Tennessean writing about AR-15, similar rifles

Guest brianhaas

...... Thanks for not making gun owners look like irrational, insane zealots.

Unlike the retired history professor, William X. Andrews, who as the quest opinion writer on page 5A called anyone who feared stronger gun control laws....,

"...... militiaman plotting to overthrow the government, a neo-Confederate embracing secession, a neo-Nazi awaiting a race war, a xenophobe frightened by people with accents, an antisocial paranoid off his medication, or a survivalist anticipating some apocalyptic convulsion......" 

:squint: 

Edited by DMark
[quote name="DMark" post="878058" timestamp="1357576563"]Unlike the retired history professor, William X. Andrews, who as the quest opinion writer on page 5A called anyone who feared stronger gun control laws....,   [i]"...... militiaman plotting to overthrow the government, a neo-Confederate embracing secession, a neo-Nazi awaiting a race war, a xenophobe frightened by people with accents, an antisocial paranoid off his medication, or a survivalist anticipating some apocalyptic convulsion......" [/i]   :squint:[i] [/i][/quote] He must have been doing his research in the last 5 threads I read.
Guest brianhaas

lots of buildup here for what seems the same old same old story.

Interesting in the video it shows people going downrange and the sound of gunfire still going on.  I am guessing the average person will think people do that while the range is hot.

Those shots were coming from elsewhere, not the range we were at.

only one error that I can find.  I don't believe Walmart is restricting any sales of AR-15s, just sold out.  

See: http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/news/wal-mart-dicks-guns-connecticut/index.html

"David Tovar, a Wal-Mart spokesman, said the Bushmaster gun was not for sale online and the web listing contained directions for the nearest store where it could be purchased. The ad was pulled because of sensitivity to the Newtown massacre, Tovar said."

Good write-up, Mr. Haas.

Fair, balanced, informative. I appreciated your mention and definition of "semi-automatic" and especially the background for "AR" NOT being short for assault rifle!

Could not discern a viewpoint, just a Joe Friday statement of facts.

Thanks again for taking input from all sides - even our sworn enemies. ;)

• Like 1

Those shots were coming from elsewhere, not the range we were at.

See: http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/news/wal-mart-dicks-guns-connecticut/index.html

"David Tovar, a Wal-Mart spokesman, said the Bushmaster gun was not for sale online and the web listing contained directions for the nearest store where it could be purchased. The ad was pulled because of sensitivity to the Newtown massacre, Tovar said."

yes, but that was just one store.  Walmart as a whole has publicly stated they are not discontinuing AR-15 sales.  I see your point that the info in your article is technically correct according to that source, just thought I would point it out.  

Has anyone ever been able to order weapons off WalMart.com?  I've only ever seen them listed as "In-Store Only"?

Mac

Never been able to order guns online though Wally AFAIK, even to have them sent to your local store.

Mac :)

Edited by Oh Shoot

yes, but that was just one store.  Walmart as a whole has publicly stated they are not discontinuing AR-15 sales.  I see your point that the info in your article is technically correct according to that source, just thought I would point it out.  

Yep. All they did nationwide was pull the Bushmaster from showing on online. Wally sold beau coup ARs after CT, indeed every one they had in every store in the USA.

- OS

To the people who keep saying there is no need to own a so called "assault rifle." Last time I checked it was the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs. As far as the AR15 being a "military style weapon." The modern lever action rifle of the old west was first developed for military use in the civil war. The first bolt action rifles were used by the Prussian army in 1841. The first semiautomatic rifle (the Mondragón) was also a military rifle designed for the Mexican army. Just about every modern rifle has its roots as a military weapon first before being adapted for the civilian market. The AR15 is just the latest. But I guess history and education doesn't sell as well as fear. Just my 2 cents.
  • Like 1

I like the article overall: however, this is a phrase from captain obvious: “They are based on weapons of war that were specifically designed for anti-personnel use that are now being sold on the civilian market"

All guns are decendants of weapons of war designed for anti-personnel use as are swords, knives, bows and arrows, crossbows and bolts, and clubs, etc. Heck, even rocks are a weapon of war.

• Like 1

Brian, have you gotten arround to ordering / purchasing your own modern sporting rifle ?

(now that you have been exposed to MSR and need to feed the addiction)

Edited by R_Bert
Guest brianhaas

I just wanted to thank everyone here for the feedback and help on my story. It is much appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'll be back here again before long for more.

As to ordering my own AR... Nah, I don't need any expensive hobbies right now.

Thanks again!