Which way to go with this one

Caster

Picked up a 91/30 mosin today. It's a hex receiver. The bore is just nasty. The rifling is strong so it's hopeful. I will clean it tomorrow and plan on shooting paper patched cast bullets through it. For those who don't know, a paper patch bullet will lap some of the worst bores into a mirror with time.

It has a synthetic stock(gag!) and bubba has really had his way with the old gal. He butt raped the bolt handle. I've gotta get some pictures up, it's BAD!

Anyway, numbers don't match and even if they did, they won't once I replace the bolt body. I'm considering going full on sporter with it since going back would be very difficult by the time I track down the rit stock, hand guard and sling. I'm thinking a really nice Richards Microfit stock and a scope mount either made by me or an older classier one machined to fit.

I've talked bad about her, but she has so e good qualities too. The blueing is extremely good with no rust at all. The trigger is surprisingly good. The bolt face has no pit ring either! It's very clean and smooth. The chamber looks spotless after I forced a paper towel in there. The barrel is too crusty to see the throat. I actually hope it's slightly eroded so I have some room to work in there. Cast bullets work well with a roomy throat as long as my bullet diameter is big enough.

I will show this rifle so e care and attention either way. I have a 235g cast bullet it is going to LOVE! I also have a 230g cast bullet that drops undersized that I will be paper patching for.

I've got to get some pics of the makers marks up too. Be nice to know where it was made.

AIM just sold over 2000 91/30 complete stocks through their site.  They are out now, but there should be a lot of them floating around, the website price was $20 each or 3/$50.  Just a FYI if you decide to go back "stock" with it.

Oh ......oh man......brothers, bow your head in silence with me. I wiped the bridge of the rifle down with chalk so my horrible eyes could read it. It's dated 1940. It's stamped VKT. It was Finnish. No wonder the trigger is so good and the blueing was nice. Shame and pestilence to the bastage that did this! Now, matters are worse. I want it restored more now than ever. Chances of finding an appropriate stock and bolt body? Slim. Chances of monkeys flying out of my butt? Probably better than finding the right wood, bolt and accoutrememnts.
  • Like 1

You need to take it out of the stock and look at the bottom of the receiver near the rear - there should be a mark showing what year the receiver was made and possibly a proofmark for the armory where it was forged.  Many Finn rifles were made with very early production receivers from rifles captured during the Winter Wars (around WWI; receivers date from 1890s onward).

its a shame i didnt see this. i just ordered a ATI stock for one of my 91/30s to bubba it up.

i picked up another 91/30 yesterday.  the bore on it was not so great either. previous owner didnt clean it out correctly after shooting corrosive ammo through it (i learned my lesson on this first hand). plans are to sporterize this one. ive got another 91/30 with a brass stacker scope mount and a LER 2-7 scope on it. i like that setup and ill probably do the same on this one. if it shoots well...plans for now are add the stock, scope mount, scope,  and possibly chop the barrel down a little bit.

purist fear not! i still have a pristine un altered 91/30 and m44 in the safe :)