Connecticut school shooting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Sugarmann

Josh Sugarmann is the executive director and founder of the Violence Policy Center and was the communications director for the National Coalition to Ban Handguns.

Some credit Sugarmann for coining the term "assault weapon"... Sugarmann uses the term because he argues that a semi-automatic rifle is capable of rapid fire that makes it almost as lethal as a fully automatic firearm such as assault rifles.

[quote name='JayC' timestamp='1355524929' post='860318'] There is no way to implement gun confiscation on a grand scale. However, (hope I'm wrong) but I could see, turn them in or ownership will be a felony, punishable by a $10,000 fine and/or time.   Many sheeple would turn them in.   And many won't, some might even see such a law as the last straw...  banning guns will result in a lot more deaths than was seen in CT today.[/quote] Amen Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

....  Also Conn has its own 'assault weapon ban'. 

Dunno what they restrictions CT has, but hicap mags for pistols or rifles aren't among them.

edit: they're saying now that all the weapons were legally "registered" to the guy's mom. Obviously, a person commandeering another's legal weapon isn't going to be prevented by existing laws, or even by more stringent ones.

Even if you make not securing firearms a crime (which it might already be in CT for all I know, it is some states), punishing the person who let it happen still does not absolutely prevent it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

This is a mental health issue.  Several outlets reporting Asbergers and "another" issue per the murderer's brother.. Neighbors report that he was "odd" & "OCD"

edit to add <sorry for reiteration.  hard to keep up>

Edited by R_Bert

Okay, a little history....

Asperger's Disorder (or Asperger syndrome), a form of Autism falls under Pervasive Developmental Disorders. Children and adults with this syndrome have poor social skills and do not interact with others without direct prompting. It is not a personality disorder.

For a visual think about the movie "Rainman", that is a poor example.

As someone who actually diagnosis mental health disorders, including Autism and Asperger's, I warn you not to believe initial reports.

There MAY have been a misunderstanding or misspronounciation for Antisocial personality disorder. That is a personality disorder that show disregard for others, and patterns of criminal activity.

One other item.... Asperger's is sometimes misdiagnosed for Schizophrenia.....

Edited by MississippiBoy
  • Like 1

With 3 kids in elementary school myself this hit me in the gut (hard). What huge POS that can do this to young kids.

With Obama holding back tears in his news speech I think we are in for some serious gun bans quickly.

Interested to hear WTF the 24 yo brother was doing in the woods? Was he supoose to be on the bushmaster as they came out?

At a local level, we can encourage our sheriff's to deputize certain teachers, principals, other responsible school workers to help protect children.  We already have the law in TN to do it to protect our kids.  IF the DA's are deputized to protect themselves and friends of the sheriffs, why not some school workers to protect kids? 

With 3 kids in elementary school myself this hit me in the gut (hard). What huge POS that can do this to young kids.

With Obama holding back tears in his news speech I think we are in for some serious gun bans quickly.

Interested to hear WTF the 24 yo brother was doing in the woods? Was he supoose to be on the bushmaster as they came out?

The latest report I saw -- Brother was in NJ, not at the scene.  Brother is fully co-operating, FB even reinstated his facebook page.  It was also being widely reported that both the Father and Brother had nothing to do with this.  Both seem to be giving authorities more info on the 20 year old and his mental health/status.

These firearms were legally owned/registered by the perp's mother.  Therefore, the son *Stole* them and used them.  He committed several felonies PRIOR to actually killing anyone. 

We're back at the fact that these firearms weren't legally owned & operated by the perp.  They were stolen, just like thugs get ahold of stolen firearms on the street.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

For anyone wondering about CT's laws, take a look here. In determining how "gun friendly" a state is, I usually just look to the Brady Bunch:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard/CT/

I am not 100% sure, but I thought earlier today CT was ranked by the BB as #4 in the country. Now a #5? I am not 100% sure of this.

CT has pretty restrictive requirements for purchasing firearms compared to TN. There they also apparently have "closed most of the gunshow loopholes". Also, to further comment on one of my earlier posts, I believe the shooter was 20 and his brother is 24. Why was the brother allegedly at the school? That is something that I am sure many of us would like to know. 

I forgot to ask,  Did anyone hear how he managed to get a gun into a gun free zone?  I thought your guns like vanished or something after you stepped foot into the zone, thus rendering it safe.

Sorry, I just finished arguing with some folks about that for around thirty minutes.

• Like 1

Wonder if this school had a SRO. I know my kids elementary school (Maury County) has an older but still active Sheriffs Officer that carries. Most days he just helps open milks in the cafeteria. LOL

Earlier they reported the 24 yo brother was hiding in the woods. They took him into custody at the scene.

Edited by Dad03

Sad to hear this, i heard it all earlier today and just after the media rapped up it's report on the "Mall" shooting. Looks like the antis are gathering up their ammo for a full fledged war on guns. Yes, they'll always attack an in-animate object before attacking the sick individual who perpetuated the crime. Blame the object which cannot defend itself ( without a person) and not society or other factors that contribute to the person's decision to kill innocent people.

Killing kids is the most heartless, selfish act one can do.

• Moderators

These firearms were legally owned/registered by the perp's mother.  Therefore, the son *Stole* them and used them.  He committed several felonies PRIOR to actually killing anyone. 

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the purchases for the firearms were arguably straw purchases by the mother for the son/s. A Glock, Sig, and AR-15 by a CT female teacher? It may come out that she was an avid sportswoman, but in my line of thinking I would say that the typical mother that simply wishes to protect her family would purchase one firearm for the home and consider it enough. 

I say that she purchased the weapons for her son/s because they were interested in guns but were not old enough to purchase them for themselves at the time of purchase.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the purchases for the firearms were arguably straw purchases by the mother for the son/s. A Glock, Sig, and AR-15 by a CT female teacher? It may come out that she was an avid sportswoman, but in my line of thinking I would say that the typical mother that simply wishes to protect her family would purchase one firearm for the home and consider it enough. 

I say that she purchased the weapons for her son/s because they were interested in guns but were not old enough to purchase them for themselves at the time of purchase.

Good call CZ, and I'd agree ...

Perhaps the rifle belonged to the perp's brother (24 yr old)

Israel.

As many others have said, this is just horrible.

This is what needs to happen. Arm every teacher and train them well.

The only thing the police can do is come investigate the crime scene and identify the corpses because they can't be everywhere a crime is happening; 95% of the time they arrive after the crime has taken place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by JohnC

There will always be a segment of society who don't have a respect or understand life or the consequences. Even

though this is being politicized already, it won't help the problem within that segment. If you never learned anything

about the consequences of your actions, or were unable to by having a mental disability, or using certain prescription

drugs, you may end up like this kid who did this carnage. Somehow, if this 20 y/o had any of the above and had no

understanding of life and death, or just plain wasn't able to differentiate life from some kind of virtual life where there

are no consequences, this could be what happens.

I think the kid had some serious mental issues. Guns were only tools. For some reason, this kid had a death wish and

wanted to punish someone before experiencing the end himself.

If the government tries to do some kind of gun ban, it won't change anything except hurt everyone else by keeping

legitimate gun owners from protecting themselves.

This kind of thing could happen with an axe or a knife, and could happen anytime.

Good call. One handgun, yeah, I could see a single woman having a firearm for home defense, but three? And one of them a bushmaster (by some reports). That's really not a firearm you see many women buying. I know that there are probably a few women into AR-15 type guns, but not many. It's really more appealing to young men.

Edited by jgradyc

At a local level, we can encourage our sheriff's to deputize certain teachers, principals, other responsible school workers to help protect children.  We already have the law in TN to do it to protect our kids.  IF the DA's are deputized to protect themselves and friends of the sheriffs, why not some school workers to protect kids? 

We don't need a 'special' class for teachers, any law abiding adult should be allowed to carry while on public school property (if private schools wish to post that is their business).  

Good call CZ, and I'd agree ...

Perhaps the rifle belonged to the perp's brother (24 yr old)

So you think she bought guns for either or both? She may have bought one for the 24 y/o as a gift but if she bought

one for the 20 y/o, she would be complicit since she should have known the kid was a mental defect. I doubt straw

buying has anything to do with it. Complicit not necessarily legally, but since she was his mother, she should have

known something about her kid with something like this.

I wouldn't pass judgement...  my wife owns 2 out of three (and owns a lot more than 3 firearms total) of those guns, and she bought them herself, including an Armalite AR.  Times are changing it's not uncommon to see more and more women purchasing AR's and other firearms for self defense.

• Like 1