Let's talk reloading 223

Yesterday I loaded some 55 gr FMJ atop 27.2 grains IMR 4320. This is a max load in my Seirra manual. It seemed to shoot pretty good, function well, and stacked my brass in a neat pile right beside me. Another interesting feature I found was that a correctly charged case was just about dead even full of powder, which makes checking for mistakes in charging very easy. All in all, a good load. Let's hear yours.

I bought 7500 or something 55 grain boat tails a while back.  Using those, 23 grains of 2230 powder has done fine in all my guns.  As with yours, its a decently full case, you certainly could never double up and what little space is left would just kick it up toward max.

While I agree starting at the top end is a bit questionable, I remain of the opinion that the so-called "max loads" are still downsized and won't call you out on it.  I suspect you could exceed any published load by 10% without worry, as I expect the "max" are cut by at least 10% off the "barrel crackin max" values to ensure safety even when using only moderately precise powder measures etc and for liability reasons of the publisher, etc.  I do not recommend doing this, just saying the so-called max is, in reality, a "safe max" that should be safe even in "lower quality" firearms.   I tend to  go the other way and make light loads, because it costs less per go.

Edited by Jonnin
What would the SMEs here say a target velocity should be for 223? I'm working up one using 68g Hornady HPBT, 1x fired LC01 brass and CFE223 powder. After 5 charges the most accurate is the largest charge but only moving 2617 fps. I've made 4 more loads but haven't have time to shoot them. What speed should I be looking for?
What would the SMEs here say a target velocity should be for 223? I'm working up one using 68g Hornady HPBT, 1x fired LC01 brass and CFE223 powder. After 5 charges the most accurate is the largest charge but only moving 2617 fps. I've made 4 more loads but haven't have time to shoot them. What speed should I be looking for?

Are you using CFE223 or SMP842?

For the velocity the barrel length makes a huge difference I have a 69 grain load that does 2,350 fps out of 16" and 2,950 out of 26". If that is out of a 16"-18" barrel I would consider that pretty close to good. If it is a 20" I would think 2,750 would be about it.

You need to be watching for signs of pressure as well. But as I have said before max load doesn't mean max accuracy. As a matter of fact just the opposite is the case 99% of the time.

I've been loading SS109 penetrators over 842 lately. I'm using Dolomite loads, 'cause he's more anal than me, and spends a lot more time testing. Accuracy... they're for my red dot guns. They fit under the dot.
I've been loading SS109 penetrators over 842 lately. I'm using Dolomite loads, 'cause he's more anal than me, and spends a lot more time testing. Accuracy... they're for my red dot guns. They fit under the dot.

I start with MINIMUM loads and work up looking for accuracy.  I will take accuracy over speed any day.  No crow, coyote, paper target, beer can or ground hog can tell the difference between 2800 fps and 3200 fps.

I am working my way through an 8# jug of H-335.  When that is gone, I have 5# of Ball C to start on. 

• 2 weeks later...
Yesterday I loaded some 55 gr FMJ atop 27.2 grains IMR 4320. This is a max load in my Seirra manual. It seemed to shoot pretty good, function well, and stacked my brass in a neat pile right beside me. Another interesting feature I found was that a correctly charged case was just about dead even full of powder, which makes checking for mistakes in charging very easy. All in all, a good load. Let's hear yours.

I mounted a 4x Leupold atop my Bushmaster Patrolman Carbine, and just shot a 3 shot, 3/4" group a 100 yards from a bench with this load. If I'd have known the ar's would shoot like this, I'd have bought one way back when ammo and reloading components were readily available.

Oh yeah, no doubt, Dolomite's trigger kit helped a lot in shooting small groups!

I mounted a 4x Leupold atop my Bushmaster Patrolman Carbine, and just shot a 3 shot, 3/4" group a 100 yards from a bench with this load. If I'd have known the ar's would shoot like this, I'd have bought one way back when ammo and reloading components were readily available.

Oh yeah, no doubt, Dolomite's trigger kit helped a lot in shooting small groups!

5shottarget.jpg

5 shot 100 yrd .308 AR group.

Dimetarget.jpg

5 shot 100 yrd .204 AR group.

• Like 1

As a rule of thumb, I usually start out around 10% under suggested max load and build up from there looking for signs of pressure until I get a good combination of accuracy/pressure good enough for the range. The only difference are my 38SP/357 paper loads which are very, very light anyways and 22-250 at which I started and stayed at 36gr of RL15/Varget using 50gr Vmax based on a ton of feedback from many varmint hunters. The many shooting/reloading forums found today are priceless for reloaders.

I believe I did read somewhere that the Max loads of today are a bit lower than years ago for a "built-in" safety factor from the manufacturers. .......... but, some powder and brass manufacturing/brands have changed as well - so it's a good idea to follow the suggestions here and start low based on manufacturers load data - then build up from there watching for any signs of over-pressure, etc.

Just my .02 cents 

Oh, and one more note ........

If I even question one of my loads, I stop, back up, go over all of my data, and will (have) pull all of my loads and start over. It's always better to be safe than sorry. If your going to reload a lot, you can't beat a good puller either. I used to use a kinetic hammer style - but now I use the RCBS puller die on any application it will fit and have multiple caliber collets to go with it. It's saved my hinnie a few times on rifle loads and is well worth the investment.

B

• 1 year later...

A compressed load?  yech. just the mechanics alone can bite you, much less other time, temperature & handling factors. 

Mike... In the olden days before the "reloading police" when shooters took responsibility for reloading we used the following two recipes for 223 and 53 to 55 grain slugs:

26.5 grains for Ball C(2) and anybodie's 53 to 55 grain match bullet...

25.5 grains of H335 and anybodie's 53 to 55 grain match bullet...

As i remember, the cases were pretty much level full with these powder charges... We always used military brass because it wuz easy to find... Ball C(2) and H335 used to be the "go to" powders for the 223... They were easy to find, easy to load (...spherical...) and exhibited great accuracy...

Hope this helps...

leroy

A compressed load?  yech. just the mechanics alone can bite you, much less other time, temperature & handling factors. 

Please explain. I always thought that lots of times, a compressed load took full advantage of the space in the cartridge, and denoted a satisfactory powder for a given bullet/cartridge combo.

Anyway, how 'bout the m855 loads? You got any suggestions?

Please explain. I always thought that lots of times, a compressed load took full advantage of the space in the cartridge, and denoted a satisfactory powder for a given bullet/cartridge combo.

Anyway, how 'bout the m855 loads? You got any suggestions?

Just my inherent caution - I have always been leery of the mechanical wear on the powder (grinding into additional powder fines).   was told it changes the volumetric density and burn rate. Size and shape of powder granules matter.  When at the edge to begin with, it seems easy to exceed. 

That IMR powder is not known for temperature stability above 80F.

BTW, *my* Sierra manual says 26.7 for 55gr FMJBT, not 27.2.  And, it is only midrange velocity.  Better powder choices all the way up the page.

Just my thoughts. It's your gun & eyeballs.

Just my inherent caution - I have always been leery of the mechanical wear on the powder (grinding into additional powder fines).   was told it changes the volumetric density and burn rate. Size and shape of powder granules matter.  When at the edge to begin with, it seems easy to exceed. 

That IMR powder is not known for temperature stability above 80F.

BTW, *my* Sierra manual says 26.7 for 55gr FMJBT, not 27.2.  And, it is only midrange velocity.  Better powder choices all the way up the page.

Just my thoughts. It's your gun & eyeballs.

My 4th edition (50th Anniversary) Sierra Manual shows 27.2 max for all 55 grain projectiles, and also lists this as the preferred hunting load at the bottom of the page.

This is also as high a velocity as any on the page.

Perhaps I need to update.

I do appreciate your information. :up: