Connecticut school shooting

Hate to say if but this is going to be used as the beginning to the end of gun ownership. Once small children have been killed emotions take over. This was the same type of event in both Australia and England for their sweeping gun control. I hope it doesn't but I suspect this might be too much.

Dolomite

I can only hope that the people who actually make the descisions can keep a level head long enough to realize that any amount of gun control would not have avoided this. If they didn't have guns they could have just blown up the whole place. In a way, this should be the final straw. We need to communicate to our leaders that we've had enough of being disarmed and made helpless in "gun free" zones like this. We need to communicate to our leaders that the only way to avoid these types of tragedies in the future is to not have fewer guns, but to stop removing guns from the hands of responsible and trained citizens in "gun free" zones such as these. This is the only way that maniacs like this can be put down before they can cause so much damage. This is the message I will politely communicate to those I will surely have the "What do you think about guns now huh?" conversations with and I hope that those of you who feel the same way will respond as such.

Edited by gnmwilliams
  • Like 1
Guest Pineapple Devil

cbs news: the bullet coming out of an ar15 is a much larger bullet than what you would see coming out of a handgun

aaaaaaaaaand here we gooo

the colorado shooting is what woke me up and made me get my carry permit.

this shooting absolutely breaks my heart. with three small children myself, i cannot imagine the pain and grief facing these parents.

may God bless you and your and your family and keep his gentle hands on you during this time. while no immediate comfort, know that your child is perfectly safe and happy with their heavenly father. my family's thoughts are with you.

From Foxnews:

One other thing:  Those who call for gun control after incidents like this contribute nothing to the solution.  Gunmen like Friday’s plan their actions, right down to wearing military garb.  They could certainly procure illegal firearms or use incendiary devices to kill.  I only wish the kindergarten teacher and principal in Connecticut had been armed.

Dr. Keith Ablow is a psychiatrist and member of the Fox News Medical A-Team. Dr. Ablow can be reached at info@keithablow.com

I disagree that this will be the beginning of the end of gun ownership.  I don't see many (or any) of the millions of new gun owners over the last few years just turning in their weapons because of today.  As more and more people buy guns, and more states issue some form of carry, violent crime is decreasing.  People know this.  Congress knows it. The U.S. Supreme Court knows it.  This is just an extremely raw event, emotionally.  But time does heal, and hopefully logic will prevail.  (Of course the usual anti-gun media outlets and politicians will always be there.)

I don't make too many predictions, but if I owned a gun store I'd be calling in extra help for tomorrow.  It will be a busy day, coast to coast. 

• Like 7

I pray for the families thjat have lost children. The left will use this to come after the law abiding gun owners. The second amendment will be killed all for our own good. I think America as we knew it is dead. It is sad that as the left has diminished faith in the public square this sort of attack has gotten worse and worse. Take faith and religion out of the public discourse and evil steps in. You can not have a vaccum.

Edited by zgunbear
  • Like 2

I am always amazed that we guard our banks, our federal buildings, our airports...but we leave our most helpless with no protection at all.  Prayers for the families.

That's because the govt will spend money to protect their money, but not people. You know if schools don't have enough money for new books aren't going to get funding for extra security. It's such a shame & my prayers go to the families.

I have two boys, ages 2 & 6 and my wife is going to college to become a middle school teacher. Some schools have considered allowing teachers to go through tactical training courses and having electronic safes for access to firearms in case of an emergency like this, but it's unlikely the govt will ever allow it. They would rather take guns from the hands of the law abiding citizens.

I am always amazed that we guard our banks, our federal buildings, our airports...but we leave our most helpless with no protection at all.  Prayers for the families.

Do they not have school resource officers there?  Apparently not.  Seems like most schools around here have one.  Maybe it's just high schools. 

Wow, sounds like many of you have already given up. Do you really think that all the progress we've made in the past few years is going to just disappear because of this?

Let's not let our emotions get the best of us; that's what the gun grabbers are going to do. Let's continue to articulate facts in a calm and rational manner. We must be prepared to counter the propaganda that will surely come from the MSM. Our friends and acquaintances who are on the fence about this are looking to us to provide some factual information. They may not tell us that, but they are.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 7

CBS News has identified the shooter as a Ryan Lanza.  The person that has been found dead in a residence, connected to him, may be his mother, who is a teacher at this school. And at least some of those dead were in her class.

Edited by Moped

I disagree that this will be the beginning of the end of gun ownership.  I don't see many (or any) of the millions of new gun owners over the last few years just turning in their weapons because of today.  As more and more people buy guns, and more states issue some form of carry, violent crime is decreasing.  People know this.  Congress knows it. The U.S. Supreme Court knows it.  This is just an extremely raw event, emotionally.  But time does heal, and hopefully logic will prevail.  (Of course the usual anti-gun media outlets and politicians will always be there.)

I don't make too many predictions, but if I owned a gun store I'd be calling in extra help for tomorrow.  It will be a busy day, coast to coast. 

I'm with this guy :up:

^^^^^^^   

Yup. This

• Like 1
Guest sventvkg

I'm horrified, shocked, angry..I want to go out and start targeting criminals as a trend..But of course I won't...

AND, of course this shooting follows the trend of almost exclusively all mass shootings happening in Gun Free victim disarmament zones......

I'm really concerned about schools..Universities especially should proudly ENCOURAGE their law abiding citizens to carry. You'll NEVER see a mass shooting at one again..I'd bet my life.

I honestly don't know what's to be done now..You can't have M4 brandishing soldiers hanging out in schools..I'm not going to live in a a country with soldiers on the street or militarized police in body armor with automatic weapons......

How do we hope to make our children safer without stepping on our rights?

• Admin Team

From the best speech he ever gave.  Some words that comforted me in the days after September 11 and that I carry as a remembrance to this day.  From one of our underratted theologians, George W. Bush

our wounds as a people are recent and unhealed and lead us to pray. In many of our prayers this week, there is a searching and an honesty. At St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York on Tuesday, a woman said, "I prayed to God to give us a sign that He is still here." Others have prayed for the same, searching hospital to hospital, carrying pictures of those still missing.

God's signs are not always the ones we look for. We learn in tragedy that his purposes are not always our own. Yet, the prayers of private suffering, whether in our homes or in this great cathedral, are known and heard and understood.

There are prayers that help us last through the day or endure the night. There are prayers of friends and strangers that give us strength for the journey. And there are prayers that yield our will to a will greater than our own.

This world He created is of moral design. Grief and tragedy and hatred are only for a time. Goodness, remembrance, and love have no end. And the Lord of life holds all who die and all who mourn.

America is a nation full of good fortune, with so much to be grateful for. But we are not spared from suffering. In every generation, the world has produced enemies of human freedom. They have attacked America because we are freedom's home and defender. And the commitment of our fathers is now the calling of our time.

On this National Day of Prayer and Remembrance, we ask Almighty God to watch over our Nation and grant us patience and resolve in all that is to come. We pray that He will comfort and console those who now walk in sorrow. We thank Him for each life we now must mourn and the promise of a life to come.

As we have been assured, neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, can separate us from God's love. 

May He bless the souls of the departed. May He comfort our own, and may He always guide our country.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

I am very curious about what news may come of this. What caused a 20 year old male to do this? What hatred was created in his mind? Killing his mother before going to attack the very school she worked at? If we ever truly discover what caused this madman to go to such lengths, it will be just as twisted a story as any ever.

For anyone interested, check out the Brady Site. For one, I found this in regards to CT:

Connecticut has strong gun laws that help combat the illegal gun market, prevent the sale of most guns without background checks and reduce risks to children, according to the Brady Campaign. In the organization’s 2009 state scorecards released for all 50 states, Connecticut earned 53 points out of a total of 100 and has the nation’s fourth strongest gun laws. 

“Connecticut has done more than most states to combat illegal guns and has worked to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people.  In fact, Connecticut has a one-of-a-kind law that allows a judge to remove guns from people who have been determined to be a threat to themselves or others,” said Ron Pinciaro, President of CT Against Gun Violence.

CBS News is reporting that the Principal and Lanza got into a shouting match and that someone in the office tripped the intercom system for the school and the argument was heard throughout the school. Some one was thinking!  They were warning the teachers that something was wrong and many of the teachers immediately locked down their classrooms.

Also Lanza had no criminal record... or at least one hasn't been found yet.

Edited by Moped
Wonder why this sort of thing doesn't happen in Israel?

Oh yeah! All the teachers over there are required to qualify and carry a weapon. How many of these precious little ones could have been saved by one teacher with a Glock 19?
Oh, you can't say that! That would make too much sense and wouldn't be fair to potential murderers. This country I'd f'd up and sick. Lack of spine and testicular fortitude on the part of citizens as a whole is the reason this crap happens.

I hope this guy is in hell getting butt raped with a pineapple. God! How many Christmas trees have gifts under them that won't be getting opened.
  • Like 6

Normally I brush it off when people say an incident will bring on gun control. Now, this, coupled with everything else that's happened recently, I can fairly safely say, will be the last straw.

I agree. Soon you're going to have to be Cop or soldier to look at a firearm.

Hate to say if but this is going to be used as the beginning to the end of gun ownership. Once small children have been killed emotions take over. This was the same type of event in both Australia and England for their sweeping gun control. I hope it doesn't but I suspect this might be too much.

Dolomite

I wish I didn't agree with you...I truly do but I think I have to.

There has never been a doubt in my mind that in a second term, Obama will go after our guns as completely and absolutely as he possibly can. This event gives him what he needs to go further and be even more blatant about it,

I don't expect he'll go after the 2A with a frontal assault but rather, he'll do it through executive orders and "rules" from his parrots in such cabinet agencies as Health and Human Services, Homeland Security, and others. They'll control size of magazines, "allowable accessories", control over the materials used in ammunition, "gasses" allowed to be expelled when a cartridge is discharged and probably 100 other ways I can't even think of at the moment.  Congress won't be able to stop it because none of it will go through Congress.

I don't know if it can be stopped now...this tragedy is almost beyond anyone's comprehension. Soon, being "anti-gun control" or "pro-firearms" will be synonymous with being pro-child murder.

• Like 2