Chicago's proof of the effectiveness of gun restrictions.

Guest PapaB

Gun control means little or nothing when it comes to crime rates. Memphis consistently has a higher crime rate than Chicago.

Chicago is 4.2 times the size of Memphis. I don’t know how many murders Memphis had last year, but find out and do the math so we can compare them with that story.

I say this because I don’t want the decisions on gun control based on crime rates. It will be used against us. Memphis has very little gun control but is one of the most dangerous cities in this country.

• Like 1
Gun control means little or nothing when it comes to crime rates. Memphis consistently has a higher crime rate than Chicago.
Chicago is 4.2 times the size of Memphis. I don’t know how many murders Memphis had last year, but find out and do the math so we can compare them with that story.

I say this because I don’t want the decisions on gun control based on crime rates. It will be used against us. Memphis has very little gun control but is one of the most dangerous cities in this country.

Yep. Besides, the anti-gun argument is that the guns filter into Chicago and DC from the other states with "lax" gun laws.

- OS
Guest Lester Weevils

Chicago's gun violence problems are all the fault of lax gun laws in Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri and Kentucky, don't ya know! It ain't Chicago's fault!

Guest mikedwood
Chicago's gun violence problems are all the fault of lax gun laws in Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri and Kentucky, don't ya know! It ain't Chicago's fault!

Yeah that's what they say. I dunno when they are going to figure out what makes something an assault weapon is intent. 

Seen a lotta talk about banning "clips" I do feel for you M1 guys.

Using Chicago as an example is a flawed example that gives the gun grabbers more talking points.   Their argument is that these crimes happen because guns out side of the state are easy to obtain and bring back into the state.  Therefore you should expand the coverage of their gun laws to the surrounding states so they have to go further to get guns.

Chicago is more dangerous then active war zones.  That is saying something for a city that had very strict gun control laws.

I’m confused. I go to Chicago all the time; it is my #1 choice for a city to go party in. I stay downtown; I walk or take a cab between the bars and restaurants. I have never had or seen a dangerous incident in Chicago (other than bar fights biggrin.gif ).

I was gambling at Tunica. A friend decided to take the bus to join us. I picked him up at the bus depot in downtown Memphis. I was almost car jacked by five gang bangers, and would have been had I not been paying attention. My friend said the employees at the bus depot told him not to walk outside until his ride got there; it wasn’t safe. That trip caused me to get my carry permit.

All cities have their dangerous areas. Chicago is constantly attacked on this forum claiming high crime rates because they have restrictive gun laws. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If having restrictive gun laws cause  crime how do you explain Memphis or Nashville? Anyone that can afford to pay the state and isn’t a criminal can carry a gun in either of those cities.

Gun laws have little or no impact on crime rates.

I'm on the hating Chicago bandwagon. I go there every couple of years and just think its bulls*** that they take away your option to defend yourself. I don't care if its the safest city in the world, the option to be able to defend myself with a weapon comparable to what criminals have should not be taken away when I enter he city.
Yep. Besides, the anti-gun argument is that the guns filter into Chicago and DC from the other states with "lax" gun laws.

- OS

Maybe. But then how do they explain their drug problems? I guess criminals just don't pay attention to bans no matter what the other states say or do.

[...]Gun laws have little or no impact on crime rates.

Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of people each year who successfully defend themselves against criminals with their ineffective firearms. 

I’m confused. I go to Chicago all the time; it is my #1 choice for a city to go party in. I stay downtown; I walk or take a cab between the bars and restaurants. I have never had or seen a dangerous incident in Chicago (other than bar fights biggrin.gif ).

I was gambling at Tunica. A friend decided to take the bus to join us. I picked him up at the bus depot in downtown Memphis. I was almost car jacked by five gang bangers, and would have been had I not been paying attention. My friend said the employees at the bus depot told him not to walk outside until his ride got there; it wasn’t safe. That trip caused me to get my carry permit.

All cities have their dangerous areas. Chicago is constantly attacked on this forum claiming high crime rates because they have restrictive gun laws. Nothing could be farther from the truth. If having restrictive gun laws cause  crime how do you explain Memphis or Nashville? Anyone that can afford to pay the state and isn’t a criminal can carry a gun in either of those cities.

Gun laws have little or no impact on crime rates.

I lived in "Chicagoland" for 25 years and went into the city as little as possible. I have family that lives in Chicago. If you spend much time there and you've never seen a "dangerous incident", as you refer to it, you're as common as an honest Chicago politician. Don't fall into the "it's not as bad as they say because it hasn't happened to me" trap. Downtown isn't where most of the violent crime occurs.

"Chicago is constantly attacked on this forum claiming high crime rates because they have restrictive gun laws." I certainly don't claim their crime rates are because of restrictive gun laws. They're attacked because they restrict a persons right to defend themselves and they also have a high violent crime rate. If they had proper gun laws they might see a drop in violent crime along with a drop in the number of living criminals.