Most Durable/Longest Lasting 9mm Handguns

GlockSpock

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I may be willing to give Glock another try. Probably the 19, gen 3 or gen 4? I remember at one time gen 4's had a few issues, I would like to have a gen 4 I suppose unless they still aren't considered as reliable. Tell me everything anyone knows about G19's.

Guest Lester Weevils

I haven't broke any of my 9mm's, so lots of brands have been reliable SO FAR. Can't recall any significant issues with Beretta, CZ, Glock, Kahr, Taurus. SO FAR. Gut-level prejudice would give "most reliable" nod to Beretta and Glock, but dunno nothin.

In Beretta, I have the hunch that a Beretta or Stoegar Cougar might be as reliable or even more reliable than a 92. My Stoegar Cougar didn't cost much, looks built like a tank, and shoots virtually identical to my 92FS. The PX4's I bet are up there as well. PX4 just looks like a plastic Cougar and maybe PX4 is an improvement on that design fer all I know.

But the CZ85 seems quite solid as well. When I look in the CZ85 it seems to have more parts in there than Beretta, unless they are just better-hidden in a 92 or Cougar. You can tear a Beretta down to teeny parts pretty easy but I a skeered to tear down the CZ85 to teeny parts for fear I couldn't get all the parts put back in there right.

edit-- I want to get a hi-point as well. Every time I see a hi-point, it looks less ugly. They looked real ugly at first, but maybe familiarity breeds affection rather than contempt. :)

Edited by Lester Weevils
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="DarylDixon" data-cid="864512" data-time="1356035509"><p>
How come you hardly see people recommend the XD for situations like this?</p></blockquote>

Seems that the consensus is that it being made in croatia is worse than the glock being made in Austria
How come you hardly see people recommend the XD for situations like this?

Because Glocks and a few others just have well documented long term reliability. Nothing against XD. It just has lots of catching up to do because it's not used near as heavily as Glocks and some others. My guess is than an XD will hang in with the rest. Just can't prove it.

Guest bkelm18
How come you hardly see people recommend the XD for situations like this?

Not sure but there have been plenty of torture tests on them and have performed as good as the rest. They have a longer track record than the M&P line but for whatever reason are overlooked a lot of times.

Guest Frightful1

At the risk of being flamed, I have to go with my Taurus PT92.  At nearly 9000 rounds it has been a work horse with no problems.  I went thru 3 Glocks before I found one that would actually shoot more than 10 rounds without problems.  I still own the fourth and it has not been super reliable.  My Springfield EMP 40 has been back home several times for extractor/ejector problems.  The two Sigs I own I have not had long enough to speak to this issue.  It's not a 9, but my Bersa 22LR semi-auto has 7500+ with out failure.  The Bersa .45 is going strong but like the sigs I have not had it long enough.  Guess I have to go with the Taurus PT92!

There are a lot of people that hate Taurus' but swear by the PT92.
One thing about the XD is the finish doesn't Sean to hold up well. The fact that not many police departments use XD's is huge, it's silly that people will buy a handgun because x police department uses them. I'm not a recoil sensitive guy but the high axis of the XD kind of turned me away.
Guest DarylDixon
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Patton" data-cid="864770" data-time="1356053488"><p>
There are a lot of people that hate Taurus' but swear by the PT92. <br />
One thing about the XD is the finish doesn't Sean to hold up well. The fact that not many police departments use XD's is huge, it's silly that people will buy a handgun because x police department uses them. I'm not a recoil sensitive guy but the high axis of the XD kind of turned me away.</p></blockquote>

The finish has held up just fine on all 3 of my XD pistols. They look just as good as the day I bought them.

Any Glock in 9mm and then the CZ P-01 . The Glock goes without  saying of course. And then look at the NATO testing that was done on the P-01 . The NATO number should be  on the right hand side of your P-01 .  I know what you are talking about with the Slide stop breaking and I have heard of it but I have not experienced it .

I'm not knocking Taurus in general, but back in the 90's I had a PT 92, and shot it a good bit. Problem was, I broke the locking block completely 3 times. Taurus, under warranty, promptly replaced it. I couldn't trust my life to it.

I sold it and purchased a Glock 19.

I've had a couple of them...traded one for a G 17 to go with my G26.

I adhere to the OP's criteria in that my Glock 19 is on my belt...daily and I trust it with my life...quite literally. I quit counting after about 30,000 rounds. I occasionally change the springs and even clean it every now and then. I stick with OEM parts and carry a Glock armorer's tool on my keychain…but I’ve only ever needed it for stripping it down.

Glock’s are monkey simple to work on. Even I can do it. And this thing has been AK reliable, even with all of the abuse I’ve put it through.

I do love my blue steel 1911. It’s a great handgun. Everything I hear about S&W M&P’s lead me to believe they will probably turn out to be every bit as reliable. But my Glock has proven itself to me many things over.

YMMV.

Beretta 92F.

I'd have to disagree there. I've broken two locking blocks myself and have seen at least a dozen more break. Granted, they were being abused with thousands of rounds at a time, but that seems to be the failure point in the design.