'Bout brought a tear to my eye...

My wife is a great girl and except for saying yes to me 20 years ago usually makes good decisions. She also is a go to the grocery store 3-4 times per week person. It used to drive me crazy but I quit trying to tilt at that particular windmill a long time ago.

A while back I asked her to help me start storing a few things like emergency water etc. Her response was to make sure I always had a case of bottled water.

About a year back she got blindsided by some unexpected health issues and we made the decision to buy as much locally grown food as possible and to quit buying canned food as much as possible. That led us to shopping at the local farmers market and then led us to learn about canning and other forms of food preservation.

As a result we are eating better food and slowly growing our reserves. No one would ever confuse us for preppers but we have a couple of months of good food available and now only go to the store a couple of times a month.

I was piddling with some project yesterday when my wife walked in and asked me if we had enough water stored for a reasonable emergency. I told we did not. She then asked what was I planning on doing about it?

I just smiled...

We will be in much better shape by this weekend.

Mark
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Guest GhostHunter

I keep my emergency water stored in the garage, in twelve 4 gallon translucent plastic containers. The containers came from a food plant that I worked at and had originally contained vinegar. I rinsed and cleaned them thoroughly, added a capful of bleach to each one, and filled them with filtered water from the kitchen sink. I mark them with the date and every six months, I pour them out into the dog watering trough and refill them. A 55 gallon drum and hand pump would be nice, but I have no place to store it. The smaller containers work best for me, and they can be loaded into a vehicle easier if they need to be.  Cleaned and sanitized milk jugs would work in an emergency...

NOTE:If you use this type of container, keep them out of direct sunlight as the UV will make them brittle over time...

Just my two cents....

• 3 weeks later...

I keep my emergency water stored in the garage, in twelve 4 gallon translucent plastic containers. The containers came from a food plant that I worked at and had originally contained vinegar. I rinsed and cleaned them thoroughly, added a capful of bleach to each one, and filled them with filtered water from the kitchen sink. I mark them with the date and every six months, I pour them out into the dog watering trough and refill them. A 55 gallon drum and hand pump would be nice, but I have no place to store it. The smaller containers work best for me, and they can be loaded into a vehicle easier if they need to be.  Cleaned and sanitized milk jugs would work in an emergency...

NOTE:If you use this type of container, keep them out of direct sunlight as the UV will make them brittle over time...

Just my two cents....

Does it go bad this fast, or are you just like me and paranoid? :)

• Like 1