Advice for Wife Carry Options

Guest TNSovereignty

Guest TNSovereignty

I don't even have a gun picked out for my dear wife yet ... don't worry - she'll get the final choice!

Issue I'm trying to help with is HOW she'll carry.  She generally dresses in a long skirt, covered by a sweater in the winter and a t-shirt in the summer.  She doesn't wear a belt w/ the skirts, so that's my dilemma ... none of the CrossBreed holsters (which I use) would work without a belt.  So we're considering the potential for ankle carry.  And this, obviously, would limit handgun options.  We're leaning in the direction of the Kahr PM9, but if she likes shooting the .380 better then it will probably be the Sig P232.  So we're talking about a relatively small weapon that will work in an ankle holster.  I want her to carry it on her body - not a purse or fanny pack.  

Do any of y'all have advice/counsel?  Thanks for the assist in bringing another woman into the ccw ranks.  (My 17 yo sharpshooting daughter is right behind her :))

Gender aside, captain obvious sez that smaller and slimmer are easier to carry for anyone.  

Some of my favorites are...

sig p238 and p239.  280 and 9mm respectively, 1911 format in a derringer sized package.  I like the 380 better, the 9 sort of tries too hard to get too much in too little space.

m&p shield.   Very, very nice gun, and if I had not spent all my money on the above, I would get one, and may yet though I don't need another one...

Any of these 3 will fit into a pocket, can probably be pocket carried, would slip in a purse if you want to go there, etc.   You can get smaller but you give up caliber --- that means looking at 32s and 25s etc. or a 2 shot derringer type.   There are some hard to find smaller pieces in 9 and 380, but not having shot them, or even seen them, I can't comment.

Fanny pack, by the way, is ON the body.  Its a combo belt/holster with a disguise, really.   Purse... is not as attached and likely to be set down or grabbed or whatever and is the target of a mugger (the pack too, but lesser degree).  Purse carry is bad IMHO though it has its place for "special occasions".  

Apart from a pocket, purse/pack, ankle.... there is always bra carry and the flashbang thingy.   You should do yourself a favor and research the videos for those :P

Edited by Jonnin

There are a lot of purses out there designed specifically for concealed carry and quick access.

Those are nice, but they create issues at times.   Several times my wife was approached by scammers/beggars and reaching for her purse *encourages* them to get closer as they are expecting a reward.   Reaching for your waistline & saying go away is much more effective (as the wife reports anyway -- I was not there for any of it).   And, as I said, there is the mugger/purse snatcher to worry about as well as setting it down for food etc.   When nothing else will do, the carry purses are awesome. 

Guest TNSovereignty

Thanks for all the input, links, advice.  We have watched the above video together ... that's what got wife thinking about the ankle or thigh holster.  We're going to shop for these options; my challenge is whether to pick the gun & allow that to drive the holster decision, or choose the carry option & let that drive the weapon decision.  If I had my way she'd go with a G26/27 but that's not as likely to go with her everywhere as much as a PM9 or P232.  A lot of the options y'all are proposing would work for a variety of pistols so that's been very helpful.  In other words, I think she'll choose the gun & then we'll decide on how she'll carry it.  We'll have to shop carefully so we don't end up with a closet full of holsters that don't work for her.  

Great video. I have had my Glock26 for a number of years and have not found a comfortable way to carry it. I never carry it in my purse, too easy for someone to grab the purse and run. I wear jeans a lot but without a belt so holsters that need to be on a belt are out. I have been using a fannypack, w/the Glock in the back compartment and my glasses and wallet in the front compartment, that way I do not need to carry a purse while shopping and also when I get my wallet no one can see the handgun. I just read an article that says you should not carry in a fannypack but, while not very attractive, it does serve its purpose. I may look into the ankle holster shown on the video.

Nancy

Edited by robert45
  • 2 weeks later...