Anybody else embarassed to sell an AR?

Guest twpayne75

Guys this is nothing like jacking up prices of necessary items like water and food during a disaster like Sandy or Katrina.  No one on this board needs a mag over 5rds (correct me if im wrong hunters) to fill their meat locker and feed their family for the winter.  So if someone is willing to spend too much so they can "beat the ban" and the believe all this hoopla then as the saying goes "a fool and their money...."

As blasphemous as it is to say this 99% of the members on our board will never/have never needed their firearms to defend themselves or their family and honestly if you waited til now and passed up all the $12 pmags when times were "good" then your kind of a fool and have piss poor planning.  I recently sold some ammo on gunbroker because I have always bought it over the years when their was a "deal" here and there and I have way more then I will probably shoot in 10 years or at least before all these "chiken littles" realize the sky isnt falling and ammo goes back to normal.  The market determines the value of an item and if the market is full of stupid people that actually believe the sh*t "cheaper than dirt" is spewing than so be it. 

If one person in here can [EDIT]-prove to me that their life and firearms hobby has been negatively effected by only owning 3 pmags instead of 5 since they can no longer afford the inflated prices please by all means tell me how wrong I am.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
You make some good points, but I gotta say, you completely lost me here. [quote name="Magiccarpetrides" post="878297" timestamp="1357594784"] No one on this board needs a mag over 5rds[/quote] Also kinda resent the implication that I'm some kind of idiot for not stocking up, especially considering I've only lived in a state that allows full capacity mags for less than a year. Only just got into ARs about 6months ago also, maybe further proof I'm an idiot?
[quote name="Rowdy" post="878550" timestamp="1357612010"] I think he was referring to hunting.[/quote] Yes you are correct I was locked into my soapbox and the comprehension sufferered for it. Tricky not an idiot but you shoulda moved sooner (jk) But no I'm sorry you chose a crap time to get into AR's but that still is no ones fault but your own ;-)
Guest carter

i never had planned on selling mine... i only have one cause that's all i need... i did go to a local walmart this morning on an ammo search and was chatting with the guy at the counter about out ragious prices and such...he said there colt AR's are still at like 1099 i think it was... and he said some guy had offered him 100 dollars to save for him and wanted 3 rifles colt/bushmaster... I'm like WHAT! i told him do not bother calling him if u get one in he is just going to buy them all and resell them at double what he paid... so 100 bucks is really nothing for him to eat... on the other hand i did find a box of winchester 550 count 22lr :D ... i had put up a glock i had just sitting in the safe brand spankin new never shot and some guy offered me a price and i said ok...then was looking on a site you can sell guns on and poof there was and add for a glosk 19 and his name and trying to sell my gun for 200 more than he was going to pay me for it... so needless to say i didn't sell it to him  >:) they can all stick it where the sun don't shine... i was being fare and actually giving him a deal on a brand new gun for him to try and rip someone else off...no ma'am

I finally went into my lgs for the first time since the latest panic began. All I can say is WOW! Ten minutes after opening, the parking lot was full and people were bravely parking on the side streets. I'm not in need of another AR, but I wanted to see what was available. Two display cases were completely bare and they only had a few ARs on the shelves behind the counter. I was able to obtain and pay wayyyyy too much for another Glock, so the trip wasn't a total waste. Edited by LINKS2K
Guest carter

its different if you're offered money for it rather than your asking price... if your offered sure take it...but when your intentions are to turn a quick buck and rip someone off and buy all someones stock to resell at double what you paid for it i have an issue with that... 

A friend of mine told me that a couple of days ago he saw a guy walking out of Academy Sports in Smyrna with 2 Pmags. He has a few he bought and I sold him a couple of mine, so he wasn't looking to buy any but he knows how hard they are to find. While standing at the counter just checking out the bare walls, he overheard the guy behind the counter say that they have a 2 per person limit on them now,  "The reason we have a limit is because last week we had 80 come in and one guy bought every last one of them and it pissed off the manager because nobody else was able to buy any out of the whole shipment." I'll never tell anyone "Hey, 4 mags is enough for you", or 20, or whatever but 80??? I'm sure they are on the internet for sale or will be in a gun show soon. I actually commend the manager for trying to help at least more than one person have a chance at some stock, even though most people that have a regular work schedule won't make it in there early enough to see most of what's put out in the mornings. Just thought I'd share what I'd heard.

Guest carter

i went to academy for the first time this morning...firs time i have set foot in one... was a bit lost but spent maybe an hour looking around the store... they had more ammo than i expected, no magazines what so ever that i saw... i didn't ask anyone either, but yes i do not agree with people buying up all a stores stock and then reselling it to gouge people... that's a very shady individual and dishonest person in my book... i remember when walmart had a 3 box limit on ammo a few years ago but have yet to see a sign up... I went to both walmart this morning in murfreesboro and came out with one box of 550 count winchester white box 22lr...he said they got 15 boxes and that was the last one that he had... dont get me started on people trying to sell stripped lowers for 600 a piece...burns me up and i hope these shady people get stuck with 100 mags they can't sell... i know I'm not buying a pmag for 40 bucks...not even 30 or 20 i might budge for a few for 18 bucks but that's my limit, i have all metal mags anyways...at the time they where cheaper and metal not plastic that would eventually wear faster than metal...just my thought

I bought a stripped lower before things went crazy, and managed to get a parts kit and a nice stock to make the lower complete.

It's all moot because now if ammo WAS available, I wouldn't be able to afford to shoot my AR anyway.

Halfway considering selling/trading it for an 870 Tactical which I'd rather have anyway.

I think it will be great if the panic subsides and these people are stuck with all this ammo and such that they thought would make them a huge profit.  

And regarding Gander - their prices on Glocks were $115 above Bill's Outpost when I bought mine.  Fortunately, they priced matched because Bill's was out of the G19.  

Seriously, $115 ABOVE - and that was the Gen 3.  They did have a Gen 4 in the back, so I lucked out.

I bought a stripped lower before things went crazy, and managed to get a parts kit and a nice stock to make the lower complete.

It's all moot because now if ammo WAS available, I wouldn't be able to afford to shoot my AR anyway.

Halfway considering selling/trading it for an 870 Tactical which I'd rather have anyway.

you can always get a 22lr bolt and shoot the heck out of it... im saving all of my .223 for SHTF days... 22lr can still be had for cheap

well its been brought to my attention...that you can sell your own guns or gun collection... BUT! if you go out and buy a firearm with the intentions of selling it to make a profit ...that's bad JUJU from the ATF... same goes with ammo... if your buying up all the ammo and reselling it to make a substantial profit...its against the law if you don't have an FFL and business license

same goes with ammo... if your buying up all the ammo and reselling it to make a substantial profit...its against the law if you don't have an FFL and business license

Nah.

• Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition?
  • No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)( B )]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#interchangeable-ammo-sales

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

talk to the guys at Murfreesboro Pawn about that one... they got tagged for some sort of ammo violation and don't even sell it anymore... at least a business license would be required if your doing it on a regular basis... probably just like selling cars...if you buy cars and fix them up and resell them on a regular basis im sure someone would look at that as a business

Edited by carter

talk to the guys at Murfreesboro Pawn about that one... they got tagged for some sort of ammo violation and don't even sell it anymore... at least a business license would be required if your doing it on a regular basis... probably just like selling cars...if you buy cars and fix them up and resell them on a regular basis im sure someone would look at that as a business

Some professions require a TN state business license, but selling ammo isn't one.

All counties and most cities "require" a business license for many businesses (requirements vary), and certainly most are enforced laxly if at all, unless you show up somehow or other with separate physical presence,  zoning database, high sales gross, whatever.

Maybe that pawn shop got stung for selling ammo without TN tax stamp on it or something, who knows. If you buy ammo directly from a retailer out of state or a wholesaler instate and resale it without purchasing the tax stamps, that's of course a no no.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest dubaholic2

I just want to say thank you to the person who was so offended by me selling some magazines, that they wrote a letter to the CEO of the company I worked for to complain about me making a couple bucks. I hope that you sleep better tonight knowing that I will no longer be selling any magazines, nor will I be making a living to support my wife and 3 year old daughter. I'm glad that you take pleasure in assuring that your beliefs in what a total stranger does are more important that my family eating.