Anybody else embarassed to sell an AR?

Guest twpayne75

Meh.  You come to a public forum to boast about potentially unethical activities (and also boasting that your employer could care less), you should expect some sort of fallout.  Anything else is naive.  This is the internet.  EVERYTHING is public.  TMF even warned him what could happen.  He chose to ignore it and plod on.  He reaped what he sowed.  Then he blames everyone but himself.  Some might call that a character flaw.

I guess, regardless of what we say, his company took a dim view on his (mis)use of an employee discount.

• Like 2

Im sure you have never refered to your customers as idiots? I have been in Gander post crazyiness and overhearing the conversations between customers I would be inclined to agree there are a bunch of mental midgets in that store. Yes to go out of your way to get someone fired (who admittedly didnt help his own case) is yes wrong. This is a gun forum for public conversation not for being a cry baby because someone did something you didnt like (that wasnt illegal).

I think most of us had moved on from his story until he came back crying because he got fired.

Aren't you a used car salesman for a company that you or a family member owns? I suppose you and / or the family member would be perfectly accepting of an employee disregarding company policies you put in place? Of course you wouldn't, especially if it shines a negative light on your livelihood. But because what he was doing didn't affect you or your business, it's perfectly acceptable.

His actions didn't warrant a letter to his boss, in my opinion, but surely he didn't expect to come here with that kind of story and not receive some backlash. I guess he did.

A large number of the threads on TGO are opinion based, and this one is no different. If you don't want to take the chance of having something you say criticized, you probably shouldn't post it. He chose to post it, and we have opinions. Yours are different than mine, but I'm sure that's not because you have unethical used car salesman blood running through your veins.
  • Like 1

wow, buying 10 pmags once a week wasn't the end of the world.  I get pissed at the ones who buy 30+ in front of me and clear out the dang place when i just wanted 3.  At the end of the day I see the same people lashing out and attacking people on these forums for their questionable practices when a simple private message would do.  Don't let this forum turn into Sons of Guns with drama and attacks every episode/post.

• Like 1
Wow, this really came full circle. I hate that dub lost his job (and no it wasn't me) but it was a silly thing to do and say openly. I can't say I would go so far as to write the CEO, but I also won't scream foul at whoever did.

I really think we can all learn a lesson that Dub learned the hard way. Your employer can see anything you post on the Internet. Nothing is private.
Guest RevScottie

Im sure you have never refered to your customers as idiots? 

NO I have never referred to our customers as idiots. I look at each customer as the person who pays my check and I value and respect them for that. If you don't have that kind of attitude you really don't need to be working in retail.

wow, buying 10 pmags once a week wasn't the end of the world. I get pissed at the ones who buy 30+ in front of me and clear out the dang place when i just wanted 3. At the end of the day I see the same people lashing out and attacking people on these forums for their questionable practices when a simple private message would do. Don't let this forum turn into Sons of Guns with drama and attacks every episode/post.

Being a dumba$$, getting fired then publicly accusing two forum members of getting you fired (from a thread with nearly 4,000 views) deserves a public response.

This thread is all about opinion. You don't get to come here and get pissy with your opinion then get indignant when someone calls you out for being unethical. That ain't how stuff works. If you decide to open your mouth about something, be prepared for someone to have an opinion on it. If you decide to brag about violating your employer's policies at a shooting supply retailer, understand that on a site with thousands of local members some of them may frequent said retailer... some may even know who you are.

EDIT:

I have yet to receive a PM from Dub in regards to the subject nor have I seen him publicly retract his accusations and apologize, so all comments on his character not only remain, they have clearly been verified. Edited by TMF

NO I have never referred to our customers as idiots. I look at each customer as the person who pays my check and I value and respect them for that. If you don't have that kind of attitude you really don't need to be working in retail.

Well when you have one of your customers tell you they can't pay their car payment this month because they were going on vacation to Disneyworld maybe you would understand.  Or when you have a customer say that they would like to drive without insurance this month and don't grasp why thats not allowed on their contract(or legally in TN) because they just bought a TV at Rent-A-Center and that payment is more important to them....oh but I digress....I guess you only work with the smartest, brightest, and most talented customers in the world...must be nice sitting on that pedastal.

Edit: TDR you got PM :-)

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
Guest RevScottie

Well when you have one of your customers tell you they can't pay their car payment this month because they were going on vacation to Disneyworld maybe you would understand.  Or when you have a customer say that they would like to drive without insurance this month and don't grasp why thats not allowed on their contract(or legally in TN) because they just bought a TV at Rent-A-Center and that payment is more important to them....oh but I digress....I guess you only work with the smartest, brightest, and most talented customers in the world...must be nice sitting on that pedastal.

Edit: TDR you got PM :-)

The customers actions do not control my reaction. Even if I disagree with them it can be done with respect.

RevScottie....obviously you jump to conclusions quickly.  I sell cars for a living so controlling my reactions goes with the job...but that doesnt mean later when im talking with my employees we don't comment on what a moron we just dealt with.  A slack jawed knuckle dragger is still a slack jawed knuckle dragger whether I point it out or not. 

MagicCR.....I happen to agree with you.  People are idiots a lot of times.  The difference here is the guy was reveling in and boasting his idiocy/opinion.  If you are in the CS business, how much sense does it make to call your customers idiots?  Especially on a local state board?  Is that not asking for trouble?  Again, Dub couldn't heed an upfront warning to shut his mouth.  He was given plenty of warning that most people would have heeded.  IMO, it puts him on par with the customers he was disparaging.  

I imagine you deal with some stupid people in your job.  I get that.  But if you went online and called your customers stupid, would you not expect some sort of reaction?  Even if you couldn't predict that action?  I may disagree with some of the thing in my job....I don't go online and blast them without expecting repercussions. 

• Like 1
Guest RevScottie

ScoutFSU(edit sp) I agree completely...I think I might have got a bit sidetracked with Rev. :-)

Scoutfsu that is exactly what i was trying to say.

Customers are no doubt difficult and no one would expect you to not discuss that behind closed doors at your business. My problem was with doing it in public where everyone including the so called "idiot customers" can view it and then being upset over the repurcussions. Bottom line is customers still are your source of income in the retail world and no matter how difficult they are to deal with if you don't value them someone else will. I'm sure everyone puts up with tons of crap just to make a living but its how you handle it that determines if you and your business are successful or not.

Edited by RevScottie

same here

Today was the first time I opened this thread. I intentionally stayed out of it knowing this would be a hot topic right now.

Dub, as far as what you did I have no clue whether you knew what company policy was before but if you did know it was against policy and did it anyway you should have been disciplined. Same as the policy of showing up to work on time or not taking a ton of breaks. If you didn't know then I can have a little sympathy but ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. I am not going to comment on whether what you did was morally wrong or right but I will say I would not have done the same. Does that make me morally better than you? I don't think so.

I think the worst part was saying, publically, that your customers are idiots. Not all customers are idiots or as knowledgeable as you. That is why they come to you, or at least did, looking to you for advice. It may be true that some come across as idiots but that is where you need to stand up and try to educate them. Knowledge is power but the true power is when you are in a position to be able to share it. The fact you said the customers were idiots and that you don't care what the customers, or non employee customers as you put it, think probably is another reason why your employer came down on you so strongly. I suspect that was the biggest reason you were fired. Those customers, and what they think, make the business successful or a failure and to say you don't care shows you don't care about those customers that pay your paycheck.

As far as who wrote the letter I have no clue. I can say with great certainty that neither of the two you accused are probably the ones who wrote it. Was it warranted? I know I wouldn't but one of your customers, who you said you don't care about, seemed to care enough to write it.

I hope you are able to return to work before too long and I hope your next job is better than the last. And I hope your family doesn't have to suffer because of this.

Someone asked me to close the thread but I am going to leave it open for now for discussion. As long as we don't start attacking members or start beating a dead horse I will leave it open.

Dolomite

I would like to openly apologize for my participation in at least somewhat pushing this thread off track. I would also like to apologize for allowing my emotions to get the better of me and making what could have easily appeared to be personal attacks towards at least one member who didn't quite share the same viewpoint as myself. I stand firm in my beliefs and opinions on the matter, but I shouldn't have allowed myself to get so worked up over it.

In the end, we are all in this together. I've made some great friends and acquaintances via TGO over the last several years, and this subject isn't worth damaging any of that. Peace!

Bottom line, take the original "morality" issue out of the equation, and you're left with someone who violated company policy, bragged about it publicly, admitted he would/will do it again, and called the customers of his employer "idiots."  Someone took one or more parts of that to heart, wrote to the company, and explained the situation.  After the guy reaps the whirlwind, he comes back to throw out accusations against members here because things went bad for him.

There is only one person at fault for this entire situation, and that person is not the member who wrote the letter nor the CEO of the company.  Hopefully, he'll get another job soon and not play in the grey areas to pick up a little extra cash.

Mac

Well to get back on track, I would have no problem selling one of my AR' s at current market prices . 

I'm sitting well in all areas of this current fiasco on pricing . I guess I have been collecting over the past few years . When  I have found good buys I have taken advantage of it. I have also helped out some fellow TGO members during this period with items they were looking for at pre- current market prices . 

Edited by R1100R
  • Like 1
Guest twpayne75

Well to get back on track, I would have no problem selling one of my AR' s at current market prices . 

I'm sitting well in all areas of this current fiasco on pricing . I guess I have been collecting over the past few years . When  I have found good buys I have taken advantage of it. I have also helped out some fellow TGO members during this period with items they were looking for at pre- current market prices . 

Well some others here have changed my opinion on things. If I decide I want something I am going to have to pay the inflated price. I was considering a SCAR, and if I get one now I am paying dearly. If this ammo craze doesn't change soon I will start selling off guns anyway. As much fun as they are to look at and fondle, if I can't actually shoot them regularly I would rather not have them. I am to the point now that I am nervous about shooting much up. And I will NOT pay 75 cents to a $1 a round for FMJ .233.

For you guys that reload, is it any better? I would consider getting a reloading setup (that I should have done years ago anyway). But I have a feeling I would be no better off. If you can't find the components the hardware is no good. 

Well some others here have changed my opinion on things. If I decide I want something I am going to have to pay the inflated price. I was considering a SCAR, and if I get one now I am paying dearly. If this ammo craze doesn't change soon I will start selling off guns anyway. As much fun as they are to look at and fondle, if I can't actually shoot them regularly I would rather not have them. I am to the point now that I am nervous about shooting much up. And I will NOT pay 75 cents to a $1 a round for FMJ .233.

For you guys that reload, is it any better? I would consider getting a reloading setup (that I should have done years ago anyway). But I have a feeling I would be no better off. If you can't find the components the hardware is no good. 

Primers are as scarce now as they have ever been.  Bulk levels of bullets are fairly difficult, but not impossible to find.  Getting a reloading setup now wouldn't help you much but I tend to think the components will come back faster than the factory ammo just because so few people reload in relation to those just purchase factory ammo.  I went through this back in 08 and realized that I had started reloading at EXACTLY the wrong time.  Since then, I have worked hard to have enough components available to get me through without noticing anything.  I have the ability to shoot just as much now as I could back in November... except for .22.

As far as having the weapons with no ammo, I feel the same way you do.  If I had something in the safe with nothing to run through it, I'd move it out.  I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter.

Mac