Anybody else embarassed to sell an AR?

Guest twpayne75

I intend for this to be my last post on this thread. I just want to know who is exactly "in need" of a 30 round ar-15 magazine. It's not as if they sustain life. You show me one person that "needs" one, because if they don't have it life as they know it will end.

Such a simplistic attitude and response isn't in the least bit shocking. What goes around, comes around. I am a firm believer in Karma. If you can live with it, so be it.

That's exactly the answer I expected. You can't give a legit answer so try to belittle the questioner. Good job.

I didn't realize a need was always necessarily a matter of life and death. I've help some people in need, and some have helped me when in need. Not too many of those occasions involved life and death.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
I don't really have a problem with what he's doing. If he has an opportunity then take it and make a few bucks from it. That's capitalism. Because he's got an opportunity that most of us don't have that's no reason to be offended. Now I doubt I would be advertising it. That's like people that were affected by hurricane sandy and people were bringing gas and charging large amounts for it. Yeah it was damn expensive but if it hadn't been brought they'd have no gas for generators etc.
  • Like 1

I love when people skyline themselves and their morality/ethics.

Some people have them, some people don't. And I suppose there are varying degrees. There are much better men than myself.

Like most here, I am merely sharing my opinion. What he did/is doing is not something I would do or could do. Personally, I do see it as a morality/ethics issue, but that's just my opinion. Some will agree, some won't.

If he had these PMAGs sitting in his closet and decided to take advantage of the frenzy and make a few bucks, so be it. Even if he was going to keep them for personal use. But that's not at all what happened. He saw an opportunity to take advantage of his position at his place of employment for a profit (Gander Mountain?), and he did. Take issue with my opinion, if you will, but I stand by it. Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1
Guest RevScottie
A good guide as to wether it is right or wrong is would you or management share this information with customers on the floor? How do you think a customer would react when told " Sorry buddy we are out of hi cap mags; we let our employees get first shot at those so that they can sell them in bulk on EBay at a huge profit"
Yeah, this is kinda the same as folks who were cleaning Walmarts out of the prepaid smart phones so they could ebay them for 3 times the profit. Nothing legally I wrong with that. However, it creates an artificial shortage of an item which screws the consumer and only benefits a small portion of the phone buying population. So while it may not be illegal, it is a generally douchey thing to do and shows the low character of those that do it. On another note, somehow I doubt that his management at Gander Mountain would approve of him buying out stock before the customers get a crack just so he can turn a profit on it. The reason they give their employees access like that is for personal use, not off hours profiting. When I was a Walmart employee I received a 10% discount. That wasn't so I could buy up Playstations when they first came out so I could turn around and sell 'em at a profit when the shelves immediately emptied. I woulda gotten fired.
  • Like 1
Guest RevScottie

Id have no problem telling customers that, if the customers don't like it they can complain to management and change policies. Until then he's only playing by the rules set forth. Now personally it's not something I'm going to do but still don't have an issue with it.

Customers are more likely to realize they aren't valued and will just go somewhere else.
[quote name="orientalexpress" post="877838" timestamp="1357539930"] Tell that's to places like walmart[/quote] If Walmart found out that one of their employees was buying out the ammo then selling online for a marked up price, they would fire them. I can only assume the reason Gander Mountain hasn't fired this employee is because the aren't aware he is abusing his employee privileges to make a profit.
My point wasn't that Walmart wouldn't fire someone for something like that, it was that they, (at least in my experience) have always had horrible customer service. Yet they thrive because of "low prices". I know this is another issue altogether but I'd rather spend more else where than go to the zoo that is Walmart.

If Walmart found out that one of their employees was buying out the ammo then selling online for a marked up price, they would fire them. I can only assume the reason Gander Mountain hasn't fired this employee is because the aren't aware he is abusing his employee privileges to make a profit.

I worked for Target a long time and every year there's a toy for Christmas that's impossible to get. As employees we knew when new shipments would arrive. As long as you were off the clock you could buy them and do whatever you wanted. Some people put them on eBay or whatever. Too me it's not any different, that's a benefit of working there.

I worked for Target a long time and every year there's a toy for Christmas that's impossible to get. As employees we knew when new shipments would arrive. As long as you were off the clock you could buy them and do whatever you wanted. Some people put them on eBay or whatever. Too me it's not any different, that's a benefit of working there.

Low prices and customer service notwithstanding, the point is at least they would respect their customers enough to not allow their employees to misuse their privileges in order to screw the consumer, profit from said screwing, and create/contribute to an artificial market drought of a particular item.

I would assume Gander Mountain is no different, which is why I also assume the individual in question has deleted his old posts to cover his a$$. Perhaps a follow up call to Gander Mountain management could confirm/deny that this practice is acceptable. At least then we'd know where they stand in regards to how they value their customers.

Someone help me out; am I not being logical/reasonable here? Am I missing something? Is this really the community I've always been proud to tout as having a higher moral character than the average mouth breathing American? Edited by TMF
  • Like 1

You're right, it's no different.
[quote name="orientalexpress" post="877873" timestamp="1357558978"]I worked for Target a long time and every year there's a toy for Christmas that's impossible to get. As employees we knew when new shipments would arrive. As long as you were off the clock you could buy them and do whatever you wanted. Some people put them on eBay or whatever. Too me it's not any different, that's a benefit of working there.[/quote] I doubt your old employer would agree. I recall that as an employee, using my employee discount to purchase items for resale was a firing offense. Even as a regular patron, it is still a d**k move to buy out all stock on something to create an artificial drought and cash in on it. What's going on right now with shortages has less to do with folks worried about buying up stuff in fear of a ban and more to do with folks clearing the shelves so they can make a profit off the situation. Those folks I would classify as first rate douche nozzles.
  • Like 2
Guest RevScottie

But i doubt that Target would approve of you taking ten of those impossible to get toys out of the case before it hit the sales floor and then re-selling them.

And for the recored I find Walmart's customer service no better or worse than any other retailer. If I had a horrible experience everytime I went then  I wouldnt return no matter how good the prices were.

[quote name="RevScottie" post="877943" timestamp="1357568501"] And for the recored I find Walmart's customer service no better or worse than any other retailer. If I had a horrible experience everytime I went then  I wouldnt return no matter how good the prices were.[/quote] They just comped me $100 off an iPad 4 at Christmas after the manager in electronics quoted me the wrong price over the phone and I showed up looking for it. I didn't get huffy with her or even expect to get comped. She did it because she felt as if she misled me on price and that the store owed it to me. This all happened in the crazy pre-Christmas rush of customers. That is some pretty good customer service if you ask me.
Guest RevScottie

Someone help me out; am I not being logical/reasonable here? Am I missing something? Is this really the community I've always been proud to tout as having a higher moral character than the average mouth breathing American?

You aren't missing anything.  Even in the community that we are usually proud of there are people more interested in making a profit than anything else in life and will try every way possible to justify it. Just because your company allows something doesn't make it ethical.

I have been looking for a couple of magazines for my 10/22. LGS got 5 in and they were at an uninflated price. I only bought one although I certainly could have afforded to buy all of them. I remembered back a week previously that someone had purchased the entire stock of 10/22 mags at another LGS and I thought it was a crappy way to act so I left the remaining stock for someone else. Greed is a poor characteristic to display in any community including gun owners.

I can't speak for gander mountain but at target there were purchase limits on highly sought after items, whether you were an employee or joe blow off the street. To me if there's no rules set forth by the employer or retail store I still don't have a problem. Is it a douche move? Probably. Is it wrong? I doubt it. Besides we don't know how many they were getting if he bought 10 out of 100 is that too many? Maybe it was 10 out of 10, could have been 15 out of 300. I don't recall him saying.

I doubt your old employer would agree. I recall that as an employee, using my employee discount to purchase items for resale was a firing offense. Even as a regular patron, it is still a d**k move to buy out all stock on something to create an artificial drought and cash in on it. What's going on right now with shortages has less to do with folks worried about buying up stuff in fear of a ban and more to do with folks clearing the shelves so they can make a profit off the situation. Those folks I would classify as first rate douche nozzles.

TMF, I too have been starting to question the character of the firearms community. After all this gouging stuff and the responses to possible bans in Illinois (Hope it passes, f them glad I'm not there) and I just shake my head in disgust. I know it's not everyone but its amazing how those that take advantage of others would be crying wolf if the tables turned. Perks of a job are great, just remember that when you flip your lid becuase a cop passed you doing twice the speed limit and then gives you a ticket for speeding.