Connecticut school shooting

A locked door and armed security would prevent almost all of these type of tragedies.

I agree,  how could someone just waltz into the school grounds.  Parents should have access to their children at school, but shouldn't be able to walk in unchecked.  

Most schools are loosing their resource officers over budget cuts.  

enough already, This is just plain crazy and yes as stated "we may be in for some tough times"

Maybe. Fact is, this happened in a state with stout gun control. One could argue that it ain't real effective when it comes down to it. Happened in a gun free zone to boot.

I actually would see the opposite argument going down. "See, we have strict control and it didn't work. We need more control."

I actually would see the opposite argument going down. "See, we have strict control and it didn't work. We need more control."

While that argument seems sensible to me, that will not be what will be hammered on by the Press in this country.

Assumptions about gun laws aside. Remember the families that lost their loved ones and the first responders who walked into a room of children who had been shot to death.

As a mental health counselor I knowthe the effects will be far reaching for these people. I am sitting here holding my 5 month old asleep in my arms with tears in my eyes for this tragedy. God help them.
  • Like 6
  • Moderators

I honestly don't know what's to be done now..You can't have M4 brandishing soldiers hanging out in schools..I'm not going to live in a a country with soldiers on the street or militarized police in body armor with automatic weapons......

I too find it funny how many people that would be very upset if we were locked in our homes at night with police on patrol around the neighborhood "protecting" us at night are also sometimes the same people that ask that we place armed guards at our schools and lock the doors. Different side of the same police state coin?

I know that in Cleveland, TN, there are quite a few responsible teachers at each school I went to. I remember while I was in elementary school, the principal had all the students go to the gymnasium so that he could speak to them about gun safety not gun control. He had a few officers there and also a firearm or two. He was very respectful of them, and even spoke about how what rifles would be good for someone's first. If he had wanted to get his HCP, I would be just as comfortable with him having a firearm on school grounds as I would be an officer. Please note that the guidance counselor and principal were both killed in CT. Surely one of the administrative adults in the office would have been responsible enough for a firearm? 

In all my years of primary education, I can think of at least a few teachers at each school that I would not worry about at all having a firearm on campus. I also argue that if you continue to college you should be allowed to conceal if you have a HCP. I am very saddened by the news from CT, my heart weeps for those that have been affected by this, but in the spirit of freedom I argue that tragedies such as these are a small price to pay for true freedom. Like others have pointed out, many more than 18 people will die today due to automobile accidents. You don't see people fight for automobiles being banned. Actually, it is customary that we give keys to kids at the age of 16. I can remember several classmates I went to high school with that died while driving (irresponsibly). Those deaths could have been prevented if we had simply banned automobiles! But automobiles are here to stay, and those deaths are [preventable] "accidents". They are written off as "a cost of freedom". 

I ask the question as to whether any states allow for parents/teachers to conceal while on the premises? I found this about Alabama, and I think it is translated to yes

Premises of a public school. The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school 
composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12 
(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do 
bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school. 
(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in 
violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony. 
(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to 
Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section

That's the way weapon laws should be worded: It is illegal to carry or possess a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm. Because all other wordings fail miserably at preventing any real crime and actually encourage it.

How? If the media was correct in stating he was 20, I believe that is impossible in the state of Connecticut.  But the media has been wrong at least once.

I've been listening to NBC & I wish these guys would get some facts confirmed before going on air about it. So far they've said the shooter was 20 & now they're saying he was 24. They said his mother was one of the teachers he killed at the school and then they said one of his parents was found at home. Now they say they'renot sure. Then they said there was a second person involved. Now they say they were wrong about a second person. Now they're saying he carried two pistols & a rifle & had other guns in his vehicle. In between the announcements, they keep interviewing people pushing gun control. The media needs to slow down and quit gossiping until they get some facts straight. Right now about half of what NBC has announced has been hearsay, not facts. This is a tragic event and IMO needs to be handled in a more respectful manner by the media.

Edited by luvmyberetta
  • Administrator

Well, you guys can go ahead and turn yours in if you want. Not me.

Wow.  I don't think anyone in this thread has said that they plan to turn in their guns tomorrow in light of this tragic event.  Why don't you stop over-sensationalizing things (much like the media), skip the role of TGO's Internet Bully, and just treat your fellow members decently for a while?

• Like 3

Wow.  I don't think anyone in this thread has said that they plan to turn in their guns tomorrow in light of this tragic event.  Why don't you stop over-sensationalizing things (much like the media), skip the role of TGO's Internet Bully, and just treat your fellow members decently for a while?

I'm really surprised at this reaction. I was not aware in the least that I was being a bully or that I was mistreating anyone. If that's the case, why didn't you say something before now, and by PM?

Assumptions about gun laws aside. Remember the families that lost their loved ones and the first responders who walked into a room of children who had been shot to death.

As a mental health counselor I knowthe the effects will be far reaching for these people. I am sitting here holding my 5 month old asleep in my arms with tears in my eyes for this tragedy. God help them.

You're right...we should not and should never lose sight of that.  I can't even imagine what the parents and families who lost children/loved ones this morning are feeling...there just aren't any words.

Its truly sad that anyone would carry out such acts aganist anyone no matter age. Prayers are with the families of those affected by this event there. There world is full of "cant get right" people always have and always will be. Yes it will be wood for the fire for further gun control used by the anti-gun. But they need to back up and punt and look at where these acts are taking place espically the ones plastered all over gossip channels is in gun free zones and most time in places that have some of the strictist gun control already. But sometimes trying to point out the common sense of the problem to the anti gun is like trying to pull hens teeth.

The reports on the facts and the numbers and ages and relationships of the dead will not settle down and stabilize for a day or two. It is always been like that. "The first reports from the field are always inaccurate."

yep, its the race to be first, not the race to be correct

• Like 1

The reports on the facts and the numbers and ages and relationships of the dead will not settle down and stabilize for a day or two. It is always been like that. "The first reports from the field are always inaccurate."

True just like the report posted saying hes was 24 armed with 4 weapons and a bullet proof vest which will end up being more that likely a tac vest of some sort.

• Administrator

I'm really surprised at this reaction. I was not aware in the least that I was being a bully or that I was mistreating anyone. If that's the case, why didn't you say something before now, and by PM?

Sure.  Let's pretend that you don't have a history here.

Emotions are always a little high after reports such as these.

"Settle down Francis" probably should apply to all.

I am going to closely follow the angle in the story about the reported 24-year old son (or potentially the 20-year old son) perpetrator killing his teacher mother and members of her class.

Was he under medical treatment? What was the nature of his injuries? Who was his doctor and what treatment was he receiving?

Was he under mental health treatment? What was the nature of his mental health? Was he taking medications or did he stop taking medications? Who was his doctor and what treatment was he receiving?

What was the relationship with his mother such that he killed her? Was the mother socially or politically active?

What was the relationship with his father, and is his father dead, and under what circumstances? Was the father socially or politically active?

What was the relationship with his brother, and is his brother dead, and under what circumstances? Was his brother socially or politically active? Was his brother military, a college graduate, employed, have a girl-friend, have a wife?

Was he still living at home? Had he always been living at home? Was he politically active?

Was he in the military and if so, was he still in the military? If he was in the military and is not now, under what circumstances did he leave the military?

Did he go to college? Did he graduate, and if he did, what was he studying?

Did he have a job? Did he lose his job and under what circumstances?

Did he have a girlfriend? Did they break up and under what circumstances?

Was he married? If married, did the marriage last or end, and if it ended, under what circumstances?

We need to know the answers to these questions, and if the media does not supply the answers to these basic questions, then something is up, that is, the answers don't match the media's chosen political narrative. I actually expect this.

Edited by QuietDan