Bug out bag contents

Ive been putting together my bag for a SHTF situation. First Ill give you a lil background so I get respones geared toward my situation. In case of SHTF I plan to throw prepacked supplies in my truck and "bug out" to my parents place with sustaniable food, water, etc. Now this bag is geared towards making the trip on foot in a bad situation. Im using a 3 day assault pack. Right now I have a basic first aid kit, baby wipes, lighters, matches, metal match, nomex gloves, sunglasses, zip ties, duct tape, 100 ft of paracord, tampons, maxi pads for bandages, small towel, toilet paper, couple packs ramen noodles, few energy bars, two boxes of ammo for pistol, and 40 rds for rifle, large and Small fixed blade knives custom built for this purpose, a wool blanket and water proof canvas tied on The bottom. I know I need a water purfication set up, and would like suggestions. Am I missing anything? Right now the pack is light and easy to go long distance with, and knowing the bag, my pistol and my rifle will be all I carry if I have to leave the truck, I want it to be sustaniable but light. The trip to my dads on roads is 25 miles, 15 miles through the mountains, though consdering the terrian, its at least 2 days overland. So what am I missing?
  • Like 1
The place is setup already. Anything in the truck would be extras not necassarily needed. So this bag is to keep me alive and safe if I have to do the journey on foot, through the mountains. 15-30 miles, 4 days max, hopefully.

Assuming you make it in 2 days you may have enough.  I have my bag set for 5 days, so I have a bit more than you  and a bit further to travel.  Things I suggest: extra socks (watch Forrest Gump), a tootbrush (trust me it makes a world of differnce), super glue (for first aid and repairs), a boy scout cooking set (lightweight), and my water purification thing.  I have one of the kits that converts nasty water into a sports drink like gatorade or something.  I have never used it and hope it works and doesn't taste bad.

• Like 1
Guest cardcutter

I only see two things I would add. I would add a camle back or a couple of canteens. I would also add maybe one or two MREs. A two day trek has a way of becoming a three or four day one.

One other thing you might want to consider. Have you made this trip on foot? Have you done any treking with this set up? In doing living history I have done treks with period authentic gear ,wich for me is around 1750 to 1800. I found that I refined my setup a few times by seeing what worked and what was just nice to have.

Just my two cents worth. 

Edited by cardcutter

You need more food.  For water purifcation, consider something like the Sawyer PointOne Emergency Water Filter http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-PointOne-Emergency-Filtration-Light-Weight/dp/B004TZ86M6/ref=pd_sim_sg_2 .  Or if you are on a budget, maybe a Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter Kit. http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Personal-Water-Bottle-Filter/dp/B005SO8VAE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1356647647&sr=8-9&keywords=water+purification+bottle

I'd also recommend another tarp in addition to the water proof canvas. Just get one of those poly tarps at the local hardware store.  They are light and have all kinds of uses. Harbor Freight has camo ones for $5 or $6. http://www.harborfreight.com/9-ft-6-inch-x-7-ft-4-inch-camouflage-tarp-46411.html  There is a Harbor Freight in Fountain City.  If that waterproof canvas is heavy, I'd consider replacing it with something like this.  http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/UL-Multicam-Tarp-10x10-tarp-10x10-mc-ul.htm (I would try to find a cheaper alternative though.  Don't know about you, but that's a lot of money for me).

Some sort of a cook set.  You could purchase a dedicated cooking outfit like UncleJak said or just pick up a couple of stainless steel dog bowls at Tractor Supply.  They are pretty cheap there. You might want something like a cup to drink out of and a spoon, to eat with.  Seems like a waste of weight, but those are things that can help keep your sprites up while you are going through the nightmare. 

What about a slingshot for quiet hunting or take it a step further and make a sling bow?

Some form of entertainment or communication with the outside world.  I suggest a small battery or windup operated radio.  Again something light like this http://www.amazon.com/ER-Emergency-Ready-Hand-Crank-Flashlight/dp/B0007CL02S/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1356649313&sr=1-8&keywords=crank+radio .

Lastly some fire tender, like cotton balls doused in Petroleum jelly, dryer lint and/or fat wood.  Hand sanitizer works well with this as well.

Edited by Moped
I think you're in pretty good shape. Add some water and a bit of food. If you're planning on 3 to 5 days, collecting food is a secondary consideration. You can carry what you need. Ramen noodles and energy bars are plenty.

You may get hungry, but so what? Most of us carry a few days extra calories around our midsection anyway.

Here is my priority list for a 3 to 7 day get-home kit.

1) Hydration. Keep 4 1-quart bottles of water in your BOB. Keep a few coffee filters and some iodine tablets. And a small filter. I have this one. http://m.buy.com/product/details/222936039?listingID=258977074 I do need to add a couple water bladders

2) Warmth. Looks like you have redundant methods of building a fire. Keep warm clothes, headgear gloves and footwear with you. Especially in winter.

3) Dry. A small tarp and some dry clothes. Combine your warm clothes and dry clothes (Gore-tex) to save space and weight. And...

4). Protection. You seem to have that covered with your first aid and weapons.

And a blade, obviously. You have that covered too.
Guest TNSovereignty
Spots, I think I would add a spool of fishing line, hooks and some splitshot sinkers. 

+1.  Another thing I learned from AK survival training was the many uses of dental floss.  Not as strong as paracord but I used a bunch of it in building shelters/hooches.   Also good for emergency sewing, fishing, snares ... and clean teeth.  

Something to cook/boil water in. maybe some bleach to purify in a hurry. little aluminum foil. extra socks and clothing. and throw in a few bandanas, all sorts of things to use those for. I have salt/pepper and sports drink mix in my mess kit, maybe add some of that, no sense in eating bland food. LOL. for a short 2-3 day hike id say your covered with these items and what you already have.

oh, and maybe 2 wool blankets. it can get a lil nippy. i threw in a few of those space blankets. very compact and take up little space and you can get em few like a buck or 2. you can even use them to catch water or keep water off you. they are mettalic so itl be seen a long ways. thats the only down side.  

i would also have 2 water containers. one for clean filtered water and one for dirty water. dont cross contaminate. obviously.

lets get together when it warms up and practice with our bags. the only time ive used mine was at your house for a night. lol.

doesnt do any good unless you know how to use your stuff.

Candy. Vacuum seal or ziplock a bit of your favorite candy. I'm a candy fiend anyway, but you'd be surprised how much a moral booster a cherry lifesaver is. Orange pez, sweetarts, a pack of Mambas, some Spree. Keep it hard candy, you'll probably regret a pack of gummy bears when that .... gets all gooey. Don't go overboard, it'll play hell on your thirst. BUT, keeping your sugar up for the couple of days youre marching will do wonders. Katadyn water filters are pricey but not quite as costly as dysentery from poorly filtered water. Probably wouldn't kill you in three days but who wants to show up to mom & dads house with a screamin case of the squirts?
  • Like 1
Candy. Vacuum seal or ziplock a bit of your favorite candy. I'm a candy fiend anyway, but you'd be surprised how much a moral booster a cherry lifesaver is. Orange pez, sweetarts, a pack of Mambas, some Spree. Keep it hard candy, you'll probably regret a pack of gummy bears when that .... gets all gooey. Don't go overboard, it'll play hell on your thirst. BUT, keeping your sugar up for the couple of days youre marching will do wonders. Katadyn water filters are pricey but not quite as costly as dysentery from poorly filtered water. Probably wouldn't kill you in three days but who wants to show up to mom & dads house with a screamin case of the squirts?

There is nothing like a pez to keep my spirits up.  I have a yoda pez despenser with pez I need to put in my pack.

• Like 1
[quote name="UncleJak" post="870392" timestamp="1356702165"]There is nothing like a pez to keep my spirits up.  I have a yoda pez despenser with pez I need to put in my pack.[/quote] Just don't mix it up with the one filled with Lortabs. LOL Just kidding, although I know people who do that. Sad.
Assuming you make it in 2 days you may have enough.  I have my bag set for 5 days, so I have a bit more than you  and a bit further to travel.  Things I suggest: extra socks (watch Forrest Gump), a tootbrush (trust me it makes a world of differnce), super glue (for first aid and repairs), a boy scout cooking set (lightweight), and my water purification thing.  I have one of the kits that converts nasty water into a sports drink like gatorade or something.  I have never used it and hope it works and doesn't taste bad.

I've got 2 sets of socks, one wool, one cotton. I forgot to mention them. I'll add the toothbrush, super glue, and a light cooking set.

I only see two things I would add. I would add a camle back or a couple of canteens. I would also add maybe one or two MREs. A two day trek has a way of becoming a three or four day one.

One other thing you might want to consider. Have you made this trip on foot? Have you done any treking with this set up? In doing living history I have done treks with period authentic gear ,wich for me is around 1750 to 1800. I found that I refined my setup a few times by seeing what worked and what was just nice to have.

Just my two cents worth. 

I do need to get a camel back bladder, as my pack is set up for one. I'll look into a couple of stripped MRE's, though I'm wary of adding to much food. I have trekked with some of this stuff before, doing the trip to my dads overland, but this is a new bag, and I'm reorganizing and assessing.

Spots, I think I would add a spool of fishing line, hooks and some splitshot sinkers. You have everything else pretty much covered. Our fellow TGO'rs have covered the other bases.

Dave S

I had thought about that dave, just don't know how useful they would be on the 2-3 days I'd be in the woods? I'm heading up the mountain, and there is almost zero fishing up there. Migh use it for snares though.

You need more food.  For water purifcation, consider something like the Sawyer PointOne Emergency Water Filter http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-PointOne-Emergency-Filtration-Light-Weight/dp/B004TZ86M6/ref=pd_sim_sg_2 .  Or if you are on a budget, maybe a Sawyer Personal Water Bottle Filter Kit. http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Personal-Water-Bottle-Filter/dp/B005SO8VAE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1356647647&sr=8-9&keywords=water+purification+bottle

I'd also recommend another tarp in addition to the water proof canvas. Just get one of those poly tarps at the local hardware store.  They are light and have all kinds of uses. Harbor Freight has camo ones for $5 or $6. http://www.harborfreight.com/9-ft-6-inch-x-7-ft-4-inch-camouflage-tarp-46411.html  There is a Harbor Freight in Fountain City.  If that waterproof canvas is heavy, I'd consider replacing it with something like this.  http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/UL-Multicam-Tarp-10x10-tarp-10x10-mc-ul.htm (I would try to find a cheaper alternative though.  Don't know about you, but that's a lot of money for me).

Some sort of a cook set.  You could purchase a dedicated cooking outfit like UncleJak said or just pick up a couple of stainless steel dog bowls at Tractor Supply.  They are pretty cheap there. You might want something like a cup to drink out of and a spoon, to eat with.  Seems like a waste of weight, but those are things that can help keep your sprites up while you are going through the nightmare. 

What about a slingshot for quiet hunting or take it a step further and make a sling bow?

Some form of entertainment or communication with the outside world.  I suggest a small battery or windup operated radio.  Again something light like this http://www.amazon.com/ER-Emergency-Ready-Hand-Crank-Flashlight/dp/B0007CL02S/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1356649313&sr=1-8&keywords=crank+radio .

Lastly some fire tender, like cotton balls doused in Petroleum jelly, dryer lint and/or fat wood.  Hand sanitizer works well with this as well.

I'm using sisal rope for tender, making it into a birds nest, I'll add some hand sanitizer for accelerate. Why more food? This is a quick move bag to a secure, stocked place. Id dont plan to use the food here for more than 4 days max, and I can always hunt to substitute if something stops me from traveling the miles to home. I'l look into the different cooking ideas, I'm used to MRE's in the Marines, so the cook set stuff skipped my mind. I'll throw in an extra tarp, I like my canvas to much to get rid of it for now. I had given though to the radio, but again for a 3 day bag, is it really necessary?

I think you're in pretty good shape. Add some water and a bit of food. If you're planning on 3 to 5 days, collecting food is a secondary consideration. You can carry what you need. Ramen noodles and energy bars are plenty.

You may get hungry, but so what? Most of us carry a few days extra calories around our midsection anyway.

Here is my priority list for a 3 to 7 day get-home kit.

1) Hydration. Keep 4 1-quart bottles of water in your BOB. Keep a few coffee filters and some iodine tablets. And a small filter. I have this one. http://m.buy.com/product/details/222936039?listingID=258977074 I do need to add a couple water bladders

2) Warmth. Looks like you have redundant methods of building a fire. Keep warm clothes, headgear gloves and footwear with you. Especially in winter.

3) Dry. A small tarp and some dry clothes. Combine your warm clothes and dry clothes (Gore-tex) to save space and weight. And...

4). Protection. You seem to have that covered with your first aid and weapons.

And a blade, obviously. You have that covered too.

I'll add in a couple pairs of long johns, I have good gloves, but I need some better cold weather head gear. I'm also having a capote made that I'll be using for major warmth if its cold weather. I'm using the canvas for a dry spot, though I may add a tarp as suggested here and above.

Something to cook/boil water in. maybe some bleach to purify in a hurry. little aluminum foil. extra socks and clothing. and throw in a few bandanas, all sorts of things to use those for. I have salt/pepper and sports drink mix in my mess kit, maybe add some of that, no sense in eating bland food. LOL. for a short 2-3 day hike id say your covered with these items and what you already have.

oh, and maybe 2 wool blankets. it can get a lil nippy. i threw in a few of those space blankets. very compact and take up little space and you can get em few like a buck or 2. you can even use them to catch water or keep water off you. they are mettalic so itl be seen a long ways. thats the only down side.  

I forgot the bleach, and I'll find a metal container to add to the kit. I have added 5 bandanas of different colors. I'll add some salt/pepper, and will probably add coffee instead of sports mix as a morale booster. I plan to use my wool capote as a second blanket as its large, and heavy wool. I'll look into the mettalic blankets.

i would also have 2 water containers. one for clean filtered water and one for dirty water. dont cross contaminate. obviously.

lets get together when it warms up and practice with our bags. the only time ive used mine was at your house for a night. lol.

doesnt do any good unless you know how to use your stuff.

Yes we do, a good three day weekend would probably point out any flaws, and help u get adjusted.

I had never thought of candy. I'll zip lock some lifesavers and other hard stuff tonight. I've never heard of Katadyn filters, off to google.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far guys!!

We probably just doubled your pack weight!!! :)  If you decide to add and additional blanket, I'd suggest that you go with a lightweight sleeping bag, instead.  Two wool blankets are going to get heavy, somewhere in the 10 to 15 lb range!!!

The reason for more food, is because you will be burning calories like crazy if, God forbade, the worst happens and you actually have to use this stuff! Anxiety alone will increase your metabolism and cause you to burn calories. While hunting might be an option, do you really want to draw a lot of attention to yourself by using a firearm?  Or even take the time to hunt?  That was the reason for the slingshot.  A slingshot makes virtually no noise.  The fishing kit suggested earlier was a great suggestion as well!

Another suggestion is some salt, pepper and hot sauce for your food.  In the Army, everything was better with hot sauce!

One advantage a wool blanket has over the sleeping bag is when it gets wet.
What if you fell in water or it's pouring rain? Wool will insulate even when wet.

Ohh, that reminds me of something else you need. One or two of those super heavy drum liner trash bags. You can build a shelter from them, OR like we did in Boy Scouts, cut out arm and head holes and wear it like a rain poncho. It will go over you AND your pack. A wide brimmed hat will keep the rain from running down your neck. Edited by Caster
  • Like 1
Ive been putting together my bag for a SHTF situation. First Ill give you a lil background so I get respones geared toward my situation. In case of SHTF I plan to throw prepacked supplies in my truck and "bug out" to my parents place with sustaniable food, water, etc. Now this bag is geared towards making the trip on foot in a bad situation. Im using a 3 day assault pack. Right now I have a basic first aid kit, baby wipes, lighters, matches, metal match, nomex gloves, sunglasses, zip ties, duct tape, 100 ft of paracord, tampons, maxi pads for bandages, small towel, toilet paper, couple packs ramen noodles, few energy bars, two boxes of ammo for pistol, and 40 rds for rifle, large and Small fixed blade knives custom built for this purpose, a wool blanket and water proof canvas tied on The bottom. I know I need a water purfication set up, and would like suggestions. Am I missing anything? Right now the pack is light and easy to go long distance with, and knowing the bag, my pistol and my rifle will be all I carry if I have to leave the truck, I want it to be sustaniable but light. The trip to my dads on roads is 25 miles, 15 miles through the mountains, though consdering the terrian, its at least 2 days overland. So what am I missing?

packing for a SHTF scenario is next to impossible IMO since you really have no idea the type of situation you will be dealing with. For me, I packed the basics, along the lines of what you have. Anything that I do not want to get wet is in ziplocks sealed with duct tape

In regards to water puri, you can keep it simple with puri tabs or just boil your own. I have the Aquamira Frontier Filter straw which can filter up to 20gallons of water. I've used it on more than few occasions and it works great.

and then the best way to figure out your gear and what you may want to remove/add is to get out there and test it out. take a couple miles of the route to your Dad's house and hike it. even better, hike that area in bad conditions such as now when it's wet and cold.

Like another poster on Page 1 of this thread, I have a canteen & canteen cup in addition to my 3L hydration bladder.

what brand pack are you rockin?

oliver springs is an area I'm starting to get familiar with since I moved to TN, very beautiful. the first time I hiked out there I failed to compensate for the temp drop. it was at least 10 degree cooler than here in Knoxville...found out right away I needed to add a balaclava to my kit.

Edited by aknut
One advantage a wool blanket has over the sleeping bag is when it gets wet.
What if you fell in water or it's pouring rain? Wool will insulate even when wet.

Ohh, that reminds me of something else you need. One or two of those super heavy drum liner trash bags. You can build a shelter from them, OR like we did in Boy Scouts, cut out arm and head holes and wear it like a rain poncho. It will go over you AND your pack. A wide brimmed hat will keep the rain from running down your neck.

Oh, I know about the awesome properties of wool. That's what I usually camp with and keep with my BOB.  But I would not carry two of them.  Way too much weight to lug around.  My wool blanket alone is a third of the weight of my BOB without the food and water.

This had been a good read.  I admit didn't get it all read tonight.

However one thing I didn't see and maybe I over looked it.

Since you are planning up to a 2 day walk, 15 miles one way or 25 the other, you might want to setup 2 small caches (at least 1 on the 15 mile) and store a fair amount of water so that it would be along the trail you are planning.  Since this would only be a 2/3 day hike, probably don't need to make major caches but at least water and fire starting supplies.  Then along with your pack should be pretty good.

Myself I need to plan a 5 day pack with 1 or 2 caches to hike the path I would consider.