Bug out bag contents

I've tried the pocket chainsaw, don't care for it.  I'd recommend a pruning saw (Bahco Laplander) or a military grade multistrand wire saw.

Headlamp type flashlight, very helpful when you need to move at night.  Don't skimp on this one, get the best you can afford and make sure it has a red only setting or filter

A couple of candles, with a little candle lantern if you can afford the space/weight.  Better than burning batteries for nighttime camp chores.

Lightweight shovel -  some things you're gonna want to bury, you know?

Speaking of which, make sure your TP is in a freezer bag

2 sturdy needles and some thread - you don't want to wreck your paracord to stitch up a tear.  I recommend the lighter grade stuff that Tandy leather sells.  Incredible breaking strength.  2 needles so you can saddle stitch.

Water is great to have, heavy to carry.  If you're gonna be near a water source during the trip, figure on enough containers for 4 liters (in addition to your camelbak) if you are using a filter.  Two filtered or treated, two untreated.  Mark 'em so you know which is which.  Staying on a water source long enough to filter might not be a good idea. 

Chemical purification takes 30-40 minutes, by the way, so don't put a few drops in, shake it up and drink it down.  Using a rubberband to hold one of your bandannas over the mouth of your water bottle when doing a quick fill will keep the particulates down.  Use another bandanna to wipe the threads and outside of bottle dry after filling, to prevent recontaminating, before putting the lid back on.

Edited by Mark@Sea
Id rather just use one my big knife to chop than try to carry an extra saw or cable saw. Same thing with the the shovel, my camp knife will easily dig a hole big enough for that. A multitool is part of my everyday carry. Why a .22 pistol? Im already carrying a self defense semi auto and a deer rifle. If its for hunting why not a. 22 rifle, and if its for protection, I have better options. Ill have to look into the thread from tandy and the needles.
Hunting use. A .22 pistol is much easier to pack than a rifle especially since you probably wont need it and your already packing a rifle. You're more likely to see small game than a deer.

No defensive scenario you couldnt realistically handle with a deer rifle and pistol and situational awareness.

A lot of people are suggesting setting up small caches of supplies/water.  The problem I run into is most of my trail is through unknown areas.  There is no way, realistically, to hike this trail unless I had to (real deal SHTF).  I am forced to carry all.  The one advantage Is that I will not be alone and can divide the weight evenly.  Water is indeed the heaviest item and I will just carry what we can and takes my chances.  I am certainly hoping to be able to drive to my spot, but like the OP said, what if I need to ditch?  One cannot prepare for every situation, just be prepared in general.

Same problem here. There isn't a set trail, I'm heading right into the mountains that I know, but they have been logged, mined, and hunted, but not hiked, so no marked trails. Ive been in them my whole life, and instead of caching water, I'll be using my local knowledge of local creeks and good clean natural springs that dont run dry. I plan to make a dry run this winter, sans rifle as I do have to move through some lightly populated backroads to get into the woods and don't want any run ins with law enforcement.  I'll probably meet my wife at the dge of the woodw where I'll turn up, and pick up the rifle there.  Then I pln to do the same in the summer, and all different kinds of times and temps to make sure I know what Ill be facing

Good idea spots, I just don't think i would want to try mine.  Your trek is different than mine.  I have a lot of populated areas to cross before i am "home free".  I think trying it out in advance is the best advice you can give someone.  Then they can see what works and what doesn't.

I've even thrown in one of those fire starter logs in my box in my truck. Those things make a fire easy.

Also keep one of those big fold out tool sets in my truck.

Also keep my Carhartt jumpsuit in there. Edited by TLRMADE

Spots, I'd suggest you add some additional weight to your BOB, to compensate for not carrying the rifle.if you make a practice run.  While 7 or 8 pounds might not seem like much, you will feel it at the end of the day.  By adding the weight of the rifle in, You will know exactly what it will feel like.  Are you planning on just hiking or trying to sneak as well? That could put a bit more challenge into you journey.

If you carry some sort of water purification system (boiling, chemicals, or purifier ), you won't have to hunt for clean water.  Any water will just about do.  Giardia is a bad thing to get.

Another lightweight item you could carry that might come in hand for catching food is a rat trap.

All you need is an iphone to call the gov. for help  :up:

/in serious mode\ A multi-tool would be highly recommended, although I'm sure you'll have a plethora of knives, a good leatherman/gerber (or whatever brand) is essential imho.

[quote name='Sam1' timestamp='1356823639' post='871657']All you need is an iphone to call the gov. for help  :up:   /in serious mode A multi-tool would be highly recommended, although I'm sure you'll have a plethora of knives, a good leatherman/gerber (or whatever brand) is essential imho.[/quote] I carry one everday should i ad another Sent from behind my anvil in ye olde smithy
The whole 22 thing is lost on me. I'm not stupid, I understand what y'all are saying but its obvious that if you need a 22 to hunt small game because your larger deer rifle will destroy it, you're not a handloader.

Take my Win '94. I have near max loads that shoot very good groups, loaded with 160g Hornady FTX. gauranteed to take down anything in tn. I have an extremely accurate load w/ a 180g cast bullet that is mild enough to shoot in volume but plenty enough for deer, wild pigs.....or long pigs.

Whst about a ground hog or you need to get rid of a pesky wild dog. I have a 100g cast bullet that shoots straight and zips along quite well.

Okay, but what about a bunny or a squirrel? I take a resized case, run it deeper than normal into a Lyman M die so the moth is flared well. I run two .32 cal round balls through a .311 sizer. Seating the first ball near the bottom of the neck, add a dollop of lube and add the other ball making sure the equator is below the mouth. Lightly crimp. Use about 5.0g of Unique and you got heck of a bunny load. Deadly but not destructive.

SO, by carrying an ammunition pouch and using colored markers on the primers to identify them quickly, the humble ole '94 can and will do it all. At least here in TN.

...and in all honesty, my roundball load is nowhere near as loud as .22 long rifle. Edited by Caster
I just picked up 8 16oz collapsible water bottles to complete my BOB bag, and 4 water purifiers that screw on the caps. Now we can all have 2 bags and a filter each.

Where did you find the filters at? I've been looking locally, but obviously not in the right spot.

Guest polishprepper
I've been a back packer and hunter for over 20 years everybody seems to overlook heading to places like REI. They have the lightweight waterproof gear you need. Don't carry canvas to heavy look at waterproof bivy sacks they weigh approx one pound and you can carry a 20 degree mummy style bag the weighs in at less than 3 pounds.....stay away from cotton.....cotton kills was the saying I always heard. It has no insulating properties and when it gets wet it stays wet.....merino wool doesn't itch naturally anti microbial and insulates while wet.....also if you go down on anything make sure to get one that has goretex or something equal.....there are a whole bunch of different types of water purification systems I use the sweet water brand .......pumps twice as fast as other brands and is lightweight. They also have gravity style filters the filter large quantities quickly. I'm still new to prepping but my backpacking experience is priceless...
[quote name='polishprepper' timestamp='1356884718' post='872134']I've been a back packer and hunter for over 20 years everybody seems to overlook heading to places like REI. They have the lightweight waterproof gear you need. Don't carry canvas to heavy look at waterproof bivy sacks they weigh approx one pound and you can carry a 20 degree mummy style bag the weighs in at less than 3 pounds.....stay away from cotton.....cotton kills was the saying I always heard. It has no insulating properties and when it gets wet it stays wet.....merino wool doesn't itch naturally anti microbial and insulates while wet.....also if you go down on anything make sure to get one that has goretex or something equal.....there are a whole bunch of different types of water purification systems I use the sweet water brand .......pumps twice as fast as other brands and is lightweight. They also have gravity style filters the filter large quantities quickly. I'm still new to prepping but my backpacking experience is priceless...[/quote] My packback experince is limted to more miles than I wanted under a USMC ilbe pack. I can't really afford to go blow a couple hundred bucks on a bivy and a nice bag right now. The canvas works, and has for hundreds of years. It adds weight, but for right now I have a stroner back than wallet. As for the mini 14 and pistol, I definetly dont have the money for that upgrade right now. So my Marlin 336 and a Springfield 1911 will suffice. Thanks for all the advice and this is starting to be a good catch all thread. Sent from behind my anvil in ye olde smithy
Where did you find the filters at? I've been looking locally, but obviously not in the right spot.

Ordered them online. I just got them and tested them yesterday and they fit on the bottle top perfectly and the water doen't taste weird or anything like that. I tested with a small creek at a friends. We will see if I get sick :-)

My packback experince is limted to more miles than I wanted under a USMC ilbe pack. I can't really afford to go blow a couple hundred bucks on a bivy and a nice bag right now. The canvas works, and has for hundreds of years. It adds weight, but for right now I have a stroner back than wallet. As for the mini 14 and pistol, I definetly dont have the money for that upgrade right now. So my Marlin 336 and a Springfield 1911 will suffice. Thanks for all the advice and this is starting to be a good catch all thread. Sent from behind my anvil in ye olde smithy

I think those are great BOB guns. My bags will always have a levergun. I went to a revolver as my hand gun just for the fact they don't jam. But 1911 is a great choice. plus you will most likely have your carry gun on you when it is time so you will have 2 hand guns.

Guest polishprepper
As far as BOB contents has anyone put in theirs a magnesium stick and flint fire starter kit? Mine has been priceless in the mountains....unless you wax the entire wood match its useless because the wood still gets wet...and waterproof cases are great until you have to open them in a downpour with cold hands and drop everything.....damn now what!!
[quote name='polishprepper' timestamp='1356898277' post='872319']As far as BOB contents has anyone put in theirs a magnesium stick and flint fire starter kit? Mine has been priceless in the mountains....unless you wax the entire wood match its useless because the wood still gets wet...and waterproof cases are great until you have to open them in a downpour with cold hands and drop everything.....damn now what!![/quote] I carry a magnesium fire starter and an old school flint and steel fire starter with a sealed tin of char cloth. A dozen bic lighters and my edc zippo, plus some good matches. Sent from behind my anvil in ye olde smithy