Tennessee Considers Training and Arming School Teachers to Protect Against Shootings

I just emailed a couple Congressmen the other day asking them to consider this.  I guess I wasn't the only one because a bill is being proposed right now.  I love Tennessee.

http://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-considers-training-arming-schoolteachers-protect-against-shootings-192556978--politics.htmlhttp://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-considers-training-arming-schoolteachers-protect-against-shootings-192556978--politics.html

I fully support this.

In fact I was thinking earlier today they should considering hiring Vets as armed guards at schools.

I mean there would have be serious background and mental evaluation checks done. Make sure they are not suffering from any PTSD.

Plus I would not want to see the position likened to a mall cop.  Make it a position of respect, maybe even have the vet lead Plead of pledge of allegiance. 

• Like 3

We have to pressure our politicians in Nashville to legalize all folks with permits to carry in schools.  If that does not work, how about an 'enhanced permit' like Mississippi has?  I'll go and requal every four years if i can carry in schools, all parks, and past 'no guns' signs legally.

I don't get that idea. The school resource officers I've seen don't impress me but with one exception for a massive dude who worked at Overton High School.

And you think teachers will be better? I'm married to a teacher and have been around them for the last 20 years. Most of them don't have it in them.

We have a resource officer here in Sullivan County that shot and killed a guy trying to enter a local HS with a gun last year. Teachers are currently working so many hours they do not have time to be trained appropriately.

• Like 1
Do you guys know many teachers? We'd be better served by a progam to increase our school resource officers.

School RSOs are expensive.

Tax payers are stingy.

Armed staff is free.

See where this is going? :)

Edited by strickj

Maybe we should give the teachers that are carrying a firearm a few extra days off a year for training and a little pay raise to boot. Also, introduce skill levels for those who are trained to carry a firearm in school.  The higher the skill level, the higher your pay.  

Give them some incentives to be highly trained in responding to an event where an active shooter is in the school.  

The idea that it is not a gun free zone would put a stop to the threat of this happening. Whether it be a teacher,

off-duty cop, principal or volunteers from the PTA, or whatever they call themselves, would be enough to reduce

a threat like this of occurring. Most of these crimes go on with the knowledge of little or no opposition force being

available.

Anything that introduced that potential would be of benefit. Of course, that would mean there would have to be

no more  "Gun Free Zones". It was a stupid concept to begin with.

Here's my take...

I'm all for teachers and administrators to be allowed to carry a weapon at school, I'm more for every HCP holder to be allowed.

Let's look at this from another angle also. Today in many, many schools, we are asking and requiring the teacher to teach each kid to government standards and curriculum those who don't want to be there, are disruptive, bullies, want-to-be gang bangers and detract from a learning environment. In many schools the teachers have become day time parents, baby sitters and instruments for child indoctrination of what liberal National Education Association criteria demands.

I don't agree they should also perform security duty unless they desire to do so, trained and compensated for the additional responsibility.

That would open up a whole other can of worms if an educator had to use a handgun during a shooting spree and things went South, law suits galore.

• Like 1
Guest bkelm18
Here's my take...

I'm all for teachers and administrators to be allowed to carry a weapon at school, I'm more for every HCP holder to be allowed.

Let's look at this from another angle also. Today in many, many schools, we are asking and requiring the teacher to teach each kid to government standards and curriculum those who don't want to be there, are disruptive, bullies, want-to-be gang bangers and detract from a learning environment. In many schools the teachers have become day time parents, baby sitters and instruments for child indoctrination of what liberal National Education Association criteria demands.

I don't agree they should also perform security duty unless they desire to do so, trained and compensated for the additional responsibility.

That would open up a whole other can of worms if an educator had to use a handgun during a shooting spree and things went South, law suits galore.

Nobody is forcing the teachers to carry a weapon. Only volunteers.

Ask for a parent to volunteer providing they meet the criteria AND have a child in the same school. They volunteer once a month for an 8 hour shift and in return they get to deduct 1% of their property taxes for each day they volunteer within a calendar year.

If teachers volunteer to carry then give them a 10% pay increase for the added responsibility. Provide them with a Glock and require them to keep it on their person at all times while on school grounds or during a school even.

Dolomite

• Like 2
[quote name='bkelm18' timestamp='1355875065' post='862940']   Nobody is forcing the teachers to carry a weapon. Only volunteers.[/quote] If only the volunteers cary at least the bad guys won't know who's armed and who's not. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
  • Like 2
I would prefer to see the teachers have the option to carry, and would like them to be able to do so openly. I like that we have SRO's at all the schools in my county, but also realize that they can't be everywhere at once while they are there. The teachers are almost always at least within eyesight of all the students while school is in session. The SRO's are trained in how to respond to active shooter situations but may still be minutes away from the actual event due to the size of the school, other duties (traffic control, fights, belligerent parents, etc.), or occupied at the time the incident begins (restroom). I think that the SRO's should take control of the situation as soon as possible but the teachers should be allowed to protect themselves and the kids until help arrives.

I would think that firearms related companies would get behind something like this. Ask them to donate products or services and the taxpayers cost might disappear completely. Great PR program for them.

Also allow carry by all HCP holders.

To those that think SRO's are the solution I offer the wisdom of Ronald Reagan. "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." January 20, 1981

SRO's are the governments solution. I prefer smaller government and using private solutions whenever possible. I realize that teachers work for the government but allowing them to volunteer for a program like this doesn't increase the bureaucracy.

Guest drv2fst
I'm for eliminating "gun free zones". Clearly, that's where almost all these attacks happen.

I don't like adding staff to schools. I don't like the government requiring anything else anymore.

As usual, the answer here is to reduce the legal complexity not add to it. We don't need another new bill, we need to eliminate the one we have that creates the "gun free zones".

Plus, if a potential gunman has no idea about who is armed, then they reduced advantage of surprise.

Many teachers are already shooters. Many have LEO, or military experience.