Anybody else embarassed to sell an AR?

Guest twpayne75

And 10 years from now the only transferable AR's are the ones that are to be registered via NFA just like machine guns. That $1500 purchase may be worth a house at that point. Impossible to say, but it's just all speculation. I say, sell it at market value, and don't feel bad. Feel bad if you buy at current market value and then 6 months from now whatever you purchased today is worth 50% of what you paid for you. THAT is when you feel bad:)

I think if they made them NFA guns, the opposite of what happened to machine guns would happen.  With machine guns, there aren't that many out there on the market because there aren't that many transferable guns period (only those made before 1986).  Demand is low, but supply is much lower.  There are MILLIONS of AR's, AK's, and other Semi-Autos out there that would potentially go on the NFA now.  So now you are suppressing demand (due to the hassle of the NFA process) to very high supply.  I think the prices would fall through the floor.  If they put all existing "Assault Weapons" on the NFA list, it would probably make sense to sell them off before the ruling takes effect. 

I really don't have any idea what is actually going to happen.  I think prices will be higher than what they were a few weeks ago for a long time to come.  Even if no new legislation comes, I think people will be waiting for yet another shooting spree to start it all over again, so may keep prices high.  They may fall a bit from where they are today, but there will be a new normal. 

Edited by atlas3025
IF there is a ban, you'll be glad to get something at a higher price before you can't get them at all. IF there is no ban, you'll probably feel disappointed in paying a high price for something. (I've had this happen both ways before plenty of times, buying something and seeing a better price elsewhere and actually getting a good deal I can't find anywhere else). IF there is no ban, prices will come back down, but not at the prices we're used to seeing. I'll bet they will still be above the "Before Panic" prices. It's kinda like playing the stock market.
They will ban those too if they go after AR's. Maybe not the .22's, but I bet they get them too.

As I understand it, any semi-auto firearm capable of taking +10 round mag detachable mag, or one with pistol grip stock, or ....

I see no exemption for .22LR for that yet from everything I've seen, but still haven't seen actual text of the bill.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I haven't seen the active policing on this site by mods like i have on other sites in the classifieds, sigforum comes to mind.  I was within afew weeks of saving enough to buy my first ar when people went crazy, o well, I was patient before, i'll just have to be patient again.

10 years ago.....
Looked at a 1,000 round can of Green Tip, price was $120. I said to myself "I'll never pay that price, ever."

Pulled to a gas pump at a shell, started to pump gas and then noticed the price, $1.25 a gallon. Said to myself "Non sense, I'll never pay that price for gas."

Today.....
Well, you all know today's prices. I look at the jacked up prices 2 ways.
1. Glad I have what I need. Buying won't be an issue at these prices.
2. As far as selling, do what you want.

I personally believe in "The Golden Rule" & "Karma". There's a particular T intersection near my house that's a nightmare to turn left at, I make it a point to wave other drivers through if possible. I always remember the first thought that runs trough my mind when others don't wave me through. It's not there job to do it and they are not breaking any laws if they don't. Fair enough, but it always feels good when someone waives you through or you do it for them. Maybe "What goes around comes around" isn't real, but who knows.

Sorry for no line breaks, I-pad is acting up. Edited by FIST

I'm late to the topic, but I'm having the same dilemma. 

Here's an alternative view, though.  If you want to buy something now or anytime soon, you're not going to pay what you could have 2 weeks ago.  The market has just changed.  It may come back but most of us doubt it will anytime soon.

My approach so far - I'll attempt to trade first on TGO.  But, I may end up posting on an auction site and let the market set the price.  If I end up getting an inflated market price, then that makes it easier for me to pay an inflated market price for something else I want/need.

Is it wrong to sell a house when the market inflates? Does the market bring higher prices when there are more buyers than sellers? Who here sold their house before the bubble burst? Step out of the shadows so that we may shame you into giving a refund!

People have the courage to ask higher prices on online forums because they see what's happening on auction sites. Market efficiency with price discovery is at a high level with the information age we live in. Price too high? Market won't buy. Price too low? You'll have people buying to re-sell for higher prices to a market they have knowledge about.

We are empowered to make choices - buying and selling both - that suit us for whatsoever reason we choose. I am one who believes that free markets rise AND fall freely. The 2008 AR market boom and bust ought to be proof enough. Is it 2008 or 1994 now? Soon enough, we'll have an answer, and the market price will react accordingly...
You can believe what you want about markets, but when
politics and news orgs start injecting fear and potential for
additional restrictions which may or may not happen, doesn't
make for the "free market" you believe is here. Manipulation
is around every where.

OP. If you are looking here for some kind of moral compass,
look inward instead. It's your business not mine. No one
around around here can give you your justification. Not
theirs to give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A market doesn't have to be "free" to still be a market.  I don't think anyone is arguing that the market is devoid of outside variables which affect its asset pricing.  All markets have them.

It doesn't change the fact that the current market price is what it is.

You can believe what you want about markets, but when
politics and news orgs start injecting fear and potential for
additional restrictions which may or may not happen, doesn't
make for the "free market" you believe is here. Manipulation
is around every where.
Edited by Sysvr4

sell your stuff for what you can get for it.  Bothers me not in the least, though I do think gun owners are our own worst enemy in this deal.

And I won't be participating in the craziness.

AR's are not worth one penny more now than they were a year ago, they just cost more.

• Like 1

I've not been thinking about selling my converted Saiga .223, but I have been thinking about trading it for Ruger Scout.  I have no problem with someone selling a Modern Sporting Rifle at an inflated price.  I just think that those that are panicking and paying said higher prices are not the sharpest tools in the shed.  I think prices will come back down at some point.  Then they will spike again when it appears we are close to a vote on some sort of AWB.

Im selling all my stuff...if people are foolish enough to pay what they are paying im gonna sell. I let the market dictate... :-)

Do I feel bad? Not a bit..why should I...i didnt force em to waste their money and they are gonna spend it somewhere anyways...now if Obama would just start talking about a ban on cars LOL. Edited by Magiccarpetrides
  • Like 2

It is simple ecomonic...  supply and demand.  People that have been postponing buying guns, mags, ammo etc are now thinking their time is running out.  Guns, mags, ammo are like stock.  Buy them low and sell them high.  A fool and his money are soon parted.  The value of an object is what people will pay for it. 

John

• Like 1
Im selling all my stuff...if people are foolish enough to pay what they are paying im gonna sell.  I let the market dictate...all of em start at .01 with no reserve.  :-)

Do I feel bad?  Not a bit..why should I...i didnt force em to waste their money and they are gonna spend it somewhere anyways...now if Obama would just start talking about a ban on cars LOL.

Yeh, now there's a war brewing if we are all stuck in EZ Go golf Carts!

I believe in supply and demand, but give the market some time (maybe months) to see if prices will settle if you are a buyer. I personally have the handguns, rifles and shotguns that I feel comfortable with. I have no need for any additional weapons, but to have some wants. The biggest effect will be the price of ammunition and reloading supplies, for as we shoot/practice/etc our supplies deminish.  I have two Dillion 550B's that will get more use. If a buyer, Wait for prices to settle, if a seller make a profit but maybe consider OBO. 

I haven't seen the active policing on this site by mods like i have on other sites in the classifieds, sigforum comes to mind. 

I apologize for the inconvenience.

I left my Digital Global Market & Pricing Control Device in my other pants, and I'm afraid that my Analog Global Market & Pricing Control Device is outdated and and can not change internet demand and pricing. As soon as I find my pants, I will return all gun prices back normal.

Thank you for your continued patience in this matter.

:)

• Like 1
I apologize for the inconvenience.

I left my Digital Global Market & Pricing Control Device in my other pants, and I'm afraid that my Analog Global Market & Pricing Control Device is outdated and and can not change internet demand and pricing. As soon as I find my pants, I will return all gun prices back normal.

Thank you for your continued patience in this matter.

:)

Please don't take what i said to mean that there should be more policing, you guys are doing a great job. I come here many times a day because I know there will be fairly priced deals.  I understand that supply and demand will dictate what items will be sold for. Like someone else said, a fool and his money will soon part ways. 

I’m curious what you mean? Do they set the pricing for guns on their forum?

a few ads got yanked for reselling items at an inflated price iirc

if every one would just calm down a little prices would get back to near normal

fear is driving it up right now i have been telling folks to stock up on supplies for several years

like a lot of other markets the gun and related market is fragile and now its fear driven

this will pass i dont think guns will be banned this time jmo

i think we will see the end of buying ammo on the internet some new laws went into effect today with that in mind with the dot

yes i am in the reloading supply and ammo buisness and have been very busy with all that has happened

i do think that this will be the end of a privite sale of any gun

most of the jacked up prices i have seen be it guns or ammo are not dealers just someone trying to sell at a big  markup

knowing that later down the road they can replace it again just my 2 cents worth

• Like 1