For those of you who support the NRA....

Guest sventvkg

I'm an NRA man myself. No gun organization out there is going to stop what is fixing to get handed to us. Of all the evils knocking at our doors, the least would be a 3 round clip limit on any and every gun we own. Better than lossing my guns I guess!

Dave S

• Like 2

Joined the NRA yesterday. That's my "statement" on the recent discussions by liberal, Northeast and CA lawmakers to control gun rights.

In my opinion, some of the NRA "A" List Democrats may be posturing since any gun control changes would need to get through the Republican controlled House of Representatives (which won't happen). I personally don't see that any changes will occur other than possibly tightening background checks and eliminating the "gun show" sales loophole.

Edited by mcrichar
  • Like 2
I'm an NRA man myself. No gun organization out there is going to stop what is fixing to get handed to us. Of all the evils knocking at our doors, the least would be a 3 round clip limit on any and every gun we own. Better than lossing my guns I guess!

Dave S

I would not mention anything about round limits. Seems Ruger mentioned it once and screwed a lot of people in the process.

Dolomite

I would not mention anything about round limits. Seems Ruger mentioned it once and screwed a lot of people in the process.

Dolomite

I understand that. But would that be the least of our problems, compared to what some are talking?

Dave S

Better than lossing my guns I guess!

Dave S

With that kind of thinking one day you'll look around and wonder what happened to your guns.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, stop reacting like a sheep and start thinking like a lion.

The fight we are about to find ourselves in is not about us and our rights, it's about our children/grandchildren and their rights.
  • Like 7

NRA sure has its shortcomings, but overall, the sheer amount of money they are able to throw at the gun rights issue has to help some.  Do they always get it right? Of course not.  Mistakes are made.  Overall, I think they are a worthwhile organization.  Thats not to say that there are not other viable ones as well.  I am a life member.  I want to join the TFA soon so as to get more local (TN) help.

Edited by barewoolf
  • Like 5

ummm

I think NRA is showing decorum in remaining silent on the subject for a few days.  The agenda has not changed, and will smooth out in a week or so, just like the last few events.  That will be the time to have collected, collated, and organized their presentation of facts and path forward....*after* some time for mourning, and *after* the libtards have blown their wad

They have nothing to gain by speaking too soon, and there are plenty of folks getting good messages out in triage.

I would expect them to them to be more vocal after the dead are buried, in order to keep the focus in the right places..

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 6

Gee...another thread complaining about the NRA...color me shocked,

I'm a life member, and proud of it.  I contribute to their legislative action as well since membership fees don't go to support legislative actions. No one here or probably anywhere have ever said the NRA is perfect and unless Jesus takes over and gets rid of all the people it never will be perfect.

If people care about their second amendment rights then they need to join every pro-2A organization they can find including the NRA, the GOA, the USCCA, their state organization (TFA here) and more...stop complaining on the interned and get involved.

Complaining about what the NRA or other organizations are or aren't doing when you aren't a member is pretty much the same as complaining about the results of elections when you were eligible to vote but couldn't bother yourself to get to the polls.

As to the "A" rating; I guess some, like the author of this article, don't understand that a current rating is based on PAST actions; current and future actions will be rated accordingly as happened to Maggart.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 2

I'm a life member, and proud of it.  I contribute to their legislative action as well since membership fees don't go to support legislative actions. No one here or probably anywhere have ever said the NRA is perfect and unless Jesus takes over and gets rid of all the people it never will be perfect.

If people care about their second amendment rights then they need to join every pro-2A organization they can find including the NRA, the GOA, the USCCA, their state organization (TFA here) and more...stop complaining on the interned and get involved.

Complaining about what the NRA or other organizations are or aren't doing when you aren't a member is pretty much the same as complaining about the results of elections when you were eligible to vote but couldn't bother yourself to get to the polls.

As to the "A" rating; I guess some, like the author of this article, don't understand that a current rating is based on PAST actions; current and future actions will be rated accordingly as happened to Maggart.

The NRA helped write the Maryland handgun ban. The NRA SHOULD NOT compromise. It is like telling a rapist to wear a condom.

Working on this right now.

...hate to be the noob, again, but would someone mind posting some links? I'm currently viewing NRA and TFA.

Thanks

I will re-new my NRA membership this morning! It will be a Christmas present to myself!

Dave S

They probably will copy the California AW laws. Ten round magazine limit, and the "bullet button"-"I think that is the correct name, not sure"! 

The NRA should not waiver a single inch. Everyone here knows that if you give the anti-gun Lib's an inch they will try to take a mile. If anything, the NRA should make an effort to expand gun rights and gun ownership after this. Criminals like unarmed victims. That sick bastard killed 20 little kids. If those teachers had been armed he would be dead and those kids would be enjoying Christmas with their families.
  • Like 5

Like'em or not, they are the 800 pound gorilla in DC and without them the other pro gun organizations would have very limited ability to make anything happen.

Keeping our powder dry at this point seems a prudent measure. Emotions are so inflamed that no logical answer can be agreed upon regardless of what it has to do with-- guns, mental health, poor school security, society in general etc.

The best thing each of us can do is be familiar with the facts and calmly espouse them if we're in a position to do so. Standing on a soap box will come later.

The NRA helped write the Maryland handgun ban. The NRA SHOULD NOT compromise. It is like telling a rapist to wear a condom.

So? Were you living in Maryland at the time?  What was the political climate at the time (i.e. was something going to be passed whether the NRA got involved or not)? Do we really want to only have gun-hating liberals writing gun control laws or do we want some involvement from groups that may have another opinion/goal?

Not compromise?

Really?

Not compromising always sounds tough...the reality is that without compromise the one not willing to do so gets NOTHING.  We appear to have had a couple of million conservative voters sit out the last election because they weren't willing to compromise because Romney wasn't enough of "this" or wasn't enough of "that" or wasn't Ron Paul (at least that's the conventional wisdom in hindsight)...how's that lack of compromise working out so far? :screwy:

By the way, were I a woman and I knew I was about to be raped you are damn right I'd want the rapist to wear a condom.

Edited by RobertNashville
Working on this right now.

...hate to be the noob, again, but would someone mind posting some links? I'm currently viewing NRA and TFA.

Thanks

A Google search will find most of them and often if you find one there will be links to others but here are a couple...

GOA (Gun Owners of America) http://www.gunowners.org/

USCCA (United States Concealed Carry Association) http://www.usconcealedcarry.net/

the NRA allowed and even encouraged MANY, maybe even MOST of the current gun laws....   they are slightly better now, but they are not to be trusted, esp their "A" listed politicians, half of those are anti gun at heart.

Please tell me which organization...ANY organization created around any issue that is perfect?

Are you spending time in Nashville or Washington D.C. when the legislature/Congress is in session to make sure your ideas and concerns are made known?  Do you spend time with the legislators who actually write and vote on these laws to help them come around to your viewpoint?

We ALL know the NRA isn't perfect but I haven't heard anyone say they are.

We can ignore these organizations if we want but if we do then we might as well go hide in our closets and hope that they don't come after our guns.

Always the 2 extremes.  I can (and do) support the NRA with my money, but they could have done a lot better and can do a lot better.  Its a single issue, and there is no compromise on it.  How hard is that?   They are doing better than they were.  But the damage remains and it creates hassle for every one of us every time we buy a gun.

Did someone say we should compromise?

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2010/09/ok-ill-play.html

Since what you consider to be reasonable isn't even in the same plane of reality with what I consider reasonable, probably not.

Allow me to explain.

I hear a lot about "compromise" from your camp ... except, it's not compromise.

Let's say I have this cake. It is a very nice cake, with "GUN RIGHTS" written across the top in lovely floral icing. Along you come and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise. Give me half." I respond by asking what I get out of this compromise, and you reply that I get to keep half of my cake.

Okay, we compromise. Let us call this compromise The National Firearms Act of 1934.

There I am with my half of the cake, and you walk back up and say, "Give me that cake."

I say, "No, it's my cake."

You say, "Let's compromise." What do I get out of this compromise? Why, I get to keep half of what's left of the cake I already own.

So, we have your compromise -- let us call this one the Gun Control Act of 1968 -- and I'm left holding what is now just a quarter of my cake.

And I'm sitting in the corner with my quarter piece of cake, and here you come again. You want my cake. Again.

This time you take several bites -- we'll call this compromise the Clinton Executive Orders -- and I'm left with about a tenth of what has always been MY DAMN CAKE and you've got nine-tenths of it.

Then we compromised with the Lautenberg Act (nibble, nibble), the HUD/Smith and Wesson agreement (nibble, nibble), the Brady Law (NOM NOM NOM), the School Safety and Law Enforcement Improvement Act (sweet tap-dancing Freyja, my finger!)

I'm left holding crumbs of what was once a large and satisfying cake, and you're standing there with most of MY CAKE, making anime eyes and whining about being "reasonable", and wondering "why we won't compromise".

I'm done with being reasonable, and I'm done with compromise. Nothing about gun control in this country has ever been "reasonable" nor a genuine "compromise".

LawDog

• Like 2

The NRA has gotten MUCH better since 1994.  And the reason the NRA has gotten better is because the members told it to get better.  In 1994, the NRA helped write the AW bill and the Brady Act.  The flak they got over that is still a sore spot with the leadership.

In 1994, 'ugly guns' were not something the NRA was going to really fight for.  And just mentioning the words 'National Firearms Act' caused Wayne LaPierre to run away as fast as he could at the 2000 National Convention in Charlotte.  This year at the convention in St Louis, he did NOT run away.  He made no promises, aside from admitting that US v. Miller was a bad decision.  Still, that's a HUGE leap forward from Charlotte.

They have made a lot of progress.  And it's because the membership has insisted on it.  I'm still pushing for the NRA to get ANY gun law repealed as that is something they have never done.  But, I feel confident that as long as we keep making noise, it will eventually happen.

• Like 2
Did someone say we should compromise?

http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2010/09/ok-ill-play.html

Not everything should be eligible for compromise but most should be and "never" is probably a word that is inappropriate to use when talking about compromising.

It's generally better to compromise than to die...not always; but usually.

Put another way, ask the question "is THIS the hill you want to die on?"...if it is then dig in, make your peace with God and go for it. If it isn't THAT hill then negotiate.

• Like 1