AKs... they snag on stuff and are not very ergonomic. There is one type of side-folder which I might, just might consider:

stocksfull01.jpg

But, we'll see how the solid stock does... if it fits me, I'm going to leave well enough alone.

I'll call ya when I go to pick it up.

I agree, side folders are the way to go if you aren't happy with the solid stock.

Yea, give me a shout and I'll come up there. Maybe mine will come in at about the same time. If you want, we might go out to my property and put a few rounds through it and my new toy. I need to shoot my AR and rezero my EOtech anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
For those of you who are curious about the SIG 556 and did not see my thread....

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=943

ALSO, if you live near Nashville, and want to try out my SIG 556, just PM me and I will be glad to arrange for you to shoot. I only ask, in return, you bring what you have that I may shoot. I love trying new things. :up:

I intend to take you up on that!

As soon as my Tantal AK74 finally arrives (just another week & a half, hopefully), and I can get the packing grease/cosmoline cleaned out of her, I'll be bringing it to the next meetup we all have that way...

:(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Heard anything from them lately??

Latest response (yesterday evening), the president of Atlantic Firearms contacted me himself and said that mine was confirmed on its way to them from the distributor, and was due to arrive at Atlantic on Friday... Which means, depending on their turnaround, that I might have the rifle in my hands by next weekend...

...and I'll be out of town next weekend :up:

Did you see the semi-auto Galil on the wall over there??? Looks nice.

Sigh... yeah, I didn't handle it but I took notice. My only hang-up is that I now have 3160rd of 5.45x39 sitting in my basement which would be useless in the Galil :shrug:

The I'm going to give Atlantic their one last chance to get it to me within a week... I really want this Tantal, or else I wouldn't have waited this long to begin with.

Sigh... yeah, I didn't handle it but I took notice. My only hang-up is that I now have 3160rd of 5.45x39 sitting in my basement which would be useless in the Galil :shrug:

The I'm going to give Atlantic their one last chance to get it to me within a week... I really want this Tantal, or else I wouldn't have waited this long to begin with.

Well, if you want to sell the ammo, I'm betting that labrat would take it off your hands! his AK EATS ammo like tornados eat a trailer park.:D

Well, if you want to sell the ammo, I'm betting that labrat would take it off your hands! his AK EATS ammo like tornados eat a trailer park.:shrug:

I thought his was a 7.62x39?

If this falls through, I will be selling this stuff at my cost (which is cheaper than what someone can buy it for now).

I hope that I don't have to resort to that, though...

Alright! There is yet hope!

:popcorn:

Joe, be looking for me Monday afternoon!

From: ATLANTICFIREARM@aol.com [mailto:ATLANTICFIREARM@aol.com]

Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:32 PM

To: -molonlabetn-

Subject: Re: Order status inquiry

Fixed stock rifles arrived , all orders will ship out Thurs & Fri of this week

Thank You

Atlantic Firearms

Atlantic Firearms ,LLC

10337 Bunting Road

Bishopville MD, 21813

Office # 410 352 5183

Fax # 410 352 3374