Thompson 45 SMG Copy

Guest Centennial

Guest Centennial

A friend has a semi-auto copy of the Thompson 45 ACP sub gun for sale. It was made by Intratec (sp) in Knoxville. The rifle is in great shape but has no magazines. His price seems okay ($200) but I'd like to hear from anyone who has had experience with this type firearm. Is the quality acceptable? Are they still in production? What is a "ball park" value for one? What type of magazines does one take? I'm just interested in this gun as a plinker. Any info appreciated!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no experience with the Intratec guns. I know Auto Ordnance is making copies for like $800+.

I dont understand the appeal of this. They were OK post WW1 as a "trench broom" in full auto. By WW2 they were obsolescent as the M1 carbine became more popular and by Korea hardly anyone had one. And as a semi auto it has even less appeal.

But $200 for a plinker isn't a bad deal. I'd assume it would take standard Thomson mags. I could be wrong too.

They were made here in Knoxville by at least two companies. Intratec was one of them. Volunteer Arms was another. I don't think they'e been made in a long time though. Parts could be had to come by if it breaks down. I might add that it's not an exact copy. It just sorta looks like a Thompson. $200 sounds like a fair price for one to me. I'm not really sure about the quality though. :P

I'm not sure where you'd find mags, thought if I were a betting man, I'd say they either take Thompson mags or M3 mags. I think when these things were built that was what was available. But I couldn't be sure.

Does it look like the picture here?

http://hometown.aol.com/jtjersey/Mark45/Mark45.html

Edited by Moped
Guest darkstar

I have seen the ones made by volunteer arms and have had a chance to fire one. I gotta say don't waste your money. The one I fired had problems with every round stovepiping. We tried everything to get it right and nothing worked. It looks and feels cheap. Half the thing is plastic. Of course that was only one gun so maybe others are better, but that one bad experience has sullied my opinion of those things.

I have seen the ones made by volunteer arms and have had a chance to fire one. I gotta say don't waste your money. The one I fired had problems with every round stovepiping. We tried everything to get it right and nothing worked. It looks and feels cheap. Half the thing is plastic. Of course that was only one gun so maybe others are better, but that one bad experience has sullied my opinion of those things.

I have to say I agree. They look neater than they run. And from what I remember they do not use the same mags as the Thompson or anything else for that matter.

I owned one for several years and traded it to a guy for a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2"bbl. i got the better end of that deal... In fact he tossed in some cash to boot.

Guest Centennial

Guys,

Thanks for the replys. A co-worker has the rifle and brought it to work today for me to look over. It is a Volunteer Mark III, not an Intratec, as I was told over the phone a few days ago. I wasn't impressed with the gun, and decided to pass, as another employee REALLY wanted it. That suited me, and with the input I just read, I don't regret the decision at all. I hope it works okay for him....

Thanks again!