What Is Your Family Christmas Tradition, Quirky or Not

runco

Ours:  Like my dad did with my family when I lived at home, later this evening, sitting by the candle light, hot cocoa and blankets, I will read from the Bible the Christmas story Matthew 1:18-25, Luke 2:1-20, then I will close with John 3:16.  We then will tuck the kids in for bed, then wrap presents, assemble toys, and go to bed around 2am.  We will then get up around 6am, and have a blast.  One of our quirky traditions we do is the making of the Christmas cookies and goodies in the days before Christmas, my young boys (8, 7, 3, and our 2 month old) with their Christmas green aprons on help their mother roll dough, cut cookies, and really make messes.   Its quirky, but I love it! 

What is yours?

• Like 3

The tradition we had when the kids were much younger, we broke them this time. I asked my wife to make sure. We

decided the gifts were personalized and were not to be wrapped. This Christmas is about the birth of Jesus.

We will have another "Christmas" with her mother and will have maybe some presents to unwrap. I'm just glad to have the

whole family at home, right now.

Fights must be popular for Christmas.  Lots and lots of customers used dealing with family as why they were buying wine and spirits.  I pretty much think it is all in good humor and most people were only kidding.

My only lasting tradition is I enjoy getting up very early, well before the grandkids ( kids back in the day) or anyone else and enjoying the peace of it all.  I stand outside and ingest caffeine and nicotine.   I enjoy the silence, road noise is at it's most minimum, and the slightest breeze drowns it out totally.  The world seems calm and perfect for those few minutes.

While not religious at all those few moments early in the pre dawn hours give me hope for humanity.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 3
Fights must be popular for Christmas.  Lots and lots of customers used dealing with family as why they were buying wine and spirits.  I pretty much think it is all in good humor and most people were only kidding.

My only lasting tradition is I enjoy getting up very early, well before the grandkids ( kids back in the day) or anyone else and enjoying the peace of it all.  I stand outside and ingest caffeine and nicotine.   I enjoy the silence, road noise is at it's most minimum, and the slightest breeze drowns it out totally.  The world seems calm and perfect for those few minutes.

While not religious at all those few moments early in the pre dawn hours give me hope for humanity.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I like this. Getting up early and having a cup of coffee is my favorite part of the day.

It's strange when it's 80 degrees outside on Christmas though.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas!

Guest bkelm18

Don't really have any. I just go to my parents, eat dinner, my dad usually gives me some money as a present at some point, then I go home. Simple. No frills. Just the way I like it.

One of out favorites is playing a Christmas hint game. God gave "hints" as to the coming birth of Jesus in the old testament. Most people missed it but a few were able to figure it out. For the seven days leading up to Christmas, we talk about some of the old testament prophecies and give one new clue each day about one of their presents. My kids love the game and it ties the fun of presents to the real meaning of Christmas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • Like 1
We always have a get together for close family at my moms on Christmas eve and the extended family on Christmas day.

We started what I hope doesn't become Christmas eve tradition, it's called "Dog sprayed in face by skunk runs through house."

It was so strong it didn't even smell like skunk, it was like someone shoved crushed garlic cloves up my nose.

I had to go by Walgreens to pick up a Rx for my wife. The pharmacist is taking my information, stops, looks at the tech and says, "do you smell something burning?" I laughed and said "that would be me."

These are great, keep them coming. I did fail to mention, I too like getting up early, drinking coffee, and just staring at the Christmas Tree with all its presents. Listening to the silence and recalling past Christmases in my mind. I love the celebration now, but I do love recalling the old ones, especially when I was a young boy. My mother is gone now, but I sure do miss her, especially on Christmas morning! 

Brasilnuts, I hate that happened to your family, but it brought a huge laugh to mine, Thanks.

We always have my side of the family at our house, We eat, drink, laugh a lot and cry a little. We remember the ones we have lost, and celebrate the ones we have gained. I found myself overwhelmed tonight watching my son hold his new son (8 mos) and help him open his first gifts as his wife smiled and laughed with us. I am not ashamed to say I had to step  away to shed a tear. I have watched my mother become the face I remember my grandmother having and my sisters become my mothers face. Tonight I heard them laugh as they noticed me turning into our grandfather holding me as an infant. I am so blessed to have such a good family, a wonderful and loving wife and beautiful children. In the morning we will see what Santa brought, go to Mrs, gunwhatgun's family's house and so the samething again. I try to think God everyday for the blessings we have and remember why we have them, He always reminds me the most on These two days, how dear our children are to us.

• Like 1
These are great, keep them coming. I did fail to mention, I too like getting up early, drinking coffee, and just staring at the Christmas Tree with all its presents. Listening to the silence and recalling past Christmases in my mind. I love the celebration now, but I do love recalling the old ones, especially when I was a young boy. My mother is gone now, but I sure do miss her, especially on Christmas morning! 

you got all the parts I left out, except it is my grandparents I miss most.  Recalling Xmas past is a big part of it,  big part.

We have a large snowball kind of candle , every Christmas Eve for the last 23 years we light it and read The Night Before Christmas by passing the book around reading a page or two each then blow the candle out. Well one kid is married now and the other sleeping at her own place so this is the first year we did not get to do it , kinda sad but we will all be together in the morning so I guess we will do it then. Merry Christmas all .......
  • 11 months later...